God I hope this story is overblown right now!!!

Chris, I have to disagree with you and maybe for the first time agree with Dan Gould.  I don't get cable TV and can't say what they were reporting on, but I have been watching as much of NBC and ABC as I could, and they reported only on the Super Dome, never mentioning the Convention Center until the day that Brown said he had just learned about it.

When I saw Brown (live) alleging that he had not know about the Convention Center mess, I had already known for some time. I watch C-Span, the BBC and CNN more than I do the regular U.S. networks--that may account for it.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sums it up...

By Rupert Cornwell in Washington

Published: 03 September 2005

Why has it taken George Bush five days to get to New Orleans?

President Bush was on holiday in Texas when Katrina struck. He then spent Monday on a pre-arranged political fundraising tour of California and Arizona, which he did not cancel or curtail. On Tuesday he surveyed the hurricane damage - but only from the flight deck of Air Force One, prompting criticism that he was too detached from the suffering on the ground. He didn't give a speech until Tuesday afternoon - 36 hours after the storm first hit - and didn't embark on a proper tour of the region until yesterday. Key advisers have come under fire for similar levels of detachment. As the full magnitude of the disaster unfolded, the Secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice, was seen buying shoes in New York, and Dick Cheney remained on holiday.

But one would hope that FEMA and its Director are not relying on network television for this kind of information.

Ron, I agree. That's my point. The New Orleans and Louisiana govts should have informed FEMA of the status quo, and they didn't. It looked to me like Brown did in fact learn of the Convention Center crowd from television. That shouldn't happen. For that matter, the Convention Center crowd apparently gathered two days before the television people began to report about it. Why didn't the TV people know about it? Why did they devote 100% of their reporting to the Super Dome?

But my point is that in as massive a disaster as this, FEMA shouldn't have to rely on either the media OR state and local governments for information as critical as this. We're not talking about a few isolated people at the Convention Center, we're talking about TENS OF THOUSANDS. The whole reason for FEMA's existence is that certain disasters are beyond the capability of state and local governments to handle on their own, hence the need for federal intervention and assistance. FEMA is supposed to devote its own resources to getting a handle on a situation such as this and determining what it needs to do. That's a major part of its job.

I always thought the GOP was out to weaken federal power by bankrupting the government with tax cuts and profligate spending. Turns out, the strategy is to turn the entire federal government over to the Keystone Kops.

Speaking of FEMA, I just completed the 25 minute online registration process entering every conceivable datum about my life. The result: they're mailing me a brochure :eye: It's probably on its way to my home address.

Fraud Alert: FEMA Items Stolen

Thieves Pretend To Be ‘Procurement Officers’

POSTED: 11:32 am CDT September 3, 2005

UPDATED: 11:46 am CDT September 3, 2005

Email This Story | Print This Story

The Federal Emergency Management Agency said Saturday that many FEMA uniforms, badges and letterheads have been stolen in the New Orleans area are being used as fake identification by robbers.

FEMA leaders said the crooks are referring to themselves as "FEMA Procurement Officers," even though no such officers exist.

The agency said that the robbers are using the phony status to steal vehicles, fuel and valuables.

In some cases, the robbers are armed. FEMA said its agents are never armed.

FEMA officials said that if an armed person claiming to be from the agency approaches you, ask for photo identification, but also cooperate with their demands to avoid being hurt.

Anyone with information about people who may be claiming to be FEMA personnel, call the offices in Baton Rouge at (225) 296-3421 or (225) 296-3335.

Sums it up...

By Rupert Cornwell in Washington

Published: 03 September 2005

Why has it taken George Bush five days to get to New Orleans?

President Bush was on holiday in Texas when Katrina struck. He then spent Monday on a pre-arranged political fundraising tour of California and Arizona, which he did not cancel or curtail. On Tuesday he surveyed the hurricane damage - but only from the flight deck of Air Force One, prompting criticism that he was too detached from the suffering on the ground. He didn't give a speech until Tuesday afternoon - 36 hours after the storm first hit - and didn't embark on a proper tour of the region until yesterday. Key advisers have come under fire for similar levels of detachment. As the full magnitude of the disaster unfolded, the Secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice, was seen buying shoes in New York, and Dick Cheney remained on holiday.

Ouch.

I always thought the GOP was out to weaken federal power by bankrupting the government with tax cuts and profligate spending.  Turns out, the strategy is to turn the entire federal government over to the Keystone Kops.

Minew, when it comes to Keystone Kops in govt, a New Orleanian would know one when he sees one!

Edited by GA Russell

Here's a sobering post from The Interdictor blog mentioned above:

Now this is something that requires tact, and I do not have much experience with reporting, but I think the world needs to know how overwhelmed the police are out here: I have reports from 3 different police sources that 2 police officers have committed suicide. Out of respect for their families, I will not name them or go into detail. Truly tragic how bad things are. I sincerely hope I did the right thing in reporting this.

