Ode to the Hep label

ghost of miles

Speaking of the Hep label, has anybody ever taken the plunge and bought the "New Friends Of Rhythm" CD (CD 1086)? That "swinging the classics" idea has its charm (and I've listend to a fair bit of that kind of tunes frm that period) but I am not so sure if this particular one really does swing in a really jazzy manner or if it is all just gimmickry. Somehow I am a bit wary when classical musicians all of a sudden discover their jazz inclinations.

http://www.hepjazz.com/1000.html

CD 1086

NEW FRIENDS OF RHYTHM

1939-47 Performances

Collection of one of the most unusual groups in swing history, with players largely drawn from the NBC Symphony Ork with additions of Laura Newell on Harp and Buster Bailey on Clarinet. The arrangements of Alan Shulman "hepping up " the classics by Tchaikovsky,Bizet,Bach,Paganini,Mozart,Brahms,Schubert and Heifitz plus originals by Shulman, Hank D'Amico on the 1947 tracks.Extensive biography booklet with photos by Jay Shulman.

Titles - The Droschky Drag,When Johnny Comes Marching Home,Capriciousness No 24,Barber's Hitch, Fable in Sable,Riffin'Raff,Yorkshire Pudding,CShoot the Schubert to me Hubert,Goulash,Foster Chile,High Voltage,Heavy Traffic on Canal Street,Mood in Question,Coo Dinny Coo,Sweet Sue,Sailor's Dance,Mood in Question,Southern Comfort,High Voltage,Night cap.Platter Chatter,Peter Ilych on Flying Trapeze,Capriciousness No 24,Droschky Drag,Honeysuckle Rose,Barbers Hitch.

£8.99 - Price includes postage & packaging per order:

Doesn't quite look like my bag... but Sagajazz has two nice volumes of "jazzin' the classics" if you like that (sounds like you do). They should be around cheap, too!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, King Ubu, but of course I did see that description on the Hep website too.

I was hoping somebody around here had taken the plunge and bought this one.

I like the classics as jazzed up by John Kirby a lot and have also done my share of listening to Hazel Scott (and others) and did enjoy that too within reasonable limits, but here I am a bit doubtful.

O.K., then - anybody out there who can provide his listening impressions?

Thanx!

I didn't want to imply you hadn't seen the description - it's just that the Hep site is such a pain to navigate, that instead of a dozen of us going there and searching, I thought I'd rather quote it here :)

I didn't want to imply you hadn't seen the description - it's just that the Hep site is such a pain to navigate, that instead of a dozen of us going there and searching, I thought I'd rather quote it here :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On the Hep horizon:

Artie Shaw: Complete Thesaurus Transcriptions

It's the 1949-50 big band.

the artie shaw thesaurus transcriptions cd on the hep label is out now. unfortunately there is no mention of it on the hep web site. i ordered it via jpc. i heard that the hep label has problems but i hope that they bring us more wonderful music in the future!

keep boppin´

marcel

On the Hep horizon:

Artie Shaw: Complete Thesaurus Transcriptions

It's the 1949-50 big band.

the artie shaw thesaurus transcriptions cd on the hep label is out now. unfortunately there is no mention of it on the hep web site. i ordered it via jpc. i heard that the hep label has problems but i hope that they bring us more wonderful music in the future!

keep boppin´

marcel

Yep, owner Alastair Robertson told me a while ago the label isn't doing too well. All the more reason to buy a few (or more) of his excellent releases.

Edited by J.A.W.

• 2 weeks later...

On disc 2 of my copy of the Thesaurus Transcriptions track 8 "Exactly Like You" is missing and

all subsequent titles have to be renumbered.

Anyone else have this problem?

Review on Amazon site mentions this issue, among others. Disappointed by the review, which, if true, makes this less than a complete recordings cd that I hoped for. I still might get it as Amazon is showing a seller at $23.70, which is a good buy -- PLUS, it is Artie Shaw after all. I'm still thinking about getting the Mosaic also, but I need a little more convincing.

Edited by Matthew

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Posted this in "What Are You Listening To" but thought I'd cross-post here:

Teddy Wilson, WARMIN' UP: V. 2, from Hep's Teddy Wilson series--a really excellent run of titles:

Teddy Wilson on Hep

I held off on getting these for years, because I thought they were mostly the Billie Holiday sessions (with the exception of V. 7, which covers Teddy's 1939-40 big band) that I already had a couple times over...but there are actually quite a few instrumentals & non-Billie small-group sessions, solo dates, and sides made with other singers sprinkled throughout.

BTW, the website says V. 2 is "temporarily unavailable," but Alastair just received a repressing, which is why my copy showed up this past week.

Edited by ghost of miles

The Teddy Wilson issues on hep are all excellent. I only regret that Alistair didn't quite get to issuing all of the Teddy Wilson sides from before the recording ban.

Some of the other singers on the Wilson dates are quite good. Midge Williams, who I like a lot, shows up on at least one session.

Teddy Wilson, WARMIN' UP: V. 2, from Hep's Teddy Wilson series--a really excellent run of titles:

Teddy Wilson on Hep

I held off on getting these for years, because I thought they were mostly the Billie Holiday sessions (with the exception of V. 7, which covers Teddy's 1939-40 big band) that I already had a couple times over...but there are actually quite a few instrumentals & non-Billie small-group sessions, solo dates, and sides made with other singers sprinkled throughout.

BTW, the website says V. 2 is "temporarily unavailable," but Alastair just received a repressing, which is why my copy showed up this past week.

Teddy Wilson on Hep

Who's Alastair? How do you get him and get stuff from him please?

MG

Teddy Wilson on Hep

MG

Alastair is Alastair Robertson, founder and owner of Hep.

Hep website (you can also find the link elsewhere in this thread)

Teddy Wilson on Hep

MG

Thanks Hans - but "Warmin' up" is still "temporarily unavailable". How does one get a copy, as Ghost did?

MG

Teddy Wilson on Hep

MG

Thanks Hans - but "Warmin' up" is still "temporarily unavailable". How does one get a copy, as Ghost did?

MG

Why don't you use the "contact" button in the left-hand column and ask Alastair if he can supply a copy?