BFT #29 Disc 1 Discussion

Upright Bill

1. Oh nice, classic New Orleans style jazz.

Piano sounds like Earl Hines.

2. This one sounds a bit cutesy but still fun.

I'm not even going to try to guess who's performing these. As if guessing the normally favored bop material isn't impossible enough. I'm just enjoying the music.

3. Very cool. Love the restrained swinging here.

4. Duke?

5. Bass clarinet? Sweet. Also sound quality and piano make it sound very modern.

6. Pretty.

7. I like the music but not the bass tone so much. I guess we're out of trad...

8. Bowed bass. Dunno many who do that outside of Paul Chambers and this definitely older.

9. Groovy. Familiar sounding tune.

10. Nice arrangement.

11. Ooh, A Night In Tunisia. Art Blakey, from the album of the same name?

12. I feel like I should know this...

13. A lot of hard 4-on-the-floor rhythms on this BFT. Must say I'm not impressed by this track as I'm not really following the trumpeter's groove here.

14. Ah, I like this kind of trumpet playing. Art Farmer?

15. Back to some old school? Lionel Hampton?

16. Powell inspired piano but of the next generation.

17. Kenny Burrell?

18. Is that Ron Carter bowing? Freddie Hubbard-like trumpet blowing.

19. This one's OK, not bad, not terribly inspiring, though the instrumentation is pretty cool. I have no idea who this is, though I'm tempted to say Eric Dolphy, simply because there's a flute and he does weird harmonies like this.

OK, just had a listen and jotted some notes. Could only spot one of the tracks definitively but here goes nothing.

1 & 2) Very '20s sounding and if it's not Louis or Sidney, I'm hopeless when it comes to this period.

3) Sounds like a John Kirby group. Very tight ensemble work, probably Omer Simeon on clarinet. Enjoyed it.

4) Basie with Pres? Totally not familiar with this track.

5) Is that "Peg o' My Heart" played on a bass saxophone? Whatever, NMCOT.

6) Sounds like Fats Waller and of course, it's definitely Slam Stewart doing that vocalizing on bass. Don't know of any time they collaborated so the pianist must be someone else. I don't believe it's Guarnieri 'cause I never heard him play with that kind of facility. Great track!

7) You do like bass, don't you? Well it's Duke's "What Am I Here For?", but I can't tell you anything else. Nice.

8) Bass pizzicata, "Sophisticated Lady". Nothing else to report.

9) Tune is very familiar, can't place it. Pres-influence tenor - Illinois Jacquet? Good track.

10) More bass, sounds late '40s. Enjoyable track

11) This was a giveaway before you heard Buhania's voice at the end. 'Nuff said.

12) Another gimme. Had a musician friend who used to say "Nice geech (money) if you can work it". The one and only Sphere at the keys.

13) A very familiar early '50s blues. Sounds very much like Miles probably backed by Mingus on one of those Prestige dates they did back then.

14) Is that Bobby Hackett? Can't place trombone although I know that Hackett did a lot of work with Tea. Just doesn't sound anywhere as smooth as Tea does.

15) Like #10, a late '40s sound. Is that Terry Gibbs possibly on vibes? Diz-influenced trumpet, perhaps from Woody's band, Sonny Berman maybe? Tenor I can't place.

16) Pleasant piano trio but doesn't grab me.

17) No reaction

18) Ah, the one I got. Recognized PC's pizzicata style immediately, then I definitely heard Clifford Jordan on tenor. So I'm pretty sure it's from a PC Blue Note date in which Donald Byrd is the trumpeter I believe.

19) Hey, a very challenging and highly enjoyable track, but I'm lost trying to get a handle on the vibes, flute and trumpet players. Am anxious to get the lowdown on this one.

The disc was uneven for my tastes but each track grabbed my attention.

P.S. I just decided to edit this post in order to put in the link for #18 which happens to be track 4 on this album:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:0a3gtq9zbu42

Edited by MartyJazz

Lots of good stuff for me on this disc. I am puzzled to identify much but will try to do so without giving anything away if I can.

1 – 4. These tracks I enjoyed listening to but they are away from my usual fare so I have no chance of identifying anyone and do not know the tunes either. Some powerful swinging going on from high class groups I would think.

