Harold Land

Soulstation1

This LP pretty much rules all the way through.

As a sidenote, on the day that I brought it home (i.e. the first time I ever played it) my record player was still on 45rpm from the last thing I had listened to earlier in the day. Those of you who are already familiar with this record know that the title track is already a scorcher. Well... imagine it at half-again its original speed! I remember thinking to myself, "son of a b*tch, that's fast!" Then, of course, I went back into the other room, took a peek at the table, and went, "oh..".

(I still play it at 45rpm every once in a while.) :blush:

Great album.  Here's the original Hi Fi Jazz cover...

LPre%20181.jpg

(note the colored-in area where a price sticker was torn off...  :unsure: I think that could have been MY copy!  :huh: )

Cool! I've never seen that before.

What a great album! Harold, Dupree, and Elmo playing some truly "tuff ass" jazz..... :P

Time to pull this baby out once again.

I forget the name, but the (Hope-penned, IIRC) ballad is awesome. I think it highlights a kinship between Hope and Andrew Hill.

Dupree Bolton...wow! Fire.

Hope's ballad, "Mirror-Mind Rose," is very beautiful.

I hear the Hill parallels, too.

Bolton is like a cross between Clifford Brown and a flame-thrower.

I'll have to listen to this twice in a row, because once is not enough.

I love this album, but I've gotta admit, I prefer the re-issue cover to the original. :unsure:

I can't say I disagree with you, but it is cool to see the original.

I think if you get The Fox and Katanga you've got the complete recordings of Dupree Bolton.

Well, then at least I have someone's complete recordings!

I've been listening to this a lot lately, and it only enhances my opinion of all those involved. Especially Elmo Hope!

Damn fine album.

No, there's Dupree Bolton to be heard with Benny Carter's big band in the mid 1940s and some Buddy Johnson from slightly earlier. I was just listening to one of the Buddy Johnson live things the other day.

Mike

Ah, well. (dejected fingersnap.)

I knew there just had to be more.

Candidate for a far future Mosaic?

It is great, and yeah, I'd rather look at Landslide's mug than that mudpie on the original. I don't think the HiFi pressing is that expensive either - probably because it's so gawd-awful...

I used to have a stereo HiFi and the pressing was wonderful. I upset Lester Koenig by mentioning I preferred the original mastering to the Contemporary reissue. I did think the image was sharper and the highs were crisper.

Ed Michel told me Les was irritated for days.

No, there's Dupree Bolton to be heard with Benny Carter's big band in the mid 1940s and some Buddy Johnson from slightly earlier. I was just listening to one of the Buddy Johnson live things the other day.

Mike

Somebody always has to spoil the party. There goes my "I have the complete recordings of Dupree Bolton!" bumper sticker.

Oh well...