But my point is that in as massive a disaster as this, FEMA shouldn't have to rely on either the media OR state and local governments for information as critical as this.  We're not talking about a few isolated people at the Convention Center, we're talking about TENS OF THOUSANDS.  The whole reason for FEMA's existence is that certain disasters are beyond the capability of state and local governments to handle on their own, hence the need for federal intervention and assistance.  FEMA is supposed to devote its own resources to getting a handle on a situation such as this and determining what it needs to do.  That's a major part of its job.

Ron, someone instructed those people to go to the Convention Center, and that someone opened it up to them, and I suspect that that someone was the New Orleans city govt. There are 90,000 square miles of damage, and the federal govt can't be expected to know what is going on in every one of them if the local officials don't tell them. Someone from New Orleans dropped the ball and forgot to tell the feds, who in the person of Brown are operating out of Baton Rouge.

But at least the New Orleans police are doing the best they can. What has the Louisiana state govt done? Not a thing that I am aware of. What contribution the governor has made to this I'm not aware of. At this point I would say that she has been completely useless.

And speaking of New Orleans, why didn't they comandeer the school buses and the city buses to start getting people out? The mayor issued an evacuation order knowing that some people didn't have the means to get out on their own, and as far as I can tell he did nothing to help them.

FEMA fool Michael Brown's excuse is pathetic. He and the other Michael (Homeland Security) need to be fired and, perhaps, tried.

Agreed.

Guy

Are you seriously agreeing that they should be "tried"?

Not sure if there are laws for criminal negligence.

Guy

In order to be consistent you would have put a whole lot of government folks on trial, the mayor and governor included.

Chertoff is in way over his head, but is sure appears many local politcians are as well.

You won't find me defending Bush on this either.

The Feds are the ones with the resources ostensibly to handle this and therefore far more culpable, IMO. Did you happen to see the Free Republic post that actually defends the mayor? It's been floating around... I'll try to find it and re-post here. And for those who want to compare him to Giuliani--this is far, far worse than 9/11.

FEMA fool Michael Brown's excuse is pathetic. He and the other Michael (Homeland Security) need to be fired and, perhaps, tried.

Agreed.

Guy

Are you seriously agreeing that they should be "tried"?

Not sure if there are laws for criminal negligence.

Guy

In order to be consistent you would have put a whole lot of government folks on trial, the mayor and governor included.

Chertoff is in way over his head, but is sure appears many local politcians are as well.

You won't find me defending Bush on this either.

The Feds are the ones with the resources ostensibly to handle this and therefore far more culpable, IMO. Did you happen to see the Free Republic post that actually defends the mayor? It's been floating around... I'll try to find it and re-post here. And for those who want to compare him to Giuliani--this is far, far worse than 9/11.

I did not see the it, but would like to.

You are correct about the Feds. They are the ones that have to clean up the mess.

Still, it does not excuse the fact that the mayor did not do enough to facilitate an evacuation. I saw it reported that he did not deploy buses and other governement vehicles to assist those who did not have personal transportation.

The Gorvernor fucked up as well. In a Molly Ivins article I read that she failed to call up for duty several thousand National Guard members prior to the hurricane hitting. That may have made a difference, no?

I give Nagin credit for speaking out so frankly the other day, but it does not change the fact he is/was part of the problem.

Honestly this whole blame thing is just getting ridiculous. Everyone is trying to cover their own asses.

Right now it is time for Bush and all the other politicians to put up or shut up.

The local goverment is the lead agency that call for a evacuation; in this case the City, I believe. Anyone who lives in South Flordia can confim that. There is  enough blame to go around here for every person in authority.

The mayor ordered a MANDATORY evacuation. That's why 80% of the city's population did leave. Some stayed because they wanted to; many stayed because they had no means of leaving.

Here's the Free Republic post defending the mayor:

To: NautiNurse

Ok, the President has spoken, and I believe it is now time for all of us to being speaking bluntly. It has been my policy for the last few days to look for and point up the brightest news I could find, because I knew what we might be facing long before Katrina ever made landfall.

In my opinion, the time for optimism has passed. New Orleans did not dodge a bullet, New Orleans suffered a worst case doomsday scenario. But this is far far bigger than New Orleans alone.

By my count, America has lost not one city, but nine of them.

New Orleans, population 1.2 million, Slidell, pop. 26,000, Bay St. Louis/Waveland pop. 12,000, Long Beach, pop. 17,000, Gulfport, pop. 71,000, Biloxi, pop. 50,000, Ocean Springs, pop. 17,000, Psacagoula/Moss Point/Gautier, pop. 42,000, and Mobile, pop. 198,000.

I have figures in my possession that indicate a total maximum death toll of 410,000 Americans and a minimum death toll of 41,000 Americans.

