Happy July 4th everyone!

Guest Mnytime

Make that a Very Safe Happy July 4th!!!! :party::party::party::party::party:

Of course there is still about 33 minutes for those of us on the West Coast. ;)

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

Looks like you and I are the only two who are awake right now, Mny! :eye: Maybe everyone else is drunk or something. :P:party:

It means everyone else has a life and apparently we don't. :g

Well, it is now the early evening of July 4th in Tokyo and thus time to celebrate with a few alcoholic beverages. Of course, being English, I will be lifting a glass to the wisdom of my forefathers in granting independence to a young America in 1776.

Happy July the 4th to all the American posters out there.

But a belated mention must be made to wish myself, and all Canadian posters on the board, a happy Canada Day, which fell on July 1 (for those who care, Canada officially became a country July 1, 1867).

Guest Mnytime

Hey, no drinkin' and drivin', alright?

Have a nice safe holiday. I'm off to see The Hulk!

Yes, please be safe out there!!

I am stuck indoors today. The heat doesn't agree with me these days.

Just returned from a great barbecued meal, jazz, exquisite wine, and inspiring conversation at the house of nearby-living friends. One of the deserts was the star spangled banner replicated with whipped cream, blueberries and raspberries, carefully laid out on a naughty bed of sponge cake and cognac. :g

Edited by Christiern

Just returned from a great barbecued meal, jazz, exquisite wine, and inspiring conversation at the house of nearby-living friends. One of the deserts was the star spangled banner replicated with whipped cream, blueberries and raspberries, carefully laid out on a naughty bed of sponge cake and cognac. :g

Damn, that's making me hungry. :g Oh yeah, and can you mention the address of this place, Chris, I might have to drop by someday. :P

I didn't have a very happy 4th. Let me tell you what happened:

My wife and I took my daughter (who was just diagnosed with Lyme disease, by the way) downtown to see the fireworks last night. All went well for the first part of the evening. My daughter was very well behaved as we waited for it to get dark. A few minutes before the fireworks were to begin, I realized that I really needed to use the bathroom, so I got up and picked my way through the huge crowd to where the porta-johns were. Once I got there, I realized that there was no way in hell that I could wait in that long line and get back in time for the fireworks to begin, so I turned around and started back. I decided to find an alternate route. One that wouldn't require me to push my way through the crowd. I managed to get parallel to where my wife and daughter were, but was stopped by security. Apparently, the stretch of grass I needed to cross was off-limits. So I turned around again, it was quite dark by this point, and headed back to the porta-johns. Once there, I forced my way back into the crowd (which had closed ranks in anticipation of the fireworks about to start) and stepped over and around people (excusing myself all the while) trying to get back where I needed to be. By this point, the fireworks had begun, and I was getting a little anxious. It was now too dark to see faces, and I was concerned that I might overshoot my family and get myself lost. At this point, I was halted by a big, fat, drunken idiot who refused to let me by. Every time I'd say, "Excuse me, I need to get by" he would ignore me. I started pushing my way past him, and he turned on me in a rage.

"What the hell are you doing?!"

"Excuse me! I need to get by."

"Don't you push me!"

"I said 'excuse me' several times. You wouldn't let me by."

"What the fuck are you doing walking around during the fireworks anyway?"

"I'm trying to get back to my family!"

"They left! They couldn't wait to get away from YOU!"

"Would you let me by, please?"

"Make me!"

"I'm not dealing with this anymore..."

With that, I started pushing my way through once more. The guy handed his beer to a friend, and started swinging at me. He caught me on the side of my head, in the neck, the shoulder, and in my ribs. I didn't hit back, but started grappling with him to keep him from hitting me any more. We struggled for a moment, and I found myself pushed into the crowd (knocking a few people over in the process). I recovered myself, and moved away. By this point, people had made room for me to get where I needed to go. I made it back to my wife, who asked me if everything was okay. I said, No it wasn't. I had just gotten into a fight.

Well, I felt like I really shouldn't have been up and pushing my way through the crowd when I was, so I felt at least partially responsible. However, a little later on, during the fireworks, we heard an altercation behind us. The guy who had hit me was now fighting with somebody else! I didn't feel so bad after that. It wasn't that I was being rude: He was just an asshole!

I'm at work right now, and sore as hell.

Dude, does bad luck follow you EVERY damn where? I thought I'd been on a losing streak lately, but GEEZ!

Sorry to hear about that most unpleasant outing. It shouldn't be that way.

And most importantly - here's wishing the VERY best for your daughter.

Well, I got my own little party going on here accompanied by Jimmy Smith on the organ and Kenny Burrell on guitar and Grady Tate on drums.  We're having a high old time!  :party:  :party:  :party:

How much you pay for a gig like that?

$8 :g

You obviously didn't book it through the AFM! ;)

Dude, does bad luck follow you EVERY damn where? I thought I'd been on a losing streak lately, but GEEZ!

Sorry to hear about that most unpleasant outing. It shouldn't be that way.

And most importantly - here's wishing the VERY best for your daughter.

Thanks for your wishes. Fortunately, we caught it right away (she got the tick bite less than a week ago, and we took her to the doctor as soon as the bullseye mark appeared on her arm). She's taking antibiotics twice a day for the next twenty days, and according to the doctor should suffer no ill-effects (since she hasn't yet shown any symptoms). With any luck, this should blow over.

Sorry to hear about your mishaps, Alex. Seems like you handled it the best you could. You obviously didn't take advantage of his drunken state to level him, but that was probably wise.

Hmm, maybe better keep away from the proletariat masses next time, Alex ;)

Good news that your daughter will be fine.