Live Hank

Raoul Duke

I've been enjoying Hank Mobley's performance with the Wynton Kelly trio at the Famous Ballroom in Baltimore recently and was wondering what other live material is available (particularly from the mid to late 60s)?

Thanks in advance.

Yoroshiku.

Anthony.

p.s.Can the Downbeat article discussed in this thread be found anywhere else online? I would very much like to read it, and indeed anything else on Hank you can recommend.

There is in circulation among collectors about two and a half hours of quartet recordings from Denmark, 1968 with Kenny Drew and Tootie Heath in the quartet. There's also a German broadcast tape going around of about thirty mintutes duration of a quintet with Johnny Griffin. I think that's all I know of.

two and a half hours of quartet recordings from Denmark, 1968 with Kenny Drew and Tootie Heath

German broadcast tape...of a quintet with Johnny Griffin

Both of these sound very interesting, particularly the material with Kenny Drew. Are they readily available? How would I go about acquiring them?

Thanks,

Anthony.

Edited by Raoul Duke

Guest akanalog

the stuff from 68 with kenny drew et al. is of terrible sound quality. i think tootie heath is on drums? but it almost isn't worth acquiring because of the horrid sound.

the stuff from 68 with kenny drew et al. is of terrible sound quality.  i think tootie heath is on drums?  but it almost isn't worth acquiring because of the horrid sound.

Hmmm. . .what I have heard does not sound that bad. . . :blink:

Raoul, this material is not officially commercially available and has only been circulated among collectors for the most part (though some of it seems to be from vinyl sources (?). . . .

To follow rules of the board, one would have to use Private Messaging or email to work out obtaining copies.