Show us your... paintings

scottb

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Now be nice! 2 of my Mom's paintings. Mom's vision was damaged from her diabetes, couldn't sit or stare for too long. Never tried any painting till she was 60. I think it's kinda cool she was inspired by some aboriginal artwork she saw in some magazines a few years back. Wish she had found an interest in painting sooner. She only completed 3.

This is the only one she didn't think sucked completely. She felt she just was copying their art, but I felt she interpreted it, more than just copied it.

Edited by BERIGAN

This is my favorite one she did for some reason. Mom didn't even want me to hang it up. When my best friend who has painted on and off for years saw it, he liked it best as well. Mom said it was supposed to be underwater, which frankly, I don't see, it looks more like (but not exactly) outer space.... Too much glare if I photograph it straight on.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the aboriginal one a bit better. I think the other one could be underwater if it is deep, deep down under the ocean where light doesn't reach. The fish down there either glow or don't have eyes. Maybe she saw a documentary on it. Anyway, they will be a lasting reminder of her - something to treasure.

I have a better photo of this, as well as a second piece I bought in Chicago. But this is what was at hand. I can't recall the name of the artist, but I bought it in an Old Town gallery in Chicago. I went back three times before finally buying the piece. I did paint the walls that color, however.

these are my first attempts at conte+wash from life drawing class last night... i'd like to say i'm getting the hang of it but i'm not. . . i used the paintbrush as little as possible, conte's a mess enough as it is

nov_15_sit2.jpg

(now that i think about it... that's supposed to be a hairbun not a kippah)

nov_15_sit4.jpg

Edited by joeface

and here's a knee i though came out pretty good, just letting light values reveal the form and going easy on contour lines... sort of a personal breakthrough i guess. i cropped it from a larger charcoal drawing which i won't post because the foreshortening and proportions are wacked

nov_13_nude_d.jpg

Edited by joeface

This is my favorite one she did for some reason. Mom didn't even want me to hang it up. When my best friend who has painted on and off for years saw it, he liked it best as well. Mom said it was supposed to be underwater, which frankly, I don't see, it looks more like (but not exactly) outer space.... Too much glare if I photograph it straight on.

I like your Mom's work too, Beri. Bet your glad to have them.

• 9 years later...

My wife finally has time to paint again after raising our three daughters to the ages of semi-responsibility (ie, they are all in school now!) One of the reasons I fell in love with her is due to her wonderful work and I'm really proud that she's not only painting again but selling a lot of her pieces. Our own Larry Kart has purchased a piece.

www.alisonartisan.com

• 2 months later...

My wife finally has time to paint again after raising our three daughters to the ages of semi-responsibility (ie, they are all in school now!) One of the reasons I fell in love with her is due to her wonderful work and I'm really proud that she's not only painting again but selling a lot of her pieces. Our own Larry Kart has purchased a piece.

www.alisonartisan.com

I've now purchased two -- one last year (it's on a wall at home), the other recently (it's in the forthcoming show). I'm hooked; she's SO good, plus her work just speaks to me.