I derived these figures as follows.

During the Hurricane Ivan mandatory evacuation, 600,000 people answered the call for mandatory evacuation, out of a total population of 1.2 million in the metro area. 600,000 remained behind. If half of those remaining behind did not survive the storm, or will not survive from this point onward, then the death toll in New Orleans alone will rise to 300,000 people. This is clearly a pessimistic approach, but I would remind the doubters that total rescue efforts yesterday saved, by the most optimistic estimates, 3,000 people. 3,000 out of potentially 300,000.

On the brighter side, if the pre-storm estimates prove to be true, then only 300,000 people did not evacuate in the greater New Orleans metro area, 100,000 of those within the city limits as claimed by the Mayor of that city. If only one in ten of the people trapped in attics and on their roofs died, or will die before they are rescued, the death toll in New Orleans alone will rise to 30,000 souls lost.

One in ten stay, one in ten of those die, 30,000, total. Just in New Orleans.

These numbers are speculative, and, having demonstrated the method used in deriving them, you may judge for yourselves their validity. Before you dismiss them out of hand, you should be aware that pre-storm death-toll estimates from the Red Cross ranged from 25,000 to 100,000 for New Orleans alone. Engineers tasked by the City with estimating worst case scenarios estimated a death toll of 40,000. FEMA estimates were 50,000 deaths for New Orleans alone.

It is my personal view that any final death toll under 41,000 will be considered a victory. The more the final count falls short of this, the luckier we will have been.

Though these numbers are speculative, other data is not.

All of the above listed cities have been reported as having lost a minimum of half of their buildings and structures. With a total population for the region, just from the cities, rural areas excluded, this means that currently, 820,000 people have no homes and are refugees. It is probable that this figure is actually over one million.

Many of these, perhaps half, perhaps half a million people, are walking wounded or even in critical need of medical attention. Seen any hospitals that will hold half a million people lately?

My purpose in being deliberately blunt today is twofold.

One, I do not believe that officials are being blunt with us or the media, for several reasons. They do not wish to start a panic, they do not wish to admit that they do not have a viable plan for dealing with between 40 and 410 thousand corpses, and they do not know how to house, feed and clothe one million people for even one week, let alone several months. Finally, I believe that their experts are telling them the exact same figures I am telling you, and, just like you, the officials do not want to believe something this bad could ever happen.

Two, I am being blunt because the scope of this disaster, the biggest disaster in the history of the United States, not one of the worst, the worst, has yet to be reported. Many, no even the majority, are pointing the finger of blame in various directions, without even barely comprehending the true scope of this event, while people who we know will die haven't died yet.

For those individuals I respectfully ask that you recalculate your priorities.

To those who would blame the mayor of New Orleans, I would ask you to prepare, in the course of three days, to completely evacuate and rebuild a city of approximately one million people. I would further constrain you by telling you to expect that the energy to be released on your city in the coming days will be equal to the detonation of one United States W81 0.5 megaton thermonuclear warhead on your city and the surrounding areas, each and every single minute that the storm is overhead.

Not only do you have to plan and build a new city in three days, that will house one million people, you must also facilitate the traffic flow of 800,000 of those people to an area that will not be affected by the rain of 450 kiloton nuclear weapons the storm will drop after it leaves your city.

You have to find, and physically force some portion of the 100,000 remaining persons to leave, and you have to find and transport the remainder of that 100,000 people who cannot do so on their own.

Whatever routes you choose to get to your brand new one million person city will be shared with mandatory evacuees from the entire two or three state region.

Beginning on the second day of your one million person new city construction project, every asset you and your staff possesses, cars, houses, offices, telephones, computers, and basic necessities, will be unavailable, under water.

At this point you will have to make some very hard decisions. No city government is capable of building a one million person city, not in three years and certainly not in three days, but this is only the beginning. When the levees begin to fail, you will have to start choosing who gets to live and who gets to die.

Not one at a time, you will be forced to decide whether large groups of human beings, your constituents, 20,000 in the Dome, 60,000 in each of three flooded parishes, another 50,000 in the downtown area, get to live or are abandoned. Will you save the people trapped on flooded roofs, or fix the levee and let them die? How many will die if you do not fix the levee?

When your best engineers tell you that they cannot close the breach before it floods the city, will you even try? When they tell you that even if by a miracle they succeed and seal the breach, that 50 others are ready to pop at any time, what then? If you seal that breach, or even try, the people on the roofs will die. If you do not seal the breach, who knows how many in the city's center will die.

But your task is not yet complete, far from it.

The largest seaport in the US has been destroyed. How will ships get in to help you?

The largest river in the US is now blocked to ocean going ships, and river going ships. Will you just let it sit there, blocked, while the rest of the country starves for gasoline, not to mention hundreds of other necessities?

