Jazz you find very spiritual

There's lots of music that has an uplifting emotional quality to it, and certainly it's not confined to jazz for me. But in the jazz realm, the music that gives me the expansive feeling that I associate with the spiritual is from Pat Metheny. Also John Mclaughlin in certain settings.

The one musician that I find spiritual in an interesting manner is Albert Ayler. From his song titles, to the manner of his playing, which has a "witnessing" type of quality, he seems to make many explicit connections with spirituality. I'm listening to him a lot right now, and I find Live at Slug's Saloon vol. 1 & 2 to be deeply spiritual, having a very "Gospel Choir" approach in the playing.

P.S: For a download of Ayler's most famous spiritual moment, THIS LINK will let you download part of his playing at Coltrane's funeral (it's the first one on the top). Be warned -- the sound quality is not very good, if fact, it's crap!

Edited by Matthew

Horace Tapscott. At his best, whether it be in solo, trio, or large group configurations, his music often takes me up to the heavens.

Another one whose music is starting to have that impact on me is Zbigniew Namyslowski, the very fine Polish saxophonist. An album like WINOBRANIE (Power Brothers) is certainly transcendent, even as it sketches impressions of something as earthly as an Eastern European "wine feast."

I find almost all "good" jazz has a spiritual quality to it. Whether it be something as accessable as "Song For My Father" or "Back At The Chicken Shack" or other things more associated with spirituality, like "A Love Supreme." Like I mentioned in another thread, Gene Ammon's doing a Linda Rondstat tune or blowin' on "Mly Way" qualifies as a reason for a God in my mind.

It's spiritual if it makes my entire body get into it, at least in my mind. That said...

Grant Green: Alive. Ronnie Foster's solos on that album are like a revival all on their own. I question the sanity and soul of people that don't like this album.

Metheny's guitar synth: wherever this is, there is no sadness.

Elvin's drums: ditto.

Idris Muhammed's backbeat: double ditto.

I remember the first time I heard "Blue In Green" I balled my eyes out. What a beautiful tune and an equally beautiful recording by Miles' band. Very spiritual indeed.

Not jazz, but jazz-related... I love Donny Hathaway's work. You can't miss the spirituality in it. "Someday We'll All Be Free" always brings tears to my eyes as well. Such a wonderful and peaceful sentiment put into song.

:tup

I have a new one to add. Jim and I saw a great concert tonight: Karl Denson's Tiny Universe and the Allman Brothers. We were fortunate to get VIP passes, which let us watch all the action from stage right. Denson's group was excellent! Super tight, and great energy. We met the drummer, who is a really nice cat (and an awesome player).

But the highlight for me was watching and listening to Derek Trucks playing with the ABB. I was reminded of a quote I read recently from Josh Redman: "Jazz isn't supposed to blow your mind, it's supposed to uplift you." Derek did both for me. Everything he played just felt so good to me; I walked away thinking, This is what music is supposed to feel like. And his stage presence is very cool; no screwed up rock guitarist faces, just very calm, present, and humble. That guy has a gift! :rlol

Connoisseur,

Please tell me more about Salim Washington. He will be in D.C. in a couple of weeks, and I'm not familiar with him at all.

Thanks,

Bertrand.

I think he only recorded one cd called "Love in Exile," which I recommend to anyone. It co-featured pianist Joe Bonner, who composed 3 or 4 of the songs.

His band is known as the Roxbury band, or something of that nature. Great trombonist, alto, violin, guitar; everything is there. Washington plays tenor and flute. I believe he has a doctorate degree somewhere in music and he did his dissertation on John Coltrane. Don't know much about the man, but "Love in Exile" is fantastic. You can pick it up at half.com, I'm sure for cheap.

I would definitely recommend seeing him. I sure would. I never knew that he was still touring. Hope he puts out another cd.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

I remember the first time I heard "Blue In Green" I balled my eyes out.  What a beautiful tune and an equally beautiful recording by Miles' band.  Very spiritual indeed.

Not jazz, but jazz-related... I love Donny Hathaway's work.  You can't miss the spirituality in it.  "Someday We'll All Be Free" always brings tears to my eyes as well.  Such a wonderful and peaceful sentiment put into song.

:tup

:tup Hallelujah to both choices! :rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...