Unissued Larry Young?

Stefan Wood

I'm reading the John Szwed bio of Miles Davis, and he mentions a lost session that featured his then wife Betty Mabry, Larry Young, John McLaughlin, Joe Zawinul, Mitch Mitchell, and Harvey Brooks. There were only three tracks recorded. 1969 session. Anyone know about this? (or even heard it??)

Edited by Stefan Wood

I suggest you ask Michael Cuscuna or Bob Belden. Cuscuna mentioned this in his Larry Young bio in the Mosaic box set, it must have taken place in July or August, 1969, putting it close to the Bitches Brew sessions; it even may have been part of them, who knows? They should have stepped over these tapes while preparing the Bitches Brew box set.

Guest Chicken Shack

Speaking about Larry Young, Mosaic found 10 Larry Young sets that were lost in a closet under a bunch of shit. They will be offering them starting sometime this coming week. I already have the Larry Young set so I don't need it. Just figured I let the board know.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Stefan.

Was this session made for Columbia, or for somebody else? Any info on what studio too? A demo session, maybe? Betty's first two albums were for the Just Sunshine label, and her third for Island, but her first one wasn't made (or at least released), until '73 or so, and it was very "San Francisco" heavy in terms of personnel. I thnk that her and Miles might have split by then, right?

I'd LIKE to think that if it was made for Columbia and involved Miles that there would be a record of it in their files somewhere, but that's the idealist in me, no doubt. But 3 tracks sounds to me like either a demo session or else a trainwreck of some sort. But the presence of Mitchell hints at a Hendix-via-Mabry connection, so a demo seems plausible. Or maybe there was a party going on, and everybody just popped into an available studio and jammed. Stranger things have happened.

No matter, Betty Davis' music is pretty intersting overall and on its own terms - heavy-metal-funk-amazon-nympho jams. Definitely not for everybody, but in no way does it lack in "personality". Cool covers, too.