5. Can’t be any secret about the tune – Sleepy Time Gal. The trumpet player reminded me a little of Ruby but I don’t hear enough of him or trumpeters who play in a similar style to say more. Relaxed music.

6. I s this Slam? Sounds okay just once but would get on my nerves very often.

7. What am I Here For? is the tune but I can’t give any names.

8. Sophisticated Lady of course but no inspiration here either.

9. Again no clue, not even the tune this time.

10. Still in the dark.

11. This tune is obvious from the first few notes of the intro, as is the personnel soon afterwards, even without the announcement at the end. I don’t know this version.

12. Nice work if You Can Get It by the genius of modern music and the R ‘n B rhythm team – same drummer as 11.

13. No ideas here.

14. Can’t think of the tune although I seem to have heard it before. Relaxed – ending a bit over the top. No ideas as to the players.

15. Early bop – Terry Gibbs?

16. Seem to know the tune but can’t produce the name. Neither can I think of who the players might be.

17. No light here either.

18. I know this one – the bass player leader is easily recognizable, as is the drummer, and the other three are all big favourites. Golson tune, with the appropriate numeral for the instrument.

19. Nice but no ideas except to take a wild guess at James Spaulding on flute.

Very interesting disc Bill. I’m sure to have a self kicking session when the answers become known. Maybe some are up already.

Ok, so here goes with the first listen through; no Googling, reading other responses or other cheating…

1. Wonderful! I love this kind of stuff, though I don’t claim to be particularly knowledgeable about it. I guess bass players will figure large on this BFT; this is sounds like an early example of string bass (as opposed to brass). Anyway, joyful music whoever it is.

2. Some mighty slapping going on in the bass.. Pops Foster? This grooves!

3. Moving into the early swing era… still no idea. Good music though.

4: Ah! What’s this? I’m pretty sure I have this. Sounds Basie-ish. Got it. Track 4 from here. Walter Page on bass.

5: A leap forward in time here… hard to pin down but acoustically in sounds like a 70s recording, so some late period mainstreamers. Ooh, what’s the tune? I should know that. Nope. Can't think.

6: Woah. A piano virtuoso. Hines? Tatum? Is that Major Holley on bass? No, doesn’t sound like him… Oh! I might go for Holley’s prime influence, Slam Stewart playing with Art Tatum. Hell of a track anyway.

7. Well, the tune is ‘What Am I Here For?’ played as a bass feature. No idea.

8: ‘Sophisticated Lady’, piano and bowed bass. Well, it's these guys, track 10. Remarkable bass playing playing, even now.

9. Mid 40s swing-into-bop. Some familiar sounding voices but nothing springs to mind.

10. Stab in the dark but could this be very early Mingus playing with Lionel Hampton? A guess.

11. Can’t imagine this’ll be a mystery for long! ‘Night in Tunisia’ of course, from this classic album. Wonderful music. One of the great live albums. Curly Russell on bass.

12. ‘Nice Work if You Can Get It, ’ and it could only be our man here. Al McKibbon on bass.

13. Title track from this album. Percy Heath on bass. Amazing how interesting simply walking quarter notes through two choruses of a blues can be in the right hands. Lovely.

14. Nice warm trumpet (flugelhorn?), sounds a little like Clark Terry. Interesting line up; guitar in place of piano, no saxes. Nice interplay. Dunno.

15. Well there’s some wonderful playing here, no idea who it is. The only vibists from this period that spring to mind are Hampton and Red Norvo.

16. Familiar sounding theme, can’t place it. The piano is a little Oscar-ish. Monty Alexander perhaps?

17. Nice. Nothing hits me here.

18. More bowed bass. One of the more demanding disciplines of bass playing I would imagine, nicely done here. Nice strong tenor. Trumpet sure sounds familiar. Solid stuff.

19. Nice flute; a couple of phrases had a Dolphyesque angularity to them but I’m guessing it’s a little earlier than Eric. More vibes. Sounds like advanced mid-50s stuff, Teddy Charles or someone.

Good solid disc. Five tracks I’ve nailed for sure but I would guess I’m not alone on those. A lot of bass solos! Didn’t see that coming! ;)

Will try and listen to disc 2 tomorrow.

