Rock Vinyl Reissues From 1990's LPs

Jay

Just curious if anyone has picked up any recent rock 180g LP reissues? I picked up My Bloody Vlaentine's Loveless and Jeff Buckley's Grace. The former is fantastic and I haven't found the time to spin the latter. What I am most curious about are the new 4AD reissues of the Pixies material.

A related issue is the sound quality. Since the original records were pressed when quality control wasn't the same as, say, the 50's Blue Notes, and they haven't been reissued to death like our beleoved jazz titles (causing tape degradation), I wonder if these might actually sound *better* than the originals. . .

Any thoughts? Experiences?

I always thought the UK Creation pressing of Loveless was fine, though anything before that might be dubious in its original form.

agreed. those early Ride sides are the same way. one needs to keep in mind that the overall sound quality of a disc depends on not only the pressing (thickness of the vinyl, quality of the vinyl, etc) but also the way it was mixed before heading to the factory.

some of those Creation sessions were pretty condensed, and you'll get that regardless of what format you buy. brings up the same old question: why shell out $20 for a 150gm LP when it's source is a digital master? doesn't make sense...

I always thought the UK Creation pressing of Loveless was fine, though anything before that might be dubious in its original form.

agreed. those early Ride sides are the same way. one needs to keep in mind that the overall sound quality of a disc depends on not only the pressing (thickness of the vinyl, quality of the vinyl, etc) but also the way it was mixed before heading to the factory.

some of those Creation sessions were pretty condensed, and you'll get that regardless of what format you buy. brings up the same old question: why shell out $20 for a 150gm LP when it's source is a digital master? doesn't make sense...

Excellent point (I've been trying to find out whether a dig master was used on both the MBV and Buckley). I think thata the MBV was analog but am not sure.

Seems like there is almost more guesswork here than for our Jazz queries, though. . . Oh well.

All I know is that I saw the Minutement Documentary, We Jam Econo, last night and I am inspired to track all of that stuff down now too (I had some on cassette and CD). Great film if you are a fan of that era. . .