WORLD CUP 2006 / GERMANY

From the BBC:

Zinedine Zidane has been banned for three games and fined £3,260 for head-butting Italy's Marco Materazzi during the World Cup final. Following an investigation by world governing body Fifa, Materazzi was suspended for two games and fined £2,170 for provoking Zidane.

Fair enough!

However the disciplinary commission did not take away Zidane's title of best player in the World Cup.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

... and nr. 2 position in the French singles sales goes to TV entertainer Sebastien Cauet's 'Zidane Y Va Marquer' which went on sale a few days before the France-Italy final match of the World Cup!

The producers of 'Coup de Boule' made a copy of the Cauet song and changed the words of the tune!

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight, the real significance of recent leaps and bounds by Australian soccer really kicks in.

With the World Cup over, the Socceroos take on Kuwait in Sydney in an Asian Cup qualifier. Sold-out crowd of 40,000+, while I'll be beer drinking in a CBD bar frequented by the green and gold army (I think - I also got a lot of goodies in the mail today).

Get this: There is not a single player in the Australian team who played in Germany. Thankfully, there has not been weeping and moaning over this. Somer former Socceroos have been recalled for experience and there is a wealth of youngsters getting their first chances to press for Olympic and potential South Africa trips.

And against what will prolly be a tough but supremely beatable amateur side, that should be enough. Besides, Lebanon has withdrawn making it a three-team group, two going through to the Asian Cup finals.

It's a huge thing for me/us - normally, even after finally making the World Cup finals, we'd have to wait about three years to see the Socceroos working hard. And now here they are, mere weeks after Germany and with plenty more to come.

• 3 weeks later...

almost as heartfealt as Cruise to Shields ...

World Cup insult about Zidane's sister

Sep. 5, 2006. 11:46 AM

ASSOCIATED PRESS

ROME — Italy's Marco Materazzi said he insulted Zinedine Zidane's sister, revealing nearly two months after the World Cup final what provoked the French star to head-butt him in the chest.

In Tuesday's interview with the Gazzetta dello Sport, Materazzi disclosed that after he held his opponent's shirt, Zidane said: "If you want, I'll give you the jersey later."

"I responded that I preferred his sister, it's true," Materazzi said. "It wasn't something nice, true. But luckily there have been dozens of players who have confirmed that a lot worse things are said on the field."

Zidane was sent off after receiving a red card for the head-butt. Italy went on to win on penalty kicks.

Materazzi received a two-game ban for the July 9 incident and will miss Wednesday's rematch of the final, a 2008 European Championship qualifier. Zidane received a three-match suspension, but he retired after the World Cup.

Materazzi said that the Italian federation, in the middle of a match-fixing scandal, told him not to complain about the incident during a FIFA hearing.

"If accepting without raising my voice was the price to pay for having brought home the World Cup, I'm pretty happy to have paid it," Materazzi said.

Asked if the two could make peace, Materazzi said: "You sign a peace (agreement) after terrible wars, so why can't Zidane and I make peace?

"A peace among men, without a lot of publicity. The door to my house will always be open for that. And if Zidane wants, he knows where to find my address."

Sweet revenge. France have beaten Italy tonight in Paris in a qualifying game for the Euro 2008. Result 3-1

No Zidane - No Materazzi and no Italy either. :g A great game from the French. I am starting to feel a bit better!! :D

Edited by ASNL77

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

What Matrazzi said to Zidane...

From AP.

THE TRUTH COMES OUT

Materazzi reveals insult of Zidane at 2006 World Cup

Posted: Saturday August 18, 2007

MILAN, Italy (AP) -- Italy defender Marco Materazzi finally disclosed what he said to Zinedine Zidane in the World Cup final that provoked the French star to retaliate with a head-butt.

"I prefer the whore that is your sister," Materazzi said during an interview in next week's edition of Italian magazine TV Sorrisi E Canzoni, according to Italian news reports Saturday. He previously acknowledged he had insulted Zidane's sister.

Zidane head-butted Materazzi in the chest with 10 minutes left in last year's final. He was sent off for violent conduct, ending his stellar career with a red card.

Italy went on to win the game in a penalty-kick shootout after the score was 1-1 after extra time.

Materazzi, who received a two-game ban for incitement, has since apologized to Zidane.

France coach Raymond Domenech this month lauded Materazzi's strategy for getting Zidane sent off.

"I say 'bravo' to him," the coach said.

Edited by brownie

Zadine is one of te nicest person to be found in the soccer field. He is also one of the most stupid! And also one of the most impulsive!

Before that fateful World Cup final match, Zidane had run into trouble several times by physically confronting opponents.

He was expelled several times when he played with the Bordeaux team in an early stage of his career.

Another butthead incident - but there were others - took place during a Champions League match in October 2000 when he hit the Hamburg team player Kientz. Zidane was playing with the Juventus Turin team at the time.

... and Zizou remains the most popular Frenchman :blink:

From DPA:

Former footballer Zidane remains French favourite

Aug 19, 2007,

Paris - Even after the end of his football career the former captain of France's national team Zinedine Zidane remains the favourite of the French, the Paris-based Journal du Dimanche reported on Sunday.

According to a countrywide poll for the paper, the 35-year old heads the list of France's top 50 people, followed by singer and former tennis champion Yannick Noah and the environmentalist and television presenter Nicolas Hulot.

In the polls, which are conducted every six months, politicians rarely make it into the top ranks.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy is currently number 25.