I think i am beginning to understand your user name, you have a thing for bass. I was almost expecting a dr dre song to finish this comp off. I really enjoyed the early jazz tracks, alive and grooving with strong bass ofcourse, was that bells i heard on track 2? Track 6 is so far my favorite. Solid version of a night in tunisia, but it is full of clicks and stuff sadly, the drum solo tipped me off, but i couldn't put my finger on the axact location, Rosco got it.

Let's start to declare that I like this compilation, but I think it's horrible to add some remarks to the tracks. But, let's give it a try.

It is remarkable how the bass-player(s) are dong their jobs in this compilation and I also like the duos I find in some tracks

1. New Orleans style

2. Not my piece of cake. It looks like playing the traditional music in the "French-traditionalist" style, but then in a wrong way. With "French traditionalist" style I mean the music of Charquet et Co, Orpheon Celesta, Le Petit Jazz band of Mr. Morel or the Hot Antic Jazz Band. I like that traditional style very well played by the fore-mentioned bands.

3. Raymond Scott like music - maybe the master himself otherwise some reproducers.

4. Duke Ellington or Teddy Wilson?

5. Bariton sax player is marvelous. Do I hear Clark Terry?

6. Art Tatum like virtuosity on piano. The bass-vocal duo remembers me to the music of Al Cohn - Zoot Sims in Angel Eyes (Major Holley on double bass)

7. Excellent bass player

8. Bowed bass

9. one or two pianos?

11. Finally I had the trumpet player correct - Clifford Brown ....... and then the announcer prompts the answer !!

12. Bud Powell or Monk?

rest will follow later .....

Edited by Durium

I’m in the dark on some of the material here, so I’ll be selective...

4- reminds me of Basie

6- sounds like Slam Stewart. As far as the pianist, I thought of Tatum at first, but decided not. There’s not quite the harmonic adventure with this player (great chops nonetheless, though).

7- the tune is “What Am I Here For?”. I like the tone this bassist gets- clean and clear, with lots of punch. No idea who it is, though...

8- As on #7, I recognize the tune (“Sophisticated Lady”), but not the musicians. Sounds like maybe 1940’s.

11- It’s always good to hear this. One of those Blue Notes that pre-dates the classic/popular era just enough to be often forgotten.

12- Hmm... same label, same drummer as #11. Track 7 (the master take) on volume 1 of the BN “Genius” material.

13- I’m a little Hazy on this (not) ;) One of my favorite albums by this artist, and a favorite to mention as “overlooked”. Same drummer again!

14- Interesting. This sounds kind of familiar, and kind of not. Two trumpets... or is that a trumpet and a flugelhorn? Contrasting tones for sure. The thing that’s confusing me here is that somebody allowed a guitar player to get in on this- and take a solo! :) I thought I had solved it when I remembered I had a few things by the Condoli brothers with this instrumentation, but I don’t seem to have this tune. The sound is very similar to their group, though. I’m stumped for now...

16- Wow. Serious chops. This sounds like a modern recording, so I imagine it could be somebody I’ve never heard of. Nice tag at the end by the bassist. :)

17- This one is BUGGING me. I know this tune, but the name escapes me. The group has a very familiar sound to it (and I could very well own this), but I’m blanking. Guitarist sounds like a cross between Farlow and Raney, but more like Tal. The pianist has that Eddie Costa/Claude Williamson kind of rhythmic feel

18- Knew I had this as soon as I heard the opening. Recognized the bassist as the leader, from a BN quintet (BN 1564). Tune is by Benny Golson.

Fun stuff. Hopefully I can figure out a few more.

Thanks Bill!

BFT 29

Thanks Bill – this is definitely a bassocentric blindfold test and I’m totally enjoying it.

Tr 1 - “Bull Fiddle Blues” by Johnny Dodds washboard Band. Johnny was the

first guy to tip me on this one and then Natty Dominique’s vibrato put me in mind of him. I thought the piano was Jelly like but not up to Jelly Roll. Turns out to be Charlie Alexander . Bill Johnson starts to kick it about half way through. Shows “slap bass” was a happenin’ thing even back then.. Burnin’ side !