All but one of the bridges into and out of your city are destroyed, but you don't even know this, not at first. You can't get even one block from your office without a chainsaw and a crane. Your helicopters are either 200 miles away or destroyed. Your phones don't work and your power is out. Will you divert resources from saving people in attics to look over the highways to see which are open and which are closed? Will you choose to check the roads, and begin cleaning the roads, if the price of doing so is to let a thousand people in local hospitals who require electricity to live, and who therefore must be evacuated, die in their hospital beds?

Perhaps instead, you will choose to place a priority on looters, who are shooting at hospitals and policemen. Who will you allow to die, while you divert assets to maintaining security?

This is just the beginning. You still have 30,000 people in the Super Dome, the water is rising, they are getting sick and they are near rioting. What are you going to do with them?

By now, you are hopefully beginning to understand the error in trying to fix blame, at least this early.

You do not, a city does not, even the United States does not build a brand new one million person city in one day.

If you try, you seal the deaths of thousands and thousands of people. What you do first is call in the Feds. This is so far beyond the capacity of any city, even New York, that the Feds have the only chance at success. But you are the mayor, you have known for years how many cops you have, how many National Guards you have, and that the numbers available to you are less than a tenth of what you need. The Federal Government is the ONLY answer.

But even the Feds do not rush into a disaster of this magnitude. If you want to know exactly how long it takes a trained crew to set up a one million person city, I cannot give you the answer. But I can tell you how long it takes to set up the headquarters that will run a one million person city.

It takes three days. We just saw it done. We just saw how professionals work. They do not run into a disaster area with two other guys and immediately bog down, buried under a task far too large to comprehend. No, they assess the situation first. That takes 24 hours. I have never seen any kind of a hurricane damage overview in less than 24 hours after the eyewall passed the area. They assess and then they move an advance team in to build the headquarters and support facilities necessary to command the entire relief effort. While that is being built, the lower echelon units ar packing and getting into trucks and flying their helicopters closer to the area. Closer, but not in, because they, and you, do not know exactly where it is safe for them to set up, or even where they will be needed.

But once you have the headquarters up, and the troops nearby, things begin to happen quickly. Now, instead of having to choose whether this 10,000 person group dies, or that 30,000 person group stays on the roofs, you have entire battalions to throw at the problem. Battalions to throw at each problem and more in reserve. Battalions that are fed and watered and equipped and supported and have a place to sleep. Battalions that you can sustain and keep working, not for a few days, but for the months that they will be needed.

Now, you have a plan. Now, you have the tools you need, the roads, the choppers, the aircraft, the rifles, and the boats. Now you can do the job right.

But you don't have any of that as the Mayor. I don't care if you are Boss Tweed or the least corrupt politician in hostory, you do not have the resources you need, not by a factor of ten and maybe not by a factor of one hundred.

There is only one option open to the mayor. Finger in the proverbial dike, and yell for the Feds. When you understand the real scope of this storm, then you understand that the Mayor's job was to hold the fort and yell for help.

Only then can you make an accurate assessment of how well the mayor performed his or her task.

But it still isn't time for that. Not yet. Not for a long time.

America faces the worst disaster in its history. More dead than Pearl Harbor. More than 9/11. Maybe only ten times as many dead. Maybe 100 times as many.

A bigger fuel crisis than the 1973 Oil Embargo.

Nine American cities mostly or totally destroyed.

America's largest port, closed until further notice.

America's largest river, closed until further notice.

A 500 year, worst case doomsday scenario hurricane.

Now take a good hard look in the mirror.

Yes, you.

If we are going to lose 40 thousand dead, and at least half of those are alive right now, what is your priority?

If we are going to lose four hundred thousand dead, half a million people, and half of them are still alive right now, what is your priority?

It isn't time to point fingers of blame, even at the looters. 100 looters don't hold a candle to the 20,000 people that will die if they aren't rescued.

Ten thousand looters don't hold a candle to two hundred thousand people at risk.

This is a huge disaster, and it is important for America to learn how to think big. If you aren't capable of walking past ten dying people to save 100 dying people, then at the very least, stay out of the way of those who can.

You know what the price is, if you don't.

When you start thinking big, you start understanding that one person doesn't count anymore. Not the mayor, not the governor, not even President Bush. Bush will not fix this, the New Orleans police will not fix this, and the National Guard will not fix this.

They aren't big enough.

Three hundred million American people are going to fix this, or else it isn't going to get fixed.

So for all the sidewalk superintendents, all the finger pointers, all those who would grab political power over this, I have one very simple question.

Do you stand with us, or are you going to just stand in the way?

Edited by ghost of miles

Seeing as how the real disaster didn't begin until the levees cracked, isn't it fair to say that the local evacuation plan was at least adequate up until then? People had a place to go to if they chose, and other than the hole in the Superdome roof, they were safe during the storm itself. If the levees hadn't breached (breeched?), people could well have gone home to their respective messes as early as Monday, right? Tuesday for sure.

