WORLD CUP 2006 / GERMANY

And Scotland got a draw against Italy!  Simply amazing!

I was on a gig Saturday night, but caught about half and hour of this before playing - roughly 15 minutes either side of half time. Italy seemed to be ALL OVER Scotland. That said, Scotland looked tenacious, and Kenny Miller was up for it for sure. Nice goal, too.

David Weir did a pretty awesome job in the first half as well.

Great result, though, and I'd really liked to have seen Scotland tough it out for the victory.

Having asserted earlier in this thread that John Terry was the world's best centreback at present, let's continue the theme: I think Zambrotta is, if not the best leftback in the world, then amongst them.

BTW, it sounds as though Brazil were rampant last night - 5-0, with a hat-trick for Robinho... :wacko:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a big fan of fotball nor an expert, but I watch at tv half of the game Brasil Chile. Wow!

I am sorry for the rest of the world, me included, but BRASIL IS THE TEAM. I wish Italy could have the long gone defense of AC Milan, Baresi, Maldini, Albertini and Costacurta, against the Cariocas.

The Socceroos beat Solomon Islands 7-0, and must now play the fith-placed South American side home and away to get through to the cup. That's Uruguat at the moment - the side that put the Australians out last time around.

Meanwhile, two rounds in, the brand new Aussie A-League has surely surprised even the boss honchos, with amazing crowds that rival (at the lower end sof the scale) those of rugby league and AFL (Aussie rules). The games I have seen on TV have been OK, if a little shaky defensively. But it's great the public is swinging behind these teams.

I saw the US-Mexico game. Pretty oridinary, especially in the first half, but the two goals were pure class!

Actually, at the risk of indulging in pop psychology, one of the great things about football is that you can be entirely irrationally and bigotted and not feel bad about it.

In which spirit, is there a better stopper in the game than Petr Cech?

Iker Casillas of Spain, for one.

Actually, at the risk of indulging in pop psychology, one of the great things about football is that you can be entirely irrationally and bigotted and not feel bad about it.

Good shout. I like Casillas (not sure I'll concede better, but ;) ).

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned any of the Italians:

Toldo, Buffon, Peruzzi, Abbiati, Antonionli - hell, even Cudicini, the Chelsea second keeper, is probably the second best in England!!!

Good shout. I like Casillas (not sure I'll concede better, but ;) ).

Toldo, Buffon, Peruzzi, Abbiati, Antonionli - hell, even Cudicini, the Chelsea second keeper, is probably the second best in England!!!

Yes, I'm sort of surprised one that he got so quickly passed over and secondly that he's still a backup.

I agree. The fans absolutely love him, for one. I guess also the schedules are so full now (Premiership, Champions' League, FA Cup, League Cup, Internationals for most of the squad) that he reckons (probably correctly) that he'll get a regular game.

Arsenal made a very concerted effort to sign him last year. I am VERY glad they didn't!

What a coincidence, I just watched at tv a program about the lack of italian young goalkeepers, it seems that our famous goalkeeper's school is faded. We imported gk from overseas, Dida is the name I remember at the moment. The old times of Dino Zoff are gone!

What a coincidence, I just watched at tv a program about the lack of italian young goalkeepers, it seems that our famous goalkeeper's school is faded. We imported gk from overseas, Dida is the name I remember at the moment. The old times of Dino Zoff are gone!

It'll certainly be a hard act to live up to once that generation have gone!

I thought the Dutch played badly last Saturday, but the English were even worse today. What a mess...

how where the Dutch today? I only saw the goals here. Looked nice enough.

Well, they were much better than last Saturday, but it still wasn't very good. Andorra were awful, with a lot of fouls and bad, unsporting behaviour. The Dutch should have won with a lot more goals than 4-0. The Hungarian referee was pretty bad too, he wasn't up to this kind of game.

The Dutch are still in first place, four points ahead of the Czech Republic, with two games left for each side. The next game is against the Czech Republic in Prague, early October, and the final game a few days later at home against Macedonia.

Edited by J.A.W.

What an excellent night's football last night! Despite having one of the best squads England played abysmally and were deservedly beaten by Northern Ireland. Alan Hansen blamed it on them not playing 4-4-2 and questioned the manager's wisdom in persisting with a formation that relegates Rooney to the wing but players of that class should have been able to do better than they did.

But the real treat of the evening was Scotland's decisive thrashing of Norway. The latter were played off the park, at times even toyed with and the consolation goal the Norwegians got at the end can't hide the fact that Scotland look a totally different team to the vapid nonentities of a year ago. What a difference a new manager makes! Alas, it is probably still too late for us to qualify as we need not only to win our two remaining games but hope that others lose.

Why isn't Bruce Arena bringing Freddy Adu to some of these meaningless WCQ games?  Now that the US has a spot locked up, it would be a good chance to get him some valuable experience.

If Quaranta and Chad Marshall can get a look, why not Adu?

So far this was their first and only meaningless game, so let's see what develops. Maybe it has to do with the fact that there are limited roster spots, and Freddy, still a relatively young and inexperienced kid, is still working his way up toward the front of the line. Frankly, I'm very glad we've reached a point where some very good players are not currently in the mix. Depth may prove to be very important if injuries become a serious problem for the higher level players.

Quaranta looks okay to me, but mostly for his energy. He's pretty good with the ball, but sometimes I question his decisions and his passing skills.

I was frustrated (again) with our (lack of) finishing against Guatemala. It was good to see Twellman and Cunningham get an opportunity, but it's tough when you have to hope for "instant chemistry" like that with a group of backups. Still, we have to find a way to take advantage of our good chances. Eddie Johnson's header off Donovan's service in the late going was the most glaring failure in that regard. A little rust after his injury layoff, perhaps, but there's just no excuse for blowing a chance like that.

This newspaper is a national disgrace too! I have been living in this country for 7 years now and I love it but the press...........! And thinking that this paper has the highest circulation in the UK makes me sick! :bad:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005410601,00.html

Edited by ASNL77