Headphone Suggestions

md655321

I have raved about the $29 Sennheiser HD-202 cans on more than one occasion here. They happen to be what I have spent at least 75% of my listening on in the past 3-4 years. They are a closed ear model, with decent bass response and relatively little coloration. Pretty well bulletproof, too--they go in and out of the work and gym bags every day. I went from some Grado 60s to these and consider them an improvement for my use.

B00009QH78.02._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I have heard quite a bit about Sony EX71/51 but im not sure about the sound or the cords.

The EX71s are great-sounding low-end earbuds, but are made like crap. I've gone through several pairs, some lasting months, others days. The wires and connections are really fragile, and the wires' rubber coating wears off very easily. (My last pair went bad within the 30-day warranty period, but you have to spend $10 to send it back for a replacement.)

I just got a pair of Shure e4s -- maybe not the best-sounding high-end plugs, but much better sounding than the Sonys. And the quality is incomparable -- the Shures are built to last.

So if you may not be able/willing to spend $150-300 on a pair of really high-end buds, I'd strongly urge you to make the jump from $30-40 Sonys to the cheapest of the high-end models at $100 or less.

I'd recommend this vendor:

http://store.earphonesolutions.com

(NOTE: I'm talking from the perspective of listening while stationary or walking around -- you may have different needs, e.g., use while exercising, needing less isolation from ambient sound, etc)

-Jason

I have EX51s and EX71s, and have never had any problems with them wearing out, breaking or otherwise. I like the way they isolate the sound (I use them when I watch movies on airplanes), and they sound quite good for the price. Definitely better than the usual $10 earbuds or whatever.

As far as earbuds go, the Sennheiser MX400 or MX500 (same with volume control) are a great deal.

I use the MX500 every day with my MP3 player, which means they are very durable too (except for the foam covers which need to be replaced regulalrly). It's the best earbuds I have ever heard, but I haven't tried the true audiophile models from Shure or Etymotics.

http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?locat...var1=215&var2=0

I got these for my mp3 players

Sennheiser MX 400 In-Ear Headphones

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=sr&page...EC&title=587373

Real nice sound too...and a decent name you can trust...geezz did I just write that :bad:

well you know what I mean

I have two sets

and a cheaper set by them and they are really reliable

Andy

I have raved about the $29 Sennheiser HD-202 cans on more than one occasion here.  They happen to be what I have spent at least 75% of my listening on in the past 3-4 years.  They are a closed ear model, with decent bass response and relatively little coloration.  Pretty well bulletproof, too--they go in and out of the work and gym bags every day.  I went from some Grado 60s to these and consider them an improvement for my use.

B00009QH78.02._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I just ordered and received a pair of these based on what I read in this thread and am very impressed. Thanks for the rec guys! :tup

• 4 weeks later...

I suppose i should give an update. I went with Sennheiser mx-500. nice headphones, better than the ipod buds for sure. They can still hurt my ears a bit with extended usage, but for 15 bucks they were a great purchase.

Im gonna upgrade again eventually, but im sorta afraid to get sucked down the audiophile rabbit hole. (atleast until i have a full tiem job and my girlfriend is out of grad school.)

But anyone who wants a cheap upgrade, those sennheisers were a very very good purchase. plus they arent awful white.

I suppose i should give an update.  I went with Sennheiser mx-500.  nice headphones, better than the ipod buds for sure.  They can still hurt my ears a bit with extended usage, but for 15 bucks they were a great purchase.

Im gonna upgrade again eventually, but im sorta afraid to get sucked down the audiophile rabbit hole.  (atleast until i have a full tiem job and my girlfriend is out of grad school.) 

But anyone who wants a cheap upgrade, those sennheisers were a very very good purchase.  plus they arent awful white.

Cool..glad you like them...I had to replace mine the other after they decided to wrap themselves in my bike wheel.whilst riding ..and then snapped :angry:

So I got another set of MX 300 for the bike and keep my nice beyer dynamic phones for the house

Edited by andybleaden

• 5 months later...

I have heard quite a bit about Sony EX71/51 but im not sure about the sound or the cords.

The EX71s are great-sounding low-end earbuds, but are made like crap. I've gone through several pairs, some lasting months, others days. The wires and connections are really fragile, and the wires' rubber coating wears off very easily. (My last pair went bad within the 30-day warranty period, but you have to spend $10 to send it back for a replacement.)

My EX51s just went to shit on me - I think the wire on the left earbud broke somewhere, as only the right earbud works now. I've been sort of soured on Sony products and am trying not to buy any more, even though I rather liked the sound out of the EX51s. Anyone have any other recommendations than the ones covered here already?

As far as earbuds go, the Sennheiser MX400 or MX500 (same with volume control) are a great deal.

I use the MX500 every day with my MP3 player, which means they are very durable too (except for the foam covers which need to be replaced regulalrly). It's the best earbuds I have ever heard, but I haven't tried the true audiophile models from Shure or Etymotics.

http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?locat...var1=215&var2=0

Since that post, I bought the AKG K14P earbuds, which I find more comfortable (mainly because the cord is more flexible) and sounding better (a bigger, smoother sound) than the Sennheiser MX500. The price is around $20.

http://www.akg.com/products/powerslave,id,...,mynodeid,.html

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=112841

Edited by Claude

• 6 years later...

Bumping this old thread. Since it was last updated, the AKG K14Ps were discontinued and I believe the Sennheiser MX400/500 were too. I tried all of them - the AKGs had better sound but I found them much more uncomfortable in the ears compared to the Sennheisers. I burn through earbuds quickly (18-24 months before I snag them in a door or break an internal wire somewhere).

Anyone know what the go-to models are for inexpensive headphones these days? Thinking of going with the HD-202s but they're a little more than I really need at the moment.

Edited by Big Wheel

• 3 months later...

One more bump for this one...I'm down to my last pair of MX-400s, and those are on their last legs after a trip to the beach. Some tiny grains of sand got into them I think and now the sound's all wonky.

Anyone got any recommendations? Some people claim the Monoprice 8320s offer good audio quality for the price but I am wary that they'll be uncomfortable. Also it sounds like they are designed with very heavy bass boost for hip-hop listening and I'm concerned that other genres will sound bad.

Edited by Big Wheel