October Conns!

Alexander

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hats off to BN for reissuing Elmo Hope's BN output. This is a great cd and obviously will be much better soundwise than the 80s release. I have the two JRVGs but will be picking these up and maybe selling those.

Although it's been known for awhile, I like the Ike coming out again. Wonder what the liner notes will be like in comparison to the Mosaic. Sound will be better though.

Hats off to BN for reissuing Elmo Hope's BN output.  This is a great cd and obviously will be much better soundwise than the 80s release.  I have the two JRVGs but will be picking these up and maybe selling those.

Although it's been known for awhile, I like the Ike coming out again.  Wonder what the liner notes will be like in comparison to the Mosaic.  Sound will be better though.

I'm never certain these days that the sound will be better. I hope so, but there's so much compression and eq'ing going on... <_<

Since Elmo Hope was already out (actually twice) in the US, it seems an odd choice for a Connoisseur. My copy is good enough. Also have the McLean and Hill on Mosaic, so the BIG one is the Ike Quebec, something I've wanted to hear for many years. This will be the one for me! :tup

Don Cherry - Where Is Brooklyn (Blue Note Connoisseur) Oct

Booker Ervin - Tex Book Tenor (Blue Note Connoisseur) Oct

— session originally issued on the LP double "Back From the Gig"

Andrew Hill - Andrew!!! (Blue Note Connoisseur) Oct

Elmo Hope - Trio and Quintet (Blue Note Connoisseur) Oct

Jackie McLean - Consequence (Blue Note Connoisseur) Oct

Ike Quebec - The Complete 45 Sessions - 2 CDs (Blue Note Connoisseur) Oct

— collection of his 45's

Spotted on Jazzmatazz's Upcoming section.  Holy Flirking Schnitt!!!  This is some choice stuff!  I can't wait to get my hands on these!!!! :excited:

I've got to get that Andrew Hill session. The Ike Quebec materiel is really nice, although the last session is not as strong as the first two. I've got the Mosaic Box on LP. The Booker Ervin release may be the one which was released in the 1980s on lp as Happy Frame Of Mind under Horace Parlan's name. It is excellent. Great Grant Green on this one. Highly recommended.

Edited by mailman

The Booker Ervin release may be the one which was released in the 1980s on lp as Happy Frame Of Mind under Horace Parlan's name.  It is excellent.  Great Grant Green on this one.  Highly recommended.

Don't know what the hell happened but I spent a great deal of time researching my correction to this post and now it is gone. Here is a short summation.

In the '70s BN issued a 2 lp set called Back From The Gig under Ervin's name. It included the "soon to be released" material (Ervin, Woody Shaw, Kenny Barron, Jan Arnett and Billy Higgins) AND a Horace Parlan date reissued on cd as Happy Frame of Mind with Ervin, Johnny Coles, Grant Green, Butch Warren and Higgins.

Since Elmo Hope was already out (actually twice) in the US, it seems an odd choice for a Connoisseur. My copy is good enough. Also have the McLean and Hill on Mosaic, so the BIG one is the Ike Quebec, something I've wanted to hear for many years. This will be the one for me! :tup

"Odd choice", thought those were my words :g . My copy says it came out in 1991 so that seems like a long time to me unless it came out sooner. However, there are a lot more people who want to buy it now than when it was out so this makes sense to me. Plus, it has to be better sound from that old 16 bit.

The Hope was in the 3rd Collector's Choice set, whenever it was that those happened (1996?). They were repressed but the old dates were left on.

Mike

Not only was it part of the Collector's Choice release, but it was one of those titles that seemed to "hang around" forever. Heck, Tower Records still had a few copies as late as last year. I see it in used bins pretty frequently too. Why Blue Note (or Michael Cuscuna) chose this title is beyond me. Maybe they need one title to flop in every batch? :)

The next thing you know, they'll be putting out James Newton's "African Flower", another Collector's Choice release that's sitting in bins all over.

Kevin

Hats off to BN for reissuing Elmo Hope's BN output.  This is a great cd and obviously will be much better soundwise than the 80s release.  I have the two JRVGs but will be picking these up and maybe selling those.

Although it's been known for awhile, I like the Ike coming out again.  Wonder what the liner notes will be like in comparison to the Mosaic.  Sound will be better though.

I'm never certain these days that the sound will be better. I hope so, but there's so much compression and eq'ing going on... <_<

My thoughts exactly.

Why Blue Note (or Michael Cuscuna) chose this title is beyond me. Maybe they need one title to flop in every batch? :)

I forget how (or why?) the Kenny Cox idea was taken off the table? Too long? So-so sound?

I think it was too long to put both on one disc, so they are working on playing back the master tape about 7% faster to get them to fit.

:rhappy:

I just stumbled on this thread. Hell yea!

The sound quality on the 1991 Elmo Hope release left something to be desired. I don't usually update for better sound. But given the outstanding quality of this music, I will certainly make an exception here.

As for the rest of the batch :g:g:g:g:g:g