black saint/soul note

Guest donald petersen

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A top ten list of Black Saint/Soul Note that leaves out Marcello Melis' 'The New Village on the Left' cannot be taken very seriously :o

Might be forgivable, given that the list was complied in 1995 and the disc was released in 1997.

It may be news to you :o:o but before music was available on CDs (and probably before you came to this world!), there were those objects called vinyls. Wonderful objects!

My vinyl copy of 'The New Vilage on the Left' dates from 1977. I have loved this album since that time!

:g

Edited by brownie

A top ten list of Black Saint/Soul Note that leaves out Marcello Melis' 'The New Village on the Left' cannot be taken very seriously :o

Might be forgivable, given that the list was complied in 1995 and the disc was released in 1997.

It may be news to you :o:o but before music was available on CDs (and probably before you came to this world!), there were those objects called vinyls. Wonderful objects!

My vinyl copy of 'The New Vilage on the Left' dates from 1977. I have loved this album since that time!

Hmm... well... I can only redress my shameful mistake by ordering The New Vilage on the Left immidiately (never heard (of) Melis).

Hmm... well... I can only redress my shameful mistake by ordering The New Vilage on the Left immidiately (never heard (of) Melis).

:tup

Well, I have a number of the albums from that list, but nowhere near enough. I think I picked most of them up when DMG was running a sale. I have one, not mentioned so far, which I enjoy but wouldn't call essential -- Stephane Furic's Crossing Brooklyn Ferry. It is a hybrid jazz/classical (more classical than jazz) which is a reworking of/response to Copland's Appalachian Spring (and drawing on Whitman too of course).

Most of mine are on vinyl. Don't have the Melis, but I swear I saw a vinyl copy a little while back at an oddball used book/record store in my neighborhood. If it's still there, I'll snag it.

I listened to the other Melis one today - 'Free to Dance'. What a line-up: Lester Bowie, Enrico Rava, George Lewis, Gary Valente, Don Pullen, Melis, Fred Hopkins, Don Moye, Sheila Jordan and Jeanne Lee. I loved this when I first heard it, and still enjoy it, but think that maybe with a cast like that, Melis could have done a little more? I dunno...Nice record all the same!

I just got a copy of Max Roach/Anthony Braxton: Birth and Rebirth. It's just stunning. I'd never before heard this duo in action, but I've always been a fan of both... the fascinating thing is that neither sacrifices his personal idiosyncrasies--there's no real compromise. Braxton is as ferocious as ever, and Roach swings with his inimitable fury. There are moments of power, promise, rage, and tenderness--all consummately performed. I have some gripes with the sound (CD)--Braxton sounds a little metallic at times, and Roach is occasionally distant. But the music is just beautiful, top drawer as far as sax/drum duos go.

I just got a copy of Max Roach/Anthony Braxton: Birth and Rebirth. It's just stunning. I'd never before heard this duo in action, but I've always been a fan of both... the fascinating thing is that neither sacrifices his personal idiosyncrasies--there's no real compromise. Braxton is as ferocious as ever, and Roach swings with his inimitable fury. There are moments of power, promise, rage, and tenderness--all consummately performed. I have some gripes with the sound (CD)--Braxton sounds a little metallic at times, and Roach is occasionally distant. But the music is just beautiful, top drawer as far as sax/drum duos go.

Great one, even though it seems to me Roach and Braxton do not interact with each other that much here.

Great one, even though it seems to me Roach and Braxton do not interact with each other that much here.

FMP (from my perspective :) ) , lack of interaction characterises too much of Roach's work. Max is an amazing drummer but "iffy" partner.

Perhaps, although I found some interesting pieces of dialogue with close listening... I did notice that it takes an immense amount of prodding to break Max out of a certain groove (even here)--he doesn't "follow" the sax like, say, Rashied Ali does on Interstellar Space. Regardless, I think the two play emphatically enough to prevent this one from sounding like a "staid"/cold duo album.