John Butcher

Guest Chaney

Guest Bill Barton

Thanks for the recs Red and Nate, and I'll likely be checking out some of the others mentioned previously in this thread. It's interesting that the duo with Gerry Hemingway has pretty much been universally panned. Being a stone Hemingway fan that was one that would have been near the top of the list for future purchase.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill, sorry to just now respond to your query (wtf, doesn't anybody here listen to Butcher except Nate and Red?) but Invisible Ear is outstanding, assuming it's still in print :unsure: . I just found this thread doing a search on Way Out Northwest which is excellent on its own terms.

If you expect all who listen to Butcher to respond to this thread, think again.

Bill, sorry to just now respond to your query (wtf, doesn't anybody here listen to Butcher except Nate and Red?) but Invisible Ear is outstanding, assuming it's still in print :unsure: . I just found this thread doing a search on Way Out Northwest which is excellent on its own terms.

If you expect all who listen to Butcher to respond to this thread, think again.

Obviously I defer to your knowledge of how things work here; I just think it's strange that a thread about Butcher in which somebody asks for recs goes idle for over a year.

• 10 years later...
  • 1 year later...
2 hours ago, David Ayers said:

Bit OT but - what is the point of bandcamp? You can sample but not buy anything from the app. You can purchase but not listen from a browser. You can’t download to your phone. Life’s too short. 

A lot of music is not available either on CD or streaming, so bandcamp is the only way. The best revenue option for the artists, I guess. Actually today, May 1st, bandcamp is waiving its fees and 100% of the revenue goes to artists.

And yes, of course you can download (in various formats) and stream (both through the browser and the app).  

Edited by Д.Д.

1 hour ago, Д.Д. said:

And yes, of course you can download (in various formats) and stream (both through the browser and the app).  

I’ve got the bandcamp app on my iPhone, and while you can stream an album you have purchased through the browser, you can’t buy an album and you can’t download. 

2 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

I’ve got the bandcamp app on my iPhone, and while you can stream an album you have purchased through the browser, you can’t buy an album and you can’t download. 

I don't buy or download through the app, can't comment on this. I buy through browser and stream on the phone through the app. I would agree, not the most user-friendly platform, but life is too short to wait for a perfect solution to listen to the music you want, right?    

11 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

I don't buy or download through the app, can't comment on this. I buy through browser and stream on the phone through the app. I would agree, not the most user-friendly platform, but life is too short to wait for a perfect solution to listen to the music you want, right?    

Ah well - sadly it’s not music I’m lacking but time!

• 3 years later...

Just to update the thread a bit, Butcher has played on many albums from the last few years that I've really enjoyed-- possibly moreso than ever:

-Last Dream of the Morning - two discs on Relative Pitch & Trost
-Blasphemious Fragments (Rastascan) w/ Gino Robair & Phil Minton
-Fictional Souvenirs (Astral Spirits) w/ Pat Thomas & Ståle Liavik Solberg
-Low Yellow (Jazzwerkstatt) w/ Wilbert de Joode & Martin Blume
-Frisque Concordance -  Distinct Machinery (Random Acoustics)
-We met- and then (Relative Pitch) w/ Barre Phillips & Ståle Liavik Solberg ‎
-But Everything Now Left Before It Arrived ‎(Meena) w/ John Russell & Dominic Lash
-Sounds Of Assembly (Meena) w/ Jennifer Allum, Ute Kanngiesser, & Eddie Prévost
-Discernment (Spoonhunt) w/ Dominc Lash, John Russell, & Mark Sanders

And then of course the 5xLP box set on Ni Vu Ni Connu, which was uniformly excellent but unfortunately only available on LP

The only one that fell a bit flat to me was the reunion with Shipp & Lehn on RogueArt. 

On 5/1/2020 at 7:33 PM, Д.Д. said:

A lot of music is not available either on CD or streaming, so bandcamp is the only way. The best revenue option for the artists, I guess. Actually today, May 1st, bandcamp is waiving its fees and 100% of the revenue goes to artists.

I think one other consideration with Bandcamp is that it allows music to be released that may not otherwise see the light of day. We've all seen CDs on merch tables that were pressed in a run of 1000 or whatever five, six, seven years ago and haven't sold out yet. The market for improvisation is healthy but not huge.

Now good quality digital recordings can be made at reasonably low cost it's great to have a way of releasing more material without having £££s tied up in boxes of CDs.

I always prefer physical product but Bandcamp seems like a good option for music we might otherwise not hear.

22 hours ago, colinmce said:

And then of course the 5xLP box set on Ni Vu Ni Connu, which was uniformly excellent but unfortunately only available on LP

21 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Waiting on two of the Ni Vu Ni LPs

Not only available on LP, they're available as downloads too

You guys like this stuff?! I was there at the concerts, and I thought it was all mediocre (by Butcher standards, that is), particularly the larger grouping with Liz Allbee. The only thing I liked was one short solo tenor piece that was a part of the duo with Agnel on the first day. I was quite bummed out because I traveled to Berlin specifically for these concerts.