Tr 2 – I’m thinking early Ellington on this one (and the associated cast) , so I’m speculating Wellman Braud on Bass. In any event , these guys are no slouches ! Good technique all around. The Alto, Trumpet and Bone all sound great, and I think Ellingtonesque.

Tr 3 – Into the swing era. Small band stuff. John Kirby?

Tr 4 – Basie. Lester is in there. As always – terrific.

Tr 5 – Relatively recent recording of “Peg Of My Heart”. Nice Bixian Cornet and a Bass sax. Nice. Some guesses – Dick Sudhalter and Vince Giordano ?

Tr 6 – Ahhh…SLAM ! Always great ! Is that Tatum? I’m thinking Tatum or possible Johhny Guarnieri and Cozy Cole on drums.

Tr 7 – “What Am I Here For”. Very nice, but don’t know who.

Tr 8 – THE MAESTRO with Jimmy Blanton. Well, this is superb. “Sophisticated Lady.”

Tr 9 – A stride master and a classic tenor player. The type of thing that really pisses me off when I can’t ID it. ;) . I know I’ll slap my forehead when I hear who it is.

Tr 10 – Good, but don’t know who.

Tr 11 – HAH . Well I guess a lot of us id’d this one (before the announcement at the end) – probably most of us have this, but for the record , it’s “Night In Tunisia” from the Birdland.date with Blakey, Horace, Brownie, Lou Donaldson, and Curly Russell. Wonderful.

Tr 12 – “Nice Work. ” Monk from “Genius of Modern Music”

Tr 13 - Puts me in the mind of Miles, ala Green Haze or something along those lines.

Tr 14 – Two trumpets – very nice, but can’t id it.

Tr 15 - Nice piano trio doing Whirlybird.

Tr 16 thru 19 all sound great. Wish I knew who they were.

Bill, Thanks again. There’s not one dud amongst these tracks and it’s going to be nice to find out who everyone

Edited by Harold_Z

1. I recognized Johnny Dodds right away. From the sound quality I assumed that this was one of his Victor sides (earlier recordings for other labels are not as clean). Given the bass theme on this BFT, I’m gonna say “Bull Fiddle Blues”. Johnny Lindsay on bass?

2. This sounds like King Oliver’s band, recording for Vocalion 1926 or 27. Joe Oliver (trumpet), Omer Simeon (clarinet), can’t name the alto or bass.

3. John Kirby Sextet – Charlie Shavers (tp), Buster Bailey (cl), Russell Procope (as), Billy Kyle (p), John Kirby (b), O’Neil Spencer (d). I had this track on an old Harmony LP many years ago, can’t name it.

4. Early Basie on Decca, Prez on tenor. I’m not good with titles.

5. Here’s something of more recent vintage, in stereo. Don’t recognize any of the musicians – one of them sounds like he may be playing a C-melody sax. The trumpet (cornet?) recalls the Bix/Red Nichols “cool” style.

6. As soon as Slam Stewart came in, he was unmistakeable. Pianist Johnny Guarnieri? A mid-40’s Savoy side?

7. Duke Ellington’s “What Am I Here For?”. The bassist has got intonation problems – Ron Carter? :huh:

8. The bowed bass threw me off at first, but Duke’s piano is so unmistakeable. Duke Ellington & Jimmy Blanton – “Sophisticated Lady”

9. Basie-like piano, a tenor who has heard Prez, but I don’t think it’s either one of them. Jerry Jerome?

10. Oscar Pettiford, I think. Possibly from the session with Terry Gibbs, Serge Chaloff. “Facin’ the Bass”, maybe?

11. Art Blakey – A Night at Birdland” on Blue Note. Clifford Brown (tp), Lou Donaldson (alto – possibly his finest hour!), Horace, Curley Russell. A classic!

12. Listening to Thelonious is always nice work, if you can get it!

13. A slow blues featuring Miles’ lovely open horn. Percy Heath, Art Blakey. This is one of those things thay made up on the spot – “Blue Haze”? This is an aspect of Miles’ style that is rarely discussed. His St Louis roots and his affinity for fellow hometowners Clark Terry & Shorty Baker are really on display here.

