WORLD CUP 2006 / GERMANY

Ireland 0 France 1.  :)  I am feeling much better!

Presidential impersonator fools France's soccer players

An impersonator pretending to be President Jacques Chirac asked France's national soccer players to put their hands over their hearts during the national anthem before a World Cup qualifying match at Ireland.

Complete article: http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/internationa...0in023000c.html

The phone call with Zidane can be heard here: http://www.rireetchansons.fr/gerald_dahan/...nsons_dahan.mp3

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ireland 0 France 1.  :)  I am feeling much better!

The next game in Switzerland is crucial.

Big upset in Belfast: Northern Ireland 1 England 0

I am not quite sure if I should use this one  :blink: , that one  :ph34r:  or that one: :D

May I suggest (and I say this as an Englishman):

:rofl:

We were comical, at best.

The masterstroke? For me, it had to be bringing on Hargreaves for Lampard with ten minutes left, needing a goal to salvage anything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Dutch finally played well and beat the Czech Republic in Prague, 0-2. This result means that the Netherlands, England (in spite of their not very convincing performance against Austria), Poland and Croatia have all qualified for Germany 2006 :tup

Congratulations to the Dutch, the English, etc... :tup and condolences to 1ngram and fans of the Scots.

I haven't seen any really good games recently. In fact, I've been frustrated in watching the sport in general, mainly becuase I've seen several games in a row where there were egregious errors made (costing a few teams a precious goal) by linesmen in applying the offside rule. I'm not talking about any sort of subtle aspect of the rule, either. I'm talking about calling a man offside when he was FIVE YARDS onside when the ball was played through to him. I HATE seeing this- especially when it's a high level international game. These linesmen need to be schooled! As a former attacking player who had my share of absurd offside calls made against me (okay, I admit- it was only in recreational leagues ^_^ ), I'm sensitive to this bullshit!! A well-timed run, a nicely timed pass, a well-taken goal... these are what (for me) go a long way to making the sport such a joy to watch. And then some idiot who isn't qualified to stand on the goddamned field, let alone make important calls, screws it all up. I know a lot of those calls are close (subjective), but for crying out loud, HOW can they get SO many easy ones wrong? :angry:

Ahh... thanks for letting me vent. :)

Time to go watch the U.S. vs Costa Rica (the linesmen better not screw up tonight). :)

France still manages to fail as a winning team. They tied 1-1 to Switzerland and will have to defeat Cyprus next Wednesday to qualify.

With or without Zidane, the team is not fit to play the 2006 World Cup!

What do you think might be the problem? Too old, too fed up? Wrong tactics?

[What do you think might be the problem? Too old, too fed up? Wrong tactics?

I would say, wrong coach. Raymond Domenech has failed to build a real national team. Domenech started by trying a number of players and never stopped...

The team spirit just went away.

And bringing back Zidane instead of relying on promising new players is not the way to create a worthy team.

France still manages to fail as a winning team. They tied 1-1 to Switzerland ...

not that I really care, but: :P

OK Switzerland proved to be a good match for the French team BUT the Swiss goal was headed against his side by Lilian Thuram :(

On the other hand I've heard (of course I haven't seen a minute of the match, myself...) that once the French could only stop one of the swiss by attacking him? Doesn't exactly make a good impression! Has God turned his back to Zidane? Or was that only the media/marketing God anyway, that talked to him? Or was it la liberté?

LIBERTE.JPG

Would she speak to Arabs? :P

[On the other hand I've heard (of course I haven't seen a minute of the match, myself...) that once the French could only stop one of the swiss by attacking him? Doesn't exactly make a good impression!

That's what some of the French team players are down to these days...

I'm sorry to say this but the team is just not World Cup worthy :(

And LAL, yes, it's good to have those African teams making it for the first time. They should provide interesting soccer games!

[What do you think might be the problem? Too old, too fed up? Wrong tactics?

I would say, wrong coach. Raymond Domenech has failed to build a real national team. Domenech started by trying a number of players and never stopped...

The team spirit just went away.

And bringing back Zidane instead of relying on promising new players is not the way to create a worthy team.

Sounds familiar, the Dutch had more or less the same problems with their last coach, Dick Advocaat; he also relied on older players instead of trying out youngsters.

The Czech team managed to secure their participation in the finals by beating Finland three to nil earlier this evening.

Erm, that's not quite right; the Czech team qualified for the play-offs, they didn't qualify directly; only the two "best" second-placed teams qualify directly, and those are either England or Poland, and either Croatia or Sweden (whoever finish second in their group).

The Czech team managed to secure their participation in the finals by beating Finland three to nil earlier this evening.

Erm, that's not quite right; the Czech team qualified for the play-offs, they didn't qualify directly; only the two "best" second-placed teams qualify directly, and those are either England or Poland, and either Croatia or Sweden (whoever finish second in their group).

yes, sorry about that. This is too complicated for me to keep up with, sitting in front of a German Fernseher, where we only get this shitty friendly play between Germany and China today...

yes, sorry about that. This is too complicated for me to keep up with, sitting in front of a German Fernseher, where we only get this shitty friendly play between Germany and China today...

My heartfelt condolences, that must be dreadful... :);)

It looks like France will qualify directly after all, they are 3-0 up against Cyprus, while the score at the Irish Republic v. Switzerland game is still 0-0.

Yes. It looks like the story is finished for Israel....

:(:(:(

I'm afraid so, they remained unbeaten but drew too many games.