charlie parker jazz festival?

Guest donald petersen

Guest akanalog

sorry if this is on page two but i am surprised to see no discussion on the first page of this forum re: this weekends charlie parker jazz festival here in new york.

i could not go on saturday, but i went yesterday to the tompkins square park performance.

the weather was rainy and humid and i cut my finger on a beer bottle, but the music was good.

i saw terri lynne carrington and it sounded like her band was playing a lot of miles music ("it's about that time" and a tune from "filles de kilimanjaro"-perhaps "felon braun" or whatever it is called off the top of my head) and also a lot of tony williams tunes from "emergency". but perhaps i was just hearing things. i know nothing about her-maybe she has a tony williams tribute album out or something. her guitarist was definitely heavy into some rock cliches during his solos, but it was fun music to sit there to. john hicks had a nice band (ray mantilla, victor jones, curtis lundy, fathead newman) but was a bit rote. they played some old standards well, but besides some action from victor jones during his solos, i was a bit bored. odean pope's saxaphone chior was next and i was very impressed. not many names i knew but some good music. edgy but grooving too. i didn't stay for geri allen because there was a political speech before her performance and i went to hear jazz, not listen to mayoral candidates use the nice celebration as a platform to tell me about themselves.

my friend was blown away by hiromi on saturday, but jean-luc ponty is his favorite musician, so who knows....

but did anyone attend any of this?

sorry if this is on page two but i am surprised to see no discussion on the first page of this forum re: this weekends charlie parker jazz festival here in new york.

i could not go on saturday, but i went yesterday to the tompkins square park performance.

the weather was rainy and humid and i cut my finger on a beer bottle, but the music was good.

i saw terri lynne carrington and it sounded like her band was playing a lot of miles music ("it's about that time" and a tune from "filles de kilimanjaro"-perhaps "felon braun" or whatever it is called off the top of my head) and also a lot of tony williams tunes from "emergency".  but perhaps i was just hearing things.  i know nothing about her-maybe she has a tony williams tribute album out or something.  her guitarist was definitely heavy into some rock cliches during his solos, but it was fun music to sit there to.  john hicks had a nice band (ray mantilla, victor jones, curtis lundy, fathead newman) but was a bit rote.  they played some old standards well, but besides some action from victor jones during his solos, i was a bit bored.  odean pope's saxaphone chior was next and i was very impressed.  not many names i knew but some good music.  edgy but grooving too.  i didn't stay for geri allen because there was a political speech before her performance and i went to hear jazz, not listen to mayoral candidates use the nice celebration as a platform to tell me about themselves.

my friend was blown away by hiromi on saturday, but jean-luc ponty is his favorite musician, so who knows....

but did anyone attend any of this?

Just so you're not hangin' out here without a response :) ..... I did not make this festival as I'm hundreds of miles away but had I been closer, I most surely would have! Sorry 'bout your finger.....beer will do that to you!

m~