How much for a decent turntable?

ASNL77

I am not familiar with US prices, but you can't go wrong with Pro-Ject and Rega, maybe it worths to listen at the new Thorens too. I presume you are not an HIFI freak like me, but I would check some used TT, at least in Italy you can find brand new used TT at decent prices. One thing you definitely have to do is to place the TT on a solid vibration free stand, I mean that you don't have to to buy some ludicrous priced hi tech stand, but you have to find a good place to 'place' the TT. I use a big block of stone I found in my sister's house when she did some mural works.

turntabling can b finicky (but fun) \ a local music media retailer has several used tables for as cheap as $50 (ancient AR manual w/std arm & Ortofon cartridge needing stylus) through $175 (B&O w/new cartridge) \ if yer serious about it though - Rega, Linn, VPI are all outstanding marques to research into \ a good used Rega P3 w/new Grado cartridge can likely be had for ~$350 in a metropolitan area (i.e. Chi-town, Philly, NYC) \ remember: less is more! \

my first notes to any forum :w

I must admit when the Project player came out...I kicked myself that I got rid of my lps...well ever so gently ...just ofr a bit.

Both the cheap and recent posher version were really nice audio players

Get the Project...its sustainable and there is lots of choice whether you get this one

http://www.hifistore.co.uk/product.php?qsProd=DEBUTMK3

or what about this one

http://www.hifistore.co.uk/product.php?qsProd=RPM4

Gorge or what?!

Well they are UK prices I know...sorry :blink:

Thanks for the UK prices Andy! That's where I am! ;) . I am thinking of going either with Rega or Project. Is there a significant difference between the Rega Planar 2 and 3 in terms of sound quality?

Thanks to you all for your input.

Edited by ASNL77

turntabling can b finicky (but fun) \ a local music media retailer has several used tables for as cheap as $50 (ancient AR manual w/std arm & Ortofon cartridge needing stylus) through $175 (B&O w/new cartridge) \ if yer serious about it though - Rega, Linn, VPI are all outstanding marques to research into \ a good used Rega P3 w/new Grado cartridge can likely be had for ~$350 in a metropolitan area (i.e. Chi-town, Philly, NYC) \ remember: less is more! \

my first notes to any forum  :w

Welcome to the party! :party:

Thanks for the UK prices Andy! That's where I am! ;) . I am thinking of going either with Rega or Project. Is there a significant difference between the Rega Planar 2 and 3 in terms of sound quality?

Thanks to you all for your input.

No problem

I think you can get them at Richer sounds and superfi people

Certainly seem to give the rega a run for their money which is no bad thing

I remember the entry level one got really excellent reviews in what hi fi so if you go for that you will not be disappointed.....mind you the other one does look nice and I am sure you could get it for cheaper then that too!

Let me know if you need any help sourcing that and I will point you in the right direction

( well as long as you buy me one too and get all my old lps back!) :crazy:

Andy

by the way here is there UK distributor sitte for even Moooooooooore choice

http://www.henleydesigns.co.uk/products-f-project.htm

and I just love the one made out of pear wood......maybe that is all because I love perry!

anyway enjoy the site as there is loads of info and downloads for each of their products

I looked at Project as well as Rega and concluded that the Rega was a long term better bet in terms of build ( Project balance mechanism looks very delicate).

Rega's money goes into a great tone arm and decent motor. No whistles and certain no bells. I avoided the P2 as the fibre board platter concerned me.

I think the P2 is £200 and the P3 £300 with cartridge extra. Denon do a very good but inexpensive MC one for £70 which is very good value. At a later date if you're so inclined the P2 or P3 can be upgraded by rewiring the tone arm (£120) ( I've not done this yet)

Rega

Edited by Clunky

Thanks again Andy! Yes  Richer sounds should do the job. The Rega Planar 2 or 3 do not appear to be in their brochure though. They only sell the Project Debut III. Do you know if they take order for other products?

In my experience no......but it is always worth asking

Superfi or the others also do a good range

The problem is with richer sounds is they do good deals but only on the ranges they can get hold of at cheap prices

Give em a ring...always in the week in the morning ...when the kids are not around and have a chat.....but also look at other traders who stock em

it depends where you are really but regas dealers are here: http://www.rega.co.uk/index2.htm

Henley designs may supply ( project) direct...best ask using link given early on

I think I will go either for the Rega Planar 3 or the Project RPM24. I managed to convince my partner that we need a turntable and that £300 was the right amount to spend to buy something decent. It's now in the bag but it will be for Xmas as she is convinced we need to change the ......oven NOW!!! :bad: I won't ask for your help on that one but if somebody has the Project RMP24 and can tell me more about it, don't hesitate.

Edited by ASNL