14. Two trumpets – can’t get a handle on either of them. The tune has a dixieland feel, but the trumpeters seem a little more modern. The first guy has a lovely tone, the second guy sounds like he’s playing with a hat. After the piano & bass solos, it sounds like the hat has been removed. Possibly Shorty Baker & Doc Cheatham?

15. An early bop side, taken from a noisy 78. Can this be early Bags? Reminiscent of some of his work with Dizzy. A nice trumpet player, tenor might be James Moody, I’m not sure. A fleet pianist, a nice solo.

16. An innocuous beginning, and then out of nowhere they hit the accelorator. The pianist has got chops, and when he goes into the octaves thing, I was reminded of Phineas Newborn, but this pianist seems to be a showoff without the soul and blues feel that permeates so much of Phineas’ playing. My guess is the Ray Brown Trio with Benny Green. :tdown

17. The tune is “Snooty Little Cutie” a hit for Tommy Dorsey with Frank Sinatra in the 40’s. Is that a mellophone? Might this be Don Elliott? Jimmy Raney on guitar?

18. Paul Chambers on bass, I believe. If this is one of his Blue Notes, that would be Clifford Jordan on tenor. I recall that Art Farmer was on the session with Jordan, and I’m not sure I’m hearing Art here, so I’ll give up right now.

19. I’m pretty sure that the pianist is Mal Waldron. Eric Dolphy on flute? The vibist sounds like Bobby Hutcherson, can’t place the trumpet, although I should be able to!

A nice selection of tunes – looking forward to disc 2!!! :party::party:

Insomnia strikes, so it's time to post, I guess. Would've liked a chance to listen a time or two w/o distractions, but carpe diem and all that.

The usual thanks and disclaimers are firmly in place as well.

TRACK ONE - Trumpet puts me in mind of Joe Oliver, but I'm nowheres near sharp enough on this era to make even a semi-educated guess. Pianist has a tempo of his own, eh? I dig the clarinetist, good spirit. Good stuff, and the bass was recorded really well.

TRACK TWO - Almost sounds like cartoon music, literally, not in the associative way. Some pretty funny stuff, in a good way, and not too far removed from a Spike Jones type of surrealism, especially in the breaks. Don't know how well a whole lot of this would go with me, but this one cut was good for some unforced grins.

TRACK THREE - John Kirby? Think that's Procope on alto. His sound never changed over the years. Shavers & Buster Bailey? Billy Kyle? Yeah, these cats could play. Very musical group, slick in the very best way.

TRACK FOUR - Hey. What is there to say? It don't get no better.

TRACK FIVE - "Peg O' My Heart". Some problems here...If it's some old folks, their better days were behind them. If it's some younger cats doing a revival thing, well, other than the trumpet, they get enough of it right to make it sound almost all right. But almost ain't good enough. Tenor player...more problems...I almost think that this is a put-on. I hope so.

TRACK SIX - Tatum & Slam, right? Don't know the particular title, but waht difference does it make? That's some serious playing by, jack, and by all concerned! Who's the drummer? The way he solos almost sounds like Max via Big Sid. YEAH!

TRACK SEVEN - A question we all ask ourselves at one time or another... Seems to be fromTHIS. The miking/recording is a little problematic for me, it magnifies some of the tone but not all of it, and geez, with cats like this, I wanna hear the WHOLE sound. Plus, it makes little pitch irregularities jump out more than they really should. But hey, it's The Judge, a Beautiful Soul if ever there was one, so no problems in the end.

TRACK EIGHT - The archetype. The bowing ain't "perfect", but good lord, who else was playing the instrument like this back then? And the pizzacato! That's still the tone I like to hear out of a jazz bass no matter what the "style". So full, so soulful, so BASS. His life was short on this plane, but he's still alive and somewhat well wherever there's a good bass player.

TRACK NINE - I missed Jug on Marty's BFT, damned if I'll do it on this one! Father & Son. Da' bomb! Works for me! Just AMGed enough to find the title (and to make the bomb joke), so I don't know who the rest of the broup is, but they be in the pocket.

TRACK TEN - Pettiford featured w/a Hampton group? No idea. But no problems. Facile enough to be early Mingus, but I don't hear his tone, which he had from the git-go. Nice charting on the intro and outro. Curious to find out what this one is.

