WORLD CUP 2006 / GERMANY

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, Vieira 2-1! What the hell is the matter with Spain?? They controlled the game in the first half, and they've given it away in the second...

Torres even tried to pull a "Figo" on Vieira to turn that tide. To try and get Vieira his second yellow, God punished Torres by letting Vieira score.

Edited by couw

Experience over youthful energy and I can't say the victory was undeserved. This team will go down kicking and screaming. Second half was definitely not as good as the first and the Spanish team looked a bit ragged. I don't really think the Puyol card was worthy of a free kick but so be it.

I don't really think the Puyol card was worthy of a free kick but so be it.

true. And I was just going to remark re. my prevous comment that someone pulled a "Figo" on him there. For once the ref was a bit further away and the guys on the pitch seem to know how to use it...

For once a good ref BTW.

Ghana showed that they're a pretty good possession team with good build-up in the attack, but mediocre finishing. I don't blame Brazil for playing that counter game... absorb the attacks, take advantage of a foolish offside trap, and win going away. They could have definitely played prettier in midfield possession, I'll admit.

Before I say anything else about the France/Spain match, I would say that France definitely earned this win. They capitalized on their opportunities, just as Brazil had done. Ribery looked far better than the last time I saw him.

As the game developed, I was getting disgusted with Henry's play. His talent was going to waste due to his sitting in an offside position over and over. I hate that... he's plenty talented still to play it even and not cheat (and waste so many attacks). When I saw the replay of the foul on Puyol (the play where he was carded for elbowing Henry), I was further disgusted. An arm to the chest, and Henry goes down holding his face. That kind of shit is what can completely ruin a game. Maybe it would have this time, if it hadn't happened in the 83rd minute. One thing about a player like Brian McBride (and call it naive if you want), you won't see that kind of shit from him. Puyol did cut him off (didn't play the ball), so I suppose the card was fair. The fact that Vieira got the goal off the ensuing free kick... well, France earned that fairly. Spain looked like a potential winnner after 45 minutes, but France was too smart for them in the second half. On the play where Ribery sent Henry behind Puyol, the french midfield had clustered to totally clog up Spain's attack, and Ribery's interception and quick pass were just what France needed. Puyol should have realized that he had a teammate running onto that ball, tracking back from the left flank. The foul was unnecessary.

Congratulations to France. :tup

Ghana showed that they're a pretty good possession team with good build-up in the attack, but mediocre finishing. I don't blame Brazil for playing that counter game... absorb the attacks, take advantage of a foolish offside trap, and win going away. They could have definitely played prettier in midfield possession, I'll admit.

Before I say anything else about the France/Spain match, I would say that France definitely earned this win. They capitalized on their opportunities, just as Brazil had done. Ribery looked far better than the last time I saw him.

As the game developed, I was getting disgusted with Henry's play. His talent was going to waste due to his sitting in an offside position over and over. I hate that... he's plenty talented still to play it even and not cheat (and waste so many attacks). When I saw the replay of the foul on Puyol (the play where he was carded for elbowing Henry), I was further disgusted. An arm to the chest, and Henry goes down holding his face. That kind of shit is what can completely ruin a game. Maybe it would have this time, if it hadn't happened in the 83rd minute. One thing about a player like Brian McBride (and call it naive if you want), you won't see that kind of shit from him. Puyol did cut him off (didn't play the ball), so I suppose the card was fair. The fact that Vieira got the goal off the ensuing free kick... well, France earned that fairly. Spain looked like a potential winnner after 45 minutes, but France was too smart for them in the second half. On the play where Ribery sent Henry behind Puyol, the french midfield had clustered to totally clog up Spain's attack, and Ribery's interception and quick pass were just what France needed. Puyol should have realized that he had a teammate running onto that ball, tracking back from the left flank. The foul was unnecessary.

Congratulations to France. :tup

This wasn't Henry's season. With Arsenal he played quite a few mediocre games, and in this World Cup he was pretty bad. I hate his theatrical behaviour, he doesn't need that. Henry doesn't really fit into this French team, and he knows it.

Edited by J.A.W.

I was diasappointed to see Henry over acting on the foul.

I think his being offsides a lot is forgivable. Sometimes you have to walk that line to get an advantage. When you beat the trap you're a hero but if you never do, your a lazy good for nothin'. Several of his offsides were the fault of the through pass not coming early enough. If Cesc was playing for France he'd have sent Henry through for a couple chances at goal.

I thought Spain was taking some chances playing such a high line. Henry can be lethal attacking a back line like that.

Another missed offside in the first half. The linesmen seem to be unable or unwilling to see across the field and see that a far side defender is keeping the attacker onside.

The fact that he's a major star and a role model for young players makes it that much worse for me. I'm more than disappointed.

I think his being offsides a lot is forgivable. Sometimes you have to walk that line to get an advantage.

Yeah, walk the line- don't keep stepping behind it! ^_^

When you beat the trap you're a hero but if you never do, your a lazy good for nothin'. Several of his offsides were the fault of the through pass not coming early enough. If Cesc was playing for France he'd have sent Henry through for a couple chances at goal.

I'll grant you some of that, Scott. I think Henry might have had the line of defenders behind him on one or two of those as well, which of course makes it more difficult to time your move. Still, there were a few where he should have been able to see he was going to be offside. That's just lazy, and not only stifles the team's attempts at attacking, it bores a lot of viewers (and frustrates a lot of old farts like me who used to play forward, and love to watch offenses click!).

I thought Spain was taking some chances playing such a high line. Henry can be lethal attacking a back line like that.

Exactly... so a player of his caliber should give himself every chance to receive those passes in an onside position (I just never give up, do I? :lol: ).

Another missed offside in the first half. The linesmen seem to be unable or unwilling to see across the field and see that a far side defender is keeping the attacker onside.

I hear you... I've seen a couple of missed ones in the last few matches (Adriano, anyone?). Even so, I still think they're doing a fairly decent job. They're not going to get them all right, and the passive offside factor (which seems to be coming into play more and more) can make it more difficult for the linesmen to stay focused on where to look when the ball is released. As much as I'd like them to get the highest possible percentage of these right, I can accept a blown one here and there if they're close. The ones that really bug me are the ones where the linesman is apparently watching another match on his cell phone. ^_^

Thierry Henry in the aftermath of the Champions League final against Barcelona, during which he got a bit of kicking said...

"Next time I'll learn to dive maybe, but I'm not a woman"

After last night's performance it seems the lessons are going pretty well.