The surely forthcoming investigation needs to pay attention to who knew that the levees were in need of upgrading, and who prevented that from happening as much or more than it does the mishandling of the evacuation/rescue. The need for the latter might well have been averted if the former had been handled responsibly.

Spare no blame, I say, but let's get to the root cause of what really caused this mess, not just the mess itself.

Seeing as how the real disaster didn't begin until the levees cracked, isn't it fair to say that the local evacuation plan was at least adequate up until then?....

Yeah, but isn't that like saying until the Levees broke, they were doing an adequate job of holding the water? What did N.O. do to prepare for the worst? Here is a photo of a bunch of ruined School Buses, would have been nice if they had them surrounding the Superdome before the flooding.

bus_yard.jpg

Hell, I first thought when I heard all these folks were going to the Dome, what if the then 175 MPH Hurricane(Can it seem possible this story could have been worse with a direct hit with those winds!) damaged the structure? Imagine if thousands had died in that type of disaster. But, it seemed better than having them killed in the houses. So much delay....systems have to be improved...phones go down, no way to communicate? I see the media has satellite phones, perhaps cities need to invest in them....

Seeing as how the real disaster didn't begin until the levees cracked, isn't it fair to say that the local evacuation plan was at least adequate up until then?....

Yeah, but isn't that like saying until the Levees broke, they were doing an adequate job of holding the water? What did N.O. do to prepare for the worst? Here is a photo of a bunch of ruined School Buses, would have been nice if they had them surrounding the Superdome before the flooding.

Hell, I first thought when I heard all these folks were going to the Dome, what if the then 175 MPH Hurricane(Can it seem possible this story could have been worse with a direct hit with those winds!) damaged the structure? Imagine if thousands had died in that type of disaster. But, it seemed better than having them killed in the houses. So much delay....systems have to be improved...phones go down, no way to communicate? I see the media has satellite phones, perhaps cities need to invest in them....

You're right as a matter of speculation (and by that I mean no dis. Just because there wasn't a direct hit doesn't excuse not being prepared for one), but the fact remains - this specific tragedy occured because people lived, and they lived because the specific plans in place worked. Until the levees broke...

It's a cruel, grusome even, irony that we'd have a lot "cleaner" disaster on our hands if the worst case had transpired - a direct hit. Then we'd just have a lot of dead bodies to clean up, and a national period of unambiguous grief. Scapegoats could easily be found, fingers easily pointed, etc., etc., etc. But people lived, and how they ended up living proved (and will continue to prove) to be more than a little embarassing (dare I say humiliating?) to, I hope, all of America. Dead people are easy to handle. You pick'em up and bury them. Living people, though, people locked up in near-death camp conditions for longer than there's any good explanation for, well, they're not as easily "processed", physically and mentally, as dead ones.

No way do I seek to exonerate anybody for not being prepared for the worst-case scenario of a direct hit of such a superstorm. But one thing I don't want to see is for investigations to get so caught up in finding fault in general that they fail to recognize the fact that people survived the storm with the plans already in place. If that happens, you push aside the reality that this catastrophe wasn't a result of poor pre-storm evacuation and planning, it was a result of the levees breaking, pure and simple. Nobody was ready for that, least of all, it seems, those on the outside who were so desperately needed to come inside. Once your locals are under water, there's not a helluva lot they can do from the inside to evacuate themselves. If the levees had remained intact, you can bet (I hope...) that those school buses would've been put to use. Yeah, it would've been smart to have them stationed outside the Superdome before the flooding, of that there is no doubt. But it would've been smarter still to have not f-ed around and left the levees in the state they were in. And whose fault is that?

Who knew how perilous the levees were? Who tried to get them upgraded? Who stopped them? Why? Who knew what, and when did they know it - the basic questions that follow in the wake of any disaster. They are the questions that must be asked and fully answered along with all the others, perhaps even before all the others, since they have direct bearing on what actually happened rather than what could have happened.

Failure to be prepared for a direct hit of a storm such as Katrina is negligence indeed, and it must not be overlooked or otherwise excused. But it's not what caused the devastation in New Orleans. Not this time.

Edited by JSngry

Mississippians' Suffering Overshadowed

Sep 03 11:49 PM US/Eastern

By EMILY WAGSTER PETTUS

Associated Press Writer

JACKSON, Miss.

Mississippi hurricane survivors looked around Saturday and wondered just how long it would take to get food, clean water and shelter. And they were more than angry at the federal government and the national news media.

Richard Gibbs was disgusted by reports of looting in New Orleans and upset at the lack of attention hurricane victims in his state were getting.

"I say burn the bridges and let 'em all rot there," he said. "We're suffering over here too, but we're not killing each other. We've got to help each other. We need gas and food and water and medical supplies."