TRACK ELEVEN - No curiosity here! As Perry Como used to say, "Magic Momnets"! The longer I listen to these sides, the deeper into Horace's comp I get, especially for his own solos. And dig Dillon! Just laying it down right where it needs to be, the wheels of the car, to borrow a Willie Mitchell expression. Probably the last thing a listener would get to, but the first thing a player will feel whilst in the act.

TRACK TWELVE - I dunno, I been trying and still ain't got much of it...Another classic. I like Monk's trio sides on BN more than the ones w/horns, usually. A clearer expression, all things considered. And more of a chance to hear the interior details, of which there are many here, all delightful and long-lasting.

TRACK THIRTEEN - Blue. Not green, and definitely not purple. And not Isaac either. Not anybody's best work by any stretch of the imagination, but I believe I've heard that this is the one that started the vogue for having slow(er) blues begin w/unaccompanied walking bass. So there's some lasting value right there. That and the fact that's it's just plain good, even if it's not great. And as a document of the evolution of Miles Davis, as well as a warm-up for the blunter bluesiness of about 6 weeks later, it's invaluable.

TRACK FOURTEEN - No idea. Nice enough tune, but... If we're playing geographic tag, I could maybe hear Clark Terry in there. The solos reach me a helluva lot more than does the arrangement, which is just too cute for me.

TRACK FIFTEEN - Sounds like an offshoot of the Herd. Chubby Jackson on bass, I think. Gibbs? It's got kinda a Columbia studio sound to it. Candoli? No idea on tenor, he's kinda scuffling, but just kinda. This kind of thing came through loud and clear at the time, I'm sure.

TRACK SIXTEEN - "Whirlybird"? Very Peterson-esque. Well played, but not the kind of thing that reaches me. The work/reward ratio is unfavorable, at least for me.

TRACK SEVENTEEN - No idea. Mulligan-esque composing meets Tristano-esque rhythm section. Pianist is VERY subtly off-center. One tune of this is ok, but...No idea.

TRACK EIGHTEEN - Well, that's Elvin. Hell yeah. Tenor is very Dexterish, at least on the various headphones/speakers I've listened on (none of which are reliable...). Bass is bowed PC, I think. Pitch issues, yes, but they got better over time. Wait a minute...I have this side, a BN Conn. That's Clifford on tenor. Wow. Never heard that much Dexter in him before. Haven't listened to it much, though. Guess I should.

TRACK NINETEEN - The tune's kinda Dolphy-esque, but the flautist makes me think of Yusef. Vibes are curious. That's Thad, I'm pretty sure. He had his own thing big time. Mal Waldron on piano, almost has to be. THIS one I gotta get, very much digging it!

As for the theme, there's definitely some sort of "tag" going on between cuts, be it geographical, familial, or employmnetal. Can't put it all together...

Anyway, pretty groovy stuff for the most part. Thanks, Bill, and on to Disc Two!

On #14... I meant to say the "Candoli" brothers, not "Condoli". Probably just as wrong even if I've got the spelling corrected. :)

#17... been listening further, and the guitarist's sound is reminding me of Howard Roberts. Too bad his solo is so short, or I might be more certain. I'm wondering if this is a valve trombonist... and if I'm right about Roberts, maybe it's Stu Williamson or Bob Enevoldsen? Still can't recognize the pianist... or the song.

TRACK NINETEEN - The tune's kinda Dolphy-esque, but the flautist makes me think of Yusef. Vibes are curious. That's Thad, I'm pretty sure. He had his own thing big time. Mal Waldron on piano, almost has to be. THIS one I gotta get, very much digging it!

My first thought was Yusef for the flute, but after I decided it was Mal on piano, I figured it had to be Dolphy. Still wondering.

Thanks, Bill, for these carefully selected discs - I thoroughly enjoyed listening to them.

No checking with my collection or elsewhere this time, just my thoughts while listening.

Track 1: Great track, very nice that it has a bass chorus (that's what I actually expected from this BFT ...). My knowledge of this era of jazz is limited, so let me just say I find this is an excellent piece of music. Does he play with a bow in the first two chorusses? Even greater, the feeling and swing he has with the bow. The great Pops Foster?

