What was your first Mosaic?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sam Reeeevers was my first set. It was a Xmas gift.

I have parted ways with the Monk set on LP, the Kenton Capitol, and the Ellington Reprise [twice, actually.] I sold the Monk when putting together the money for a down payment on my house, along with a deep groove mono first-pressing of Dizzy Reece's Star Bright on BN. The Kenton and Ellingtons were traded / sold because the music didn't bowl me over for the most part.

The Complete Buddy Bolden Cylinders.

Actually, I got into Mosaic relatively recently, and dipped my toes in the shallow end with the Paul Chambers Select. From there it escalated to an order for Mulligan CJB and Byrd/Adams, the 2 cheapest boxes. And from there, well, now it's hopeless (so far 12 boxes and 6 Selects). :crazy:

My first Mosaic was the Complete Blue Note Thelonious Monk. The issue had been advirtised in the jazz press and I had pre ordered. There was some kind of delay and Mosaic was compelled to offer refunds to everyone who had pre ordered. This lead to an exchange of correspondence with Michael Cuscuna which I keep in the box. Subsequently I've accumulated maybe 30 Mosaics, I have never gotten rid of any but its inevitable that I will decide to cull a few at some point.

My first was the Woody Shaw. Heard some of it on the radio in NYC while up there on business in the early 90s. Went into J&R and asked about it, at which time I found about Mosaic. Ordered it before I went home and have been buying them ever since.

Still have them all.

What was your first Mosaic?

For me it was the Larry Young set.

How many set have you gotten rid of for one reason or another?

I have all of mine.

Larry for me, too.

Still have all of them. The only one I've even thought of selling/trading is the Carmell Jones Select set. It's not bad, just not that exciting.

My first one was the Woody Shaw.

I have sold a lot Mosaics for different reasons (but never before copying the booklet :w ):

a) the sound: Morgan

b) the music: Jones/Lewis & Kenton

c) found lovely LP's as a replacement: Cherry and some of the Pacific, BN and Atlantic boxes

d) crazy eBay members from Japan :cool: : Basie & Cole