Ode to the Hep label

ghost of miles

Have just skimmed through these pages and can find no mention of recordings (as opposed to reissues) undertaken by Hep. To set the record straight, here's an excellent album I bought recently which was recorded in Edinburgh by Hep eight years ago by visiting American musicians:

51RxGzZhZbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look more carefully, there are mentions of a few recordings that hep originated (such as a Jessica Williams, a Don Lanphere, and a Jay Clayton).

Strictly from memory, there are some more Jessica Williams cds on hep, along with some by Spike Robinson and by Joe Temperley that hep recorded and that reside on my shelves. A Gene DiNovi as well.

• 3 months later...

great, if not sensational news for all bunny berigan fans: according to michael p. zirpolo, author of a book about bunny berigan hep records will release some unissued airchecks of bunny berigan this summer:

"ANNOUNCEMENT!
It is with great pleasure that I am able to announce that an agreement has been reached between the University of Wisconsin and Alastair Robertson of Hep Records, which will allow previously unissued aircheck and other recordings made by Bunny Berigan in the late 1930s that are housed in the University’s Mills Music Library to be sonically restored, digitally remastered, and issued on the Hep label for worldwide distribution and sale.
Very soon, the acetate disks on which these recordings were made will be shipped from Madison, Wisconsin to sonic engineer Doug Pomeroy in New York City for digital transfers to be made, sonic restoration, and remastering. After that has been done, the acetates will be returned to the Mills Music Library, and the digitally remastered sound files will be sent to Alastair Robertson in Scotland. Mr. Robertson will then begin the production process.
The contemplated CD issue, which we hope will be out this coming summer, will include previously unissued Berigan recordings made while Bunny and his band were at the Hotel Pennsylvania in the spring of 1937, the Paradise Restaurant in the spring of 1938, possibly a recording from their stay at Roseland Ballroom in Manhattan in October of 1938, and a recording that seems to have been made in a studio in the fall of 1938. “I hope to include at least a dozen previously unissued performances on this CD,” said Mr. Robertson recently. “I have heard dubs of the acetates that have not been optimally transferred or sonically restored. Although there is much great playing on them by Bunny and they are pretty good soundwise, until I get the final digital transfers that have been cleaned-up by Doug Pomeroy, I cannot say with certainty exactly how many of them will be of sufficient sound quality for commercial issue. But I hope that the CD will have at least a dozen previously unissued tracks on it. The balance of the tracks on the CD will be rare but previously issued airchecks that all have excellent Berigan playing on them, and range in sound quality from very good to excellent. My objective with this CD is to present as much previously unissued Berigan music as possible in the best sound possible with the best Berigan playing possible.”
Among the musicians who will be heard with Bunny on this CD are: Buddy Rich, George Wettling, Johnny Blowers, drums; Georgie Auld, tenor sax; Joe Dixon, Gus Bivona, Joe DiMaggio, alto sax and clarinet; Sonny Lee and Ray Conniff, trombone; Joe Bushkin and Buddy Koss, piano.
I will assist Mr. Robertson in any way I can with the production of this CD. I will be writing the liner notes, compiling the necessary information about each selection, and providing the photos that will be used.
I will provide continuous reports on the progress of this project on the “Mr. Trumpet” website. You can also go to www.hepjazz.com and scroll down to “Hep Jazz News,” and click.
MICHAEL P. ZIRPOLO"
great news, indeed!!!
keep boppin´
marcel

Great news--thanks for passing this along, Marcel! Listening right now to the new David Allyn comp on Hep, WHERE YOU AT? Also got the recent Hep Harry James of mid-1940s broadcasts... only one track overlaps with the excellent 3-CD Hindsight set of live James, btw.

• 3 months later...

Great sound on the Berigan record.

When I was in HS, I played in a kid band organized by BB's clarinet/alto player Joe Dixon, and later did many gigs and recorded with him. He was interviewed on Phil Schaap's radio show, and they played one of the recordings we made, and Phil mentioned my name on air :rlol

Joe was featured with Tommy Dorsey's Clambake Seven, and was a world class clarinetist.

That picture of him on the link freaks me out...

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

I searched for it too back in January, and found that the label is now owned by 43 North Holdings. 

Their website is now down, but this is what they had back in January: https://web.archive.org/web/20230929105045/https://43northholdings.com/labels/hep-jazz/

I don't know whow "43 North Holdings" are, but when I checked im January they seemed to own quite a few independent labels active in the 1950s, like Period, Warwick or Everest. 

As for Hep, I'm not surprised at all. Robertson told me years ago he was thinking of quitting.

F

58 minutes ago, AllenLowe said:

I like the label, but for a while, and maybe now, they were/are using CDRs and not informing anyone. When I sent an email complaining politely the guy who answered got pretty nasty.

This seems to be trending with a number of UK jazz labels, including Acrobat and Sounds of Yesteryear. I don't like paying premium prices for CDRs and unlabeled ones at that. 

This is definitely an unsavory business practice that will cross these labels off of my shopping list.

1 hour ago, AllenLowe said:

I like the label, but for a while, and maybe now, they were/are using CDRs and not informing anyone. When I sent an email complaining politely the guy who answered got pretty nasty.

For what it's worth, my copy of their 2-CD set of Alec Wilder's music, which is probably the last thing they ever released, is definitely regular CDs. 

F

Edited by Fer Urbina
Typo

16 hours ago, Fer Urbina said:

For what it's worth, my copy of their 2-CD set of Alec Wilder's music, which is probably the last thing they ever released, is definitely regular CDs. 

F

well, from the way this guy responded to me, I would still wonder; chances are that what they are doing is converting their back catalog to CDR,

that's interesting - I only ordered from them approximately a month ago - the website above was accessible then - just tried & coundn't access the site - maybe it's only temporary

I only ordered one disc (Stuff Smith) & it arrived super fast (Australia!!) - IIRC shipping was free (jewel case removed) - total cost £8.99.

It's definitely not a CDr - looks similar to my older Hep CDs

• 1 month later...

A lot of the Hep records catalog is available on Qobuz. You can purchase the albums for download only. You can also sample the tracks. Unfortunately they probably don't include the liner notes.

Here's a link (in French)

https://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/label/hep-records/download-streaming-albums/145563

Edited by hopkins