Gibbs and his wife, Holly, have been stuck at their flooded home in Gulfport just off the Biloxi River. Water comes up to the second floor, they are out of gasoline, and food supplies are running perilously low.

Until recently, they also had Holly's 75-year-old father, who has a pacemaker and severe diabetes, with them. Finally they got an ambulance to take him to the airport so he could be airlifted to Lafayette, La., for medical help.

In poverty-stricken north Gulfport, Grover Chapman was angry at the lack of aid.

"Something should've been on this corner three days ago," Chapman, 60, said Saturday as he whipped up dinner for his neighbors.

He used wood from his demolished produce stand to cook fish, rabbit, okra and butter beans he'd been keeping in his freezer. Although many houses here, about five miles inland, are still standing, they are severely damaged. Corrugated tin roofs lie scattered on the ground.

"I'm just doing what I can do," Chapman said. "These people support me with my produce stand every day. Now it's time to pay them back."

One neighbor, 78-year-old Georgia Smylie, knew little about what's happening elsewhere. She was too worried about her own situation.

"My medicine is running out. I need high blood pressure medicine, medicine for my heart," she said.

Larry Sabato, a University of Virginia political scientist, said he's been watching hours of Katrina coverage every day and most of the national media attention has focused on the devastation and looting in New Orleans.

"Mississippi needs more coverage," Sabato said. "Until people see it on TV, they don't think it's real."

Along the battered Mississippi Gulf Coast, crews started searching boats for corpses on Saturday. Several shrimpers are believed to have died as they tried to ride out the storm aboard their boats on the Intracoastal Waterway.

President Bush toured ravaged areas of the Mississippi coast on Friday with Gov. Haley Barbour and other state officials. They also flew over flooded New Orleans.

"I'm going to tell you, Mississippi got hit much harder than they did, but what happened in the aftermath _ it makes your stomach hurt to go miles and miles and miles and the houses are all under water up to the roof," Barbour said.

Keisha Moran has been living in a tent in a department store parking lot in Bay St. Louis with her boyfriend and three young children since the hurricane struck. She said National Guardsmen have brought her water but no other aid so far, and she was furious that it took Bush several days before he came to see the damage in Mississippi.

"It's how many days later? How many people are dead?" Moran said.

Mississippi's death toll from Hurricane Katrina stood at 144 on Saturday, according to confirmed reports from coroners and the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency. Barbour had said Friday the total was 147, but he didn't provide a county-by-county breakdown.

In a strongly worded editorial, The Sun Herald of Biloxi-Gulfport pleaded for help and questioned why a massive National Guard presence wasn't already visible.

"We understand that New Orleans also was devastated by Hurricane Katrina, but surely this nation has the resources to rescue both that metropolitan (area) and ours," the newspaper editorialized, saying survival basics like ice, gasoline and medicine have been too slow to arrive.

"We are not calling on the nation and the state to make life more comfortable in South Mississippi, we are calling on the nation and the state to make life here possible," the paper wrote.

____

Associated Press reporter David Royse and Brian Skoloff in Gulfport and Jay Reeves in Bay St. Louis contributed to this report.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/03/D8CD6TQ03.html

.... Yeah, it would've been smart to have them stationed outside the Superdome before the flooding, of that there is no doubt. But it would've been smarter still to have not f-ed around and left the levees in the state they were in. And whose fault is that?

Who knew how perilous the levees were? Who tried to get them upgraded? Who stopped them? Why? Who knew what, and when did they know it - the basic questions that follow in the wake of any disaster. They are the questions that must be asked and fully answered along with all the others, perhaps even before all the others, since they have direct bearing on what actually happened rather than what could have happened.

Failure to be prepared for a direct hit of a storm such as Katrina is negligence indeed, and it must not be overlooked or otherwise excused. But it's not what caused the devastation in New Orleans. Not this time.

We have met the enemy, and they is us....

Katrina's enablers:

Levees were ignored for decades

WHO OR what gets the blame for the levee breaches that wrecked so much of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina struck? We have heard people point fingers at all of the following: President Bush, global warming, the Iraq war and racism. We are still trying to figure that last one out. The real culprit, however, has been right before our eyes for a long time.

The Army Corps of Engineers is in charge of flood control in New Orleans, but state and local officials play important roles in planning and funding too. Engineers as well as local, state and federal officials have known for decades that the New Orleans levees were designed to survive only a Category 3 hurricane. Katrina was a Category 5, which dropped to a 4 shortly before impact. Why didn't officials use their resources to build stronger, higher levees since the last Category 5 hurricane hit New Orleans in 1969?

With the federal government in charge, local and state officials were able to shift the burden to Washington and divert their attention to more frivolous pursuits. Instead of pumping the necessary resources into walls and levees that would withstand the worst storms, they built convention centers and sports arenas.

