Ode to the Hep label

ghost of miles

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are definitely worth buying, even if you already own some of these sessions. All the material on the Wilson discs is also available on Classics (and has also been issued on the now-defunct Masters of Jazz label), but the Hep albums have a vastly superior sound, as they have all been remastered by John R.T. Davies, IMHO the best restoration engineer in the field of vintage reissues (along with Ted Kendall, who did some wonderful work on many other Heps, such as the great Artie Shaw 1944-45 3-CD set).

The remastering on the Metronome series is either by John R.T. Davies or Ted Kendall. I haven't had time to check the entire series, though. It must also be noted that on some of the non-studio material (airchecks, etc, such as on the Buddy Rich or Jimmy Dorsey CDs), or those sessions originally recorded for small labels (on the Nat Pierce "Boston Bust-Out" CD, for instance), the sound is naturally a bit inferior, though the results are invariably cleaner than on other issues (I have had time to compare, having been an avid collector for 35 years!).

These, however, remain exceptions, and there are many instances of excellent sound on sessions not intended for commercial release (check the great Sam Donahue Navy Band CDs--an absolute must!--or the fine Boyd Raeburn discs, among others).

P.S. Other labels to consider (if you are into classic jazz, of course) : Jazz Oracle, Frog, Retrieval, Sensation, Cygnet : all of their reissue albums are remastered by John R. T. Davies. Also most of the albums on Timeless Historical.

If yo are interested, here is a link to the John R.T. Davies website

Edited by FrancoisD

The Artie Shaw 1944-45 3-CD set is not to be missed. What a band! And Francois is right on about Sam Donahue--I recently picked up all four of the Heps, and that was one underrated outfit.

I've never been a label completist before--not even with Mosaic--but I love what Hep puts out so much that I just might try to eventually snap up everything they've ever released on CD. Is the Teddy Hill still available? Worlds Records doesn't seem to have that one, and I'd really like to find it--early Diz and all that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That's good news, I think. Anything that improves U.S. distribution for Hep is a happy event in my book.

Just got Artie Shaw's IN THE BEGINNING yesterday, the last part of a purchase I made from Collector's Choice, which is currently selling many of the Heps for $12.95 or 3 for $35. I've heard very little of this particular edition of Shaw (the first big band, with a string quartet augmenting it); only disappointment is that this CD, which claims to contain nearly all of the band's recordings, doesn't include "Interlude," one of the most famous early Shaw pieces.

• 2 weeks later...

Another excellent Hep album is the Benny Goodman 'Benny's Bop 1948-49'. Came upon that one and hesitated to get it because I already had a number of those sides with Wardell Gray and Stan Hasselgard but the price was right. Glad I bought it since it includes quite a number of unissued material by the Benny Goodman Sextet which had - in addition to Gray - Mary Lou Williams, Billy Bauer, Clyde Lombardi and Mel Zelnick. Hasselgard was out on that session but is on heard on some other tracks by a BG quintet with Chuck Wayne and Barbara Carroll.

With very good transfers by John R.T. Davies.

Lots of new material for Wardell Gray fans on that one!

• 4 weeks later...

BENNY'S BOP is indeed another good one.

Just got the new Woody Herman Hep release, ROAD BAND 1948. Almost no, if any, overlap with the live Herman CD from 1948 that I already have, and lots of solos from Getz, Chaloff, Sims, etc. No November 1949 Carnegie Hall concert, though, as promoted earlier--maybe on a forthcoming issue?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Posted this elsewhere, but anybody have an opinion on the three Larry Clinton Heps?

A local store has a few of these fairly cheaply but the AMG description doesn't sound too appealing!!

Fletcher Henderson "Wild Party" on Hep is highly recommended , some fine Red Allan, Hawk, Webster and proto swing stuff, really interesting historically and great music too.

Thanks for the heads up, GoM. I ordered the Jack Jenney, a couple Nat Pierces, the 47-48 Buddy Rich and a Casa Loma. The Jenney I've been trying to find for a long time. Good stuff! :tup

I like the Jack Jenny cd as well! I wish they had some alternates of Star Dust, but that is still a sublime version.....Which Casa Loma??? I have three of them, really an underrated band, IMHO.....

Will Bradley Hep (The first one) is very good as well...It's better than Chicken, fried in bacon Grease! (Inside joke, just for me! :lol::rolleyes: )

Anyone have the Bob Zurke cd??? Inconsistent to be sure, but some good stuff..his version of Tea for Two is unbelievable...if everything he recorded was that good, he would have been a household name....

Edited by BERIGAN

recently picked up Red Norvo- "Dance of the octapus".on HEp

A mixed bag this one with some Bunny, Artie but also some truly dreadful vocals. It's a long CD so there's enough of interest but hardly compelling. A female singer called Mae ???? is histerically bad, with a childish intonation what nearly made me crash the car it was so bad. Quite funny once I guess.

recently picked up Red Norvo- "Dance of the octapus".on HEp

A mixed bag this one with some Bunny, Artie but also some truly dreadful vocals. It's a long CD so there's enough of interest but hardly compelling. A female singer called Mae ???? is histerically bad, with a childish intonation what nearly made me crash the car it was so bad. Quite funny once I guess.

Yeah...Mae Questel...name doesn't ring a bell? Perhaps you will recognize her from her other roles....

ledererquestel04.jpg

ledererquestel03.gif

Like they say in the liner notes to The Norvo cd...."At first hearing one might be appalled at the grotesque precociousness of a classic all American brat. But, if you are aware that Bronx born Mae Questel was already 27 years old when she made these records and that she was the voice of the Betty Boop cartoon character, as well as the voice of Popeye's beloved Olive Oyl, that MS Questel is now 86 and that her vast list of showbiz credits include Funny Girl, Who Killed Roger Rabbit, and Oedipus Wrecks(As Woody Allen's Mother!) Then listening to these two sides becomes a hugely enjoyable and comic experience!"

I love In a Mist, and Dance of the Octopus with Benny Goodman on Bass Clarinet...surreal sounding for the early 30's.....

Edited by BERIGAN

• 2 months later...

Upcoming releases (as listed at jazzmatazz):

Jessica Williams - Real Deal (Hep 2086) Sept 7 — solo piano

NEW Benny Carter/Jimmy Mundy/Gerald Wilson - They All Had Rhythm - '45-'46 (Hep ) Sept 7 — live recordings

NEW Mary Ann McCall - You're Mine, You: 1939-'5 (Hep 76) Sept 7

NEW Artie Shaw - The Artistry Of Artie Shaw (Hep 78) Sept 7

— musicians include: Jimmy Raney (guitar); Don Fagerquist (trumpet); Hank Jones (piano); 1949 - 1953

NEW Claude Thornhill - 1949-53 Performances (Hep 80) Sept 7