Track 2: Another bass feature .... A great bass player on each track? As I said, that's what I expected. Orchestra bells - great! Good soprano sax, too. Very good arrangement. Jimmie Lunceford would be a wild guess.

Track 3: More great swing music. This reminds me of the stuff John Kirby did - same instrumentation - what a big sound for three horns: trumpet, alto sax and clarinet! There should be a better transfer of this.

Track 4: Basie with Prez was my first thought, but I'm not familiar enough with their earlier work together - a big gap in my collection! On second thought this does not quite have the looseness I associate with Pres, and a slightly bigger tone, so it could be somebody else ...

Track 5: Bass sax! No idea who it is, but judging from the recorded sound this is 1970' or 80's. Nice, but, musically, not quite on the level of the previous tracks. Nice trumpet, warm tone - could well be some younger generation swing emulators as well as well aged veterans. No idea who the bass player is.

Track 6: Slam Stewart! A dozen ************ for Slam, always! Is this from the Savoys recorded under Johnny Guarnieri's leadership - I have them, but didn't check.

Track 7: "What am I here for". This way of recording the bass with a pick up obscures the sound of the instrument and the touch of the player, two of the most important components of a bassists playing, making it much more difficult to identify them, as in track 5. You can only recognize them by phrasing and choice of notes. And, not having to play as loudly any longer, many older players changed their attack completely. Can't tell who this is, but I tend towards a pre-bop stylist. He has some of the same intonation problems as Ron Carter, but none of the characteristic licks are here. An older player than Carter.

Track 8: "Sophisticated Lady". Should be the Duke and Jimmy Blanton. Way beyond its time.

Track 9: Forceful swing of the highest degree, heavily boogie inflected type. A bassist with great drive. Now that's Pres!!! I probably have this somewhere, at least I hope so! I should burn me a CD with all those Kansas City sessions.

Track 10: Oscar Pettiford was my first, second and third thought ..... Mingus the fourth one. Take your choice.

Track 11: Without checking: Art Blakey with Curly Russell, Horace Silver, Lou Donaldson, and Clifford Brown at Birdland, February 21, 1954, the very day I was born! (Only several hours earlier, of course, 4:50 CET.) "A night in Tunisia", of course. History was made that day! :g

Track 12: Nice Monk if you can get it - well I have it. Blakey again and Gene Ramey. Very interesting to hear how well these Kansas City style bassists with their rubber band sound fit so well into Monk's music - John Simmons is another example. Fantastic - I almost wore out the first LP with this I had (the Blue Note reissue series twofer).

Track 13: Bassic Blues ..... I know that one .... Miles with Blakey, Horace Silver and Percy Heath? Miles quotes Bird's solo from that famous blues on Savoy when he starts soloing, the one King Pleasure wrote words to ... Classic blues, that is.

Track 14: Is Ruby Braff one the trumpets? What a great player! Both are great .... Very elegant pianist! And guitarist! Wonder who they are. I faintly remember some Paris session with two trumpets - Jimmy Gourley? Excellent bassist! Pettiford school.

Track 15: As mad as they are, I guess Terry Gibbs and Chubby Jackson .... Shorty Rogers in there as well? The tenor player has a hard time keeping the pace ... That track hits the middle between swing and bop precisely.

Track 16: Another "mainstream" recording - that's what we called this in the 1980's. A "Whirlybird" that's takes its time before it spreads its wings and flies, but then ..... Phineas Newborn? Or Peterson? The drummer's style is not what Phineas would have preferred, and I don't know Oscar that well.

Track 17: Sounds like valve trombone. Or a bass trumpet? Not sure. Guitarist sounds familiar.

Brookmeyer and Jim Hall or Raney?

Track 18: I have that one somewhere ..... should be Paul Chambers. That slightly laconic tenor could be Clifford Jordan. Elvin in the background? Some Prestige all stars affair? Yes that's Elvin! That brassy tenor could be Donald Byrd ....

