Your next Mosaic set

Another :tup for the 'Mulligan' Concert Band box (I recommend the Tal Farlow Concert Band Mosaic as well :g ).

Being in the midst of digesting the Basie, Eldridge and Jazztet boxes of late I would say that Mosaic are on a huge roll at the moment and really coming up with the goods, big time. It will be next year before I can think of going near that Columbia Small Group box.

The Kid Ory and the Charles Tolliver are still sailing on their way to me (in a pea-green boat perhaps?) and I'm looking forward to them immensely.

All in all a 'vintage' Mosaic year. :wub:

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Ron... I didn't know you got the Concert Jazz box??? Cool... If it's got your seal of approval.... :):):) Thanks!!! Are u getting the Mulligan Songbook select?

It ultimately came down to the Mulligan and Shank vs. Max Roach set... (I've got a lot of Roachie...)

TM: Mulligan CJB box=Fantastic.

'Nuff said.

Do the Rich... I seem to be the only one on the board who bought and does NOT like the Columbia Swing Sessions.... :unsure:  :w  :w

I'm still debating: Buddy Rich or Columbia Small Group Swing. Eventually I'll order both…

Tough life...

And I forgot to mention also The Columbia Jazz Piano Mood...

As I said, tough life.

:wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

I finally pulled the trigger on the JJ Johnson Small Groups (didn't want to be the only one here without it when they moved it to the Sold Out list), the Columbia Small Group Swing Sessions, Pepper Select and Johnny Richards Select. (What with shipping and customs, etc. it only seems to make sense to get the big orders. Well, it will probably show up just before Christmas, appropriately enough.)

I keep waiting - then giving in and saying HELL they'll never bring out the gigantic Columbia/ Okeh/ Vocalion Basie - But just like the greatest thing so far - The Herman Columbias - I KNOW they will hit us eventually with the 12 or 14 ????? CD Basie and by that time I will have spent my $$$$$ on the Richards (which I did - Gladly) the Slack (great) and in the mean time the 50's Goodman's. I'd accept a trim Select of Les Brown Capitols too if they wish to issue one.

Yes I am a Big Band guy

Farmer/Golson looks interesting to me. Not only is that a big set, but it looks like Mosaic has high hopes with their edition of 10000. Also need to get the Mulligan.

Whew! ... for a moment I thougt I missed something....

then remembered I already have the JJJ on vinyl...and that was along time ago.

These sets do stay around for awhile don't they.

Zeno

• 2 weeks later...

I'm leaning toward one that I've heard a LOT of mixed reviews about ... Joe Pass.... I held off for a long time for this one.... I just seem to getting into him a little more this time around...

Who's got this set??? Reviews??

Hey Ron S... GEETAH man.... How do you like this one compared to the Farlow, Johnny Smith????

:w:w:unsure::huh::huh:

Edited by tranemonk

I'm leaning toward one that I've heard a LOT of mixed reviews about ... Joe Pass.... I held off for a long time for this one.... I just seem to getting into him a little more this time around...

Who's got this set??? Reviews??

Hey Ron S... GEETAH man.... How do you like this one compared to the Farlow, Johnny Smith????

:w:w:unsure::huh::huh:

I like it a lot. Haven't listened to it in a while, but remember it comparing very favorably with Farlow and Smith. Perhaps even a bit more swingin'. If you're into jazz guitar, you can't go wrong with Pass. :tup Of course, even at only 5 discs, it's gonna cost you more than the Farlow did. :rolleyes:

I'm sure it's just a temp glitch... but for those of who you wanted to use your Xmas/Hanukkah/Kwannza/Winter Solistice gift cards for either the Mulligan or Bechet Selects... You might have to wait a bit as they are not on the website...

:blink::blink:

Isn't that because you preordered the entire run of both sets? :huh:

Got the Buddy Rich Set:

Mostly stuff that has not surfaced on cd before and the sound mastering is incredible.

The musicians are first rate and the drum solos when they happen are not offensive.

Only listenened to disc 1 so far but this stuff swings like crazy. Recommended!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Dova

Damn.. I hate it when you divulge my trade secrets :angry::angry: ... Since you've foiled my ebay scheme :(:( ... I've decided to let Mosaic have some of the remaining 9,998 sets... In fact... I'm in such a holiday mood... I even let them put it back up on their website with sound samples...

http://mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MS-021

http://mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MS-022

:party::party::party:

Who said I wasn't in the holiday spirit???

I'm sure it's just a temp glitch... but for those of who you wanted to use your Xmas/Hanukkah/Kwannza/Winter Solistice gift cards for either the Mulligan or Bechet Selects... You might have to wait a bit as they are not on the website...

:blink::blink:

Isn't that because you preordered the entire run of both sets? :huh: