Larry Young Mosaic

Guest Chicken Shack

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..... that always reminds us who's in charge.

Here we go again, first our minds are led by the desire for a Larry Young box set, now by the desire to find out who the hell posted this hoax: we're so easy to fool ......

....yes, we're such fools. everyone but you. <_<

Well, I probably didn't make a fool of myself because I already have a set .... ;)

... but hey, what about the other guys that didn't jump at it, do y'all have one or do they all hate B-3 organs or .....

What made me skeptical was the "bunch of shit" in the initial post: There ain't no shit in the Mosaic storage rooms!

Edited by mikeweil

Hello everyone,

Like Chaney, I also posted before B-3r and I'm posting from the East Coast (Washington, DC). However, I can assure you that I did not start this. How about the moderator clearing anybody's name who asks to be cleared? I'll start: Please clear my name from this b.s.

If ever there was a set that ought to be reissued, this is the one! Phooey on the "we'll never issue it again" rule. The demand for this set in enormous. Of course, a few TOCJs and a Select or two would cover it all (taking into account the individual CD reissue slated for this fall).

If ever there was a set that ought to be reissued, this is the one! Phooey on the "we'll never issue it again" rule. The demand for this set in enormous. Of course, a few TOCJs and a Select or two would cover it all (taking into account the individual CD reissue slated for this fall).

I agree . i only became aware of Mosaic over the last year or so ago & it does seem a shame that unless I pay mega money there wont be a chance to buy this set just because of this .

I'm sure there are people getting into jazz all the time - they will also miss out just because of when they discovered this music .

I understand alot of people bought these sets on the understanding that they are limited , but a lot of people are missing out on some brilliant/important music.

Gary, I don't have any respect for people who only bought a set because it is limited. That might be a secondary aspect of such a purchase, but the main motivation ought to be to listen to the music.

But, Mosaic has made a legal agreement with the various record companies, and they have to respect that, I suppose. In this case, though, it's only Blue Note (Capitol), which is pretty close to being the same crowd, so what harm would be done if they put people out of their misery and reissued the whole set. This set just came out too soon for most would-be collectors to get it, and we know that they didn't even sell the whole run (5000 or 7000, whatever it was).

This was the first Mosaic I ever bought. Had never even heard Larry Young. I knew he played organ, but up until that point absolutely nothing of his Blue Note stuff was available on CD. Boy, what a revelation that was. It's still my all-time favorite Mosaic.

That said, with Unity, Something Else, I Want To Hold Your Hand, ect. still readily available...that's really the bulk of the Mosaic. Sure there's some other good stuff. But none of them compare to these sessions imho. You could spend the rest of your life listening to Unity and Into Something and IWTHYH and never miss the rest.

So if you don't have the Mosaic, don't be too bummed. Especially with Mothership out soon, that's a lot of Larry's BN available on single CDs.

Gary, I don't have any respect for people who only bought a set because it is limited. That might be a secondary aspect of such a purchase, but the main motivation ought to be to listen to the music.

But, Mosaic has made a legal agreement with the various record companies, and they have to respect that, I suppose. In this case, though, it's only Blue Note (Capitol), which is pretty close to being the same crowd, so what harm would be done if they put people out of their misery and reissued the whole set. This set just came out too soon for most would-be collectors to get it, and we know that they didn't even sell the whole run (5000 or 7000, whatever it was).

The Larry Young Mosaic set was a 7,500 copies job. It sold at $90 (6 CDs or 9 LPs

same price for the two formats). I passed on this one when it came out since I had the

original LPs.

This whole concept is absurd. A company like Mosaic has to have strict inventory controls after all these years in business, unless they use gremlins as stockpeople, the odds of them misplacing ten box sets after all these years is pretty slim.