Track 19: That's the Teddy Charles composition he also used on the "Dakar" LP he produced for Prestige with Coltrane, Pepper Adams, and Cecil Payne, but this is the other occasion he reocrded it. Mal Waldron comping unmistakeably. Another Prestige all stars? Charles is a very interesting musician. From the big sound I hear Doug Watkins handling the bass strings - I like him even better than Chambers. I could look this one up, but ..... I will do this one without external memory .....

Some challenging choices, and choice bass playing on each and every track! Thanks much! Will write up my disc two guesses tomorrow.

p.s. edited for misspelling of names and a miscoded smiley :g

Edited by mikeweil

I've been trying to hold my comments until all CDs have been recieved. However, with only one outstanding I'm going to break my silence.

I'm impressed at the number of correct answers. I'm amused by some of the wrong ones.

The cat is out of the bag as far as the theme goes (its was obvious to many before the discs were mailed). Its all about bassists.

The bassists were selected before the tracks. Many great bassists were cut because a 4-disc BFT (I suspect) would have been frowned upon. One track was selected for its historical significance. Others because they were little known (I thought) sessions by that bassist. Yet others because I liked them.

More later.

Bill

17. The tune is “Snooty Little Cutie” a hit for Tommy Dorsey with Frank Sinatra in the 40’s. Is that a mellophone? Might this be Don Elliott? Jimmy Raney on guitar?

Somehow I missed this the first time I went back to read this thread. Interesting... the title doesn't ring any bells, but I was sure I'd recognize it when I read it. Maybe one of those cases of having a song seem familiar when it actually isn't.

I don't think it's Raney, but then I've been fooled plenty of times on these BFT's...

I had some tracking problems with the disk skipping through some parts and the track index not being fully functional, but I managed to hear most of it anyway, so here goes

een: nice old fun stuff. not a clue as to the players, but this is friendly and spreads good vibes. that bassist is slapping hard!

twee: big broad grinning smile and rolling eyes betty boop music. more fun and more good vibes and more of that slapping it around.

drie: very nice smooth swinging tune with a lot of restraint and decency. very well suited for dances and for listens. these guys are smoking pillars, but their dinner jackets hide it all. which is not necessarily a bad thing really.

vier: typical kind of swing with an unmistakeable rhythm and w/ Prez to boot (or is it Evans? nah)

vijf: heheheh. pretty recent recording with lots of grins and funniness. fits with a doopey face and silly dance steps with the knees bend. good trumpet.

zes. caffeine! Slam on bass. Pianist may be Tatum, but then again it's a bit tame for him. unless he only had tea for breakfizz.

zeven: nice and easy, no clue, no guesses.

acht: that's Duke with Blanton, right? admittedly, it was Duke I recognised... absolutely fantastic bass playing

negen: klengelengelengkleng with tasty tenor recorded in the hallway behind the kitchen. strange balance on this recording, plus it keeps skipping ...

tien: dunno, some plucks remind me of Mingus, some certainly not. sounds like Hamp at the door. let him in!

elf: Lou! Bu! with Curley, Horace and GOD on trumpet live at Birdland. Donaldson is on FIRE here, Clifford burns down the house. Horace does his patented theme weaving. Amazing stuff.

twaalf: and it doesn't stop for here we have the high priest on the ivories tickling them till they laugh his funny tales.

dertien: ah, it's Slime! drip, drip. some of his stuff I can actually stand ;)

veertien: nice trumpet stuffs. second horn sounds like the notes are sucked instead of blown. what device is this? the theme is a bit silly, but let's just like it because of that.

vijftien: early bop with plenty of swing. the ice seems a bit too slippery for the tenor. the bass walks like one of those mad and fast walking guys at the olympics with the shaking hips, cool sunglasses and foaming mouths.

zestien: some spiffy playing here, but it leaves me a bit chilly, sounds too much like it is supposed to sound somehow.

zeventien: nice piano! this valve trombone? nice light tune that didn't grab me much, but ey.

achttien: PC and a great tenor. Who dis? Byrd on trumpet, ja? Good stuff if turning a deaf ear on PC's pitch.

negentien: oy! this is great! what is this? pity the guy at the door is humming louder than the door creaks. trumpet sounds like Thad Jones.

not sure if I can fit in a listen to the second disk, which I only gave a cursory listen thus far, but thanks a bunch for this disk one, it was a great ride!