Happy Birthday Marion Brown

clifford_thornton

Happy birthday, Mr. Brown. Thanks for all of the wonderful music you've played. You've made many of us very happy.

Goes for me too.

Yes, me too. :party:

One of my most memorable New Year's Eve celebrations was staying home to watch Marion Brown play on the local PBS station -- back in the early '80s.

A little late, but I'm a big fan of Marion Brown (one of my favorite altos). "Three for Shepp" is an all time favorite of mine. While I'd love to see him out and about again, he's already given more than enough... I just wish more of his old material would get reissued. Damn it, Impulse (although I'm pretty sure most of it was reissued--in excellent fidelity--in Japan some while ago).

Not too late - it'd be nice to keep this thread going. It would be nice to see the Jean Toomer suite collected and issued in a box format or something, but it's spread across two-and-a-half Impulse records and some others (one, I think, on Freelance IIRC).

He is hoping to record in the near future, so it gives us Marion-ophiles something to look forward to.

As for his early recordings, ESP-Disk has reissued his first "Marion Brown Quartet" in super audio sound with an extra track, I believe "Why Not?" is forthcoming in the not-too-distant future.