"A Day with Art Blakey 1961"

Bol

I own this on the 1987 Eastwind CDs (tan and maroon). The sound is just "OK". Particularly it's fine when you are listening only to them, but when you compare these CDs with other issued live recordings of the Blakey band around the same time, it become apparent that these are the worst. Cymbals suffer especially.

For example, the Paris (3/16/61) has so much more depth. The Lausanne (12/8/60) is kind of shrill, but still considerably better than Tokyo (1/2/61). There is so much audience noise on the Japanese recording - I wonder whether there was a difference in miking. Perhaps the others involve a soundboard and the Tokyo one is more distant microphones closer to the audience. Still, the performances are wonderful and since this stuff is usually so cheap, it's not something one needs to avoid. Like I said, once you get accustomed to the sound it's just fine.

Plus, after "A Night in Tunisia" (10:48) is an unlisted performance of "The Theme," (and not a quickie, a nice long one - until 14:11) then you get nearly two minutes of the long drawn-out thanks from the rest of the band - "arigato..........sayonara!" "domo......arigato" ".....arigato" (until 16:00). It's kind of amusing.

The uncredited announcer is singer Bill Henderson, I'm almost positive.

Mike

(snip)

Plus, after "A Night in Tunisia" (10:48) is an unlisted performance of "The Theme," (and not a quickie, a nice long one - until 14:11) then you get nearly two minutes of the long drawn-out thanks from the rest of the band - "arigato..........sayonara!" "domo......arigato" ".....arigato" (until 16:00). It's kind of amusing.

Mike

You're most probably correct. I have a bootleg video of the group in Japan around this time in which Bill Henderson appears and sings on alternate tracks.

Edited by MartyJazz

Mike

All this was also included in the original vinyl edition, the Japanese Baybridge 2LP!

Thanks for identifying Bill Henderson!