The Louisiana Superdome Cost $163 million to build in 1975. The Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, a state entity, was built in 1985. It was expanded in 1999, and the state just completed negotiations for a new 500,000 square foot expansion. The state signed a contract for the new expansion on Aug. 17, just 12 days before Katrina hit. The price: $315 million. Construction would have begun years ago, for a cost of $275 million, but for some delays. There was a legal dispute over the contract in 2003, then in 2004 Gov. Kathleen Blanco tried to combine the expansion with a new stadium to replace the Superdome.

There have been charges that recent decisions not to fully fund the requests of the Army Corps of Engineers in New Orleans were somehow to blame for the flooding last week. But the lower than requested funding for the Army Corps of Engineers in New Orleans was slated for the 2006 budget; it would have made no difference last Monday.

However, Washington has neglected its duties in this area for years. Instead of spending the hundreds of millions, even billions, to replace levees that all experts knew were inadequate, federal politicians chose for decades to fund pork projects. Instead of new levees for New Orleans, the American people were given sports stadiums, bicycle trails and roads in powerful politicians' districts. Experts have known of the city's vulnerability since at least the 1960s, and yet no one at the local, state or federal level made sure that the levees could withstand a hurricane even less powerful than Camille in 1969.

Several decades' worth of politicians of both parties played with taxpayer money while neglecting their duty to protect the citizens. As a result of their irresponsibility, hundreds, perhaps thousands, have died.

http://www.theunionleader.com/articles_sho...l?article=59964

It's nice to see that even though we have had disagreements with a number of countries on this list, there is still a lot of generosity in the world and goodwill for the people of the United States. :tup

Qatar offers $100m to relief fund

Sunday, September 4, 2005; Posted: 2:51 a.m. EDT (06:51 GMT)

(CNN) -- The oil-rich nation of Qatar has offered the United States $100 million to assist in the humanitarian crisis triggered by Hurricane Katrina.

The state-run Qatar News Agency said Saturday that Qatar's emir, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani, decided to contribute that amount for relief "and humanitarian supplies for the victims of this disaster."

The U.S. government has received offers of support from dozens of nations across the globe.

As of Friday, the White House had not accepted any offers, but Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said the State Department was "working very closely with the Department of Homeland Security to match up what is available with what is needed."

There was no immediate word whether the United States would take Qatar up on its offer.

Other offers of aid and assistance have come in from countries around the world -- including from India, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Indonesia, the four countries hardest-hit by the December 26 Asian tsunami.

The State Department said offers of help had been received from more than 50 countries, including:

Australia, Austria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Belgium, Canada, China, Columbia, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, France, Germany, Guatemala, Greece, Guyana, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Paraguay, Philippines, Portugal, South Korea, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovakia, Spain, Sri Lanka, Switzerland, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom, the United Arab Emirates, and Venezuela.

International organizations also offered help ranging from medical teams to tents to cash donations. They include NATO, the Organization of American States, the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees, and the World Health Organization.

The United Nations has offered to help coordinate international relief.

State Department officials have not yet said if any of these offers -- beyond specific offers of cash to humanitarian organization -- have been accepted.

Following is a list of some of the aid offered by governments.

-- Sri Lanka has offered what it called a "token contribution" of $25,000 through the American Red Cross.

-- Mexico has offered $1 million and is sending 15 truckloads of water, food and medical supplies via Texas. The Mexican navy has offered to send two ships, two helicopters and 15 amphibious vehicles.

-- Australia is giving A$10 million ($7.6 million), most of it to the American Red Cross.

-- China has offered $5 million.

-- India is making a $5 million donation to the American Red Cross, Ambassador Ronen Sen said Saturday. In addition, Sen said India was willing to donate essential medicines to the relief effort, noting that India has the largest number of Food and Drug Administration-recognized pharmaceutical companies outside the United States.

-- -- Germany has offered a wide range of assistance including evacuation by air, medical services, transportation services, water treatment capabilities, assistance in searching for victims, vaccination teams and supplies, and emergency shelter. Germany has also said it is ready and willing to "dip into its own emergency oil reserves" to release some 2 million barrels a day for 30 days.

-- France has offered mobile help from the French Antilles, which is relatively close to the affected regions, including a civil defense detachment of 35 people, tents, camp beds, generators, motor pumps, water treatment units and emergency kits, two CASA cargo aircraft, a ship (Batral Francis Garnier) and the frigate Ventose with its Panther helicopter, and a hurricane disaster unit (20 soldiers and 900 kg of specialized supplies and medical support).

-- France has also offered assistance from the French mainland including: one or two C-135 planes, one A-310 aircraft , and four C-160 Transalls, an airborne emergency unit. In addition, the NGO Telecoms Sans Frontieres, which specializes in restoring phone lines and Internet service in disasters, is ready to send a team of experts and equipment. Veolia Environment, which has facilities in Louisiana, has offered to make its local water management resources available to the American authorities or the Red Cross. It can also quickly send in a team of hydraulic experts.

-- Japan has offered to provide $200,000 to the American Red Cross. The government of Japan will identify needs in the affected regions through the U.S. government and, upon request, is ready to provide necessary and available emergency assistance supply amounting to up to $300,000 worth of items such as tents, blankets, power generators, portable water tanks and more from a supply depot maintained by the Japanese government in Florida.

-- Cuba's President Fidel Castro said on Friday his nation was ready to send 1,100 doctors and 26 tons of medicine and equipment.

Asia

AUSTRALIA: "We're going to provide A$10 million ($7.6 million) and the bulk of that money, if not all of it, will go to the American Red Cross," said Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer. The Australian government said there may be up to 24 Australians trapped in Louisiana in the aftermath of Katrina.

CHINA: China offered $5 million in aid for victims of Hurricane Katrina which devastated the Gulf Coast ahead of President Hu Jintao's U.S. visit. If needed, the Chinese government is also prepared to send rescue workers, including medical experts, officials said.

JAPAN: Will provide $200,000 to the American Red Cross to assist victims of Hurricane Katrina, the Japanese Foreign Ministry said on Friday. Japan will also identify needs in affected regions via the U.S. government and will provide up to $300,000 in emergency supplies such as tents, blankets and power generators if it receives requests for such assistance, the ministry said.

SINGAPORE: The Singapore Armed Forces, responding to requests by the United States Texas Army National Guard, has sent three Chinook helicopters to Fort Polk, Louisiana, to help in relief efforts. The government said the Chinooks will help to ferry supplies and undertake airlift missions.

SOUTH KOREA: Has pledged aid and is waiting for a U.S. response, a government official said. "We have sent our intention to offer recovery aid," a Foreign Ministry official said on Friday.

SRI LANKA: Will donate $25,000 to the American Red Cross.

TAIWAN: Has pledged more than $3 million to the relief effort.

Americas

CANADA: Offered to help in any way it can and the navy is preparing a ship full of emergency disaster relief supplies to be sent when a request comes.

CUBA: Cuban President Fidel Castro offered to fly 1,100 doctors to Houston with 26 tonnes of medicine to treat disaster victims.

MEXICO: The country is sending 15 truckloads of water, food and medical supplies via Texas and the Mexican navy has offered to send two ships, two helicopters and 15 amphibious vehicles.

VENEZUELA: President Hugo Chavez, a vocal critic of the United States, offered to send cheap fuel, humanitarian aid and relief workers to the disaster area.

Europe

EUROPEAN UNION: EU countries are ready to give the United States oil if it requests help, EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana said on Friday. But British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw said this was not what the EU had in mind when it discussed how to help.

FRANCE: Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin said France was ready to offer support, telling TF1 television: "We have rescue teams based in the Caribbean and we are naturally ready to provide aid to the Americans, and that is what we have told them."

GERMANY: Has offered mobile units to provide clean water, military hospital facilities and medical aid.

ITALY: Has offered to "immediately" send aid and evacuation specialists, Italy's civil protection unit said. Authorities have prepared two military transport planes to fly amphibious vessels, pumps, generators, tents and personnel to New Orleans and other areas. They were awaiting word from U.S. officials, the unit said.

NETHERLANDS: Will provide teams for inspecting dykes and for identifying victims if there is a formal request from the United States. It will also send a frigate from Curacao to New Orleans shortly to provide emergency assistance, the government said.

RUSSIA: Has offered to help with rescue efforts, but is still awaiting a reply from Washington. "Above all with heavy transport planes, which can be loaded with helicopters and generators -- as there is no electricity in the area of the catastrophe," Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov said.

SPAIN: Expects to receive a formal request to release gasoline stocks to the United States and is prepared to grant it, an Industry Ministry spokesman said.

SWEDEN: The Rescue Authority said it was on stand-by to supply water purifying equipment, healthcare supplies and emergency shelters if needed.

UNITED KINGDOM: British Prime Minister Tony Blair has said Britain stands ready to help the United States in whatever way it can.

Middle East

SAUDI ARABIA - Saudi Refining, a Houston-based subsidiary of state oil firm Saudi Aramco, will donate $5 million to the American Red Cross to support relief efforts for victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Last Wednesday I was getting a haircut, and my barber, who is a veteren of the WWII generation, remarked rather sarcastically, "Isn't it great that all those countries around the world have offered to help us out, after all the times we've gone out and helped with thier disasters?" At that point, the media was focused exclusively on the unfolding story in N.O. and Mississippi, and I hadn't heard Bush's stated refusal of the aid of the world community. Of course, I was not going to get into a political debate with my barber either way. I would hope, however, that that list gets shown to every American who wrongly thinks that the world is against us or whatever. A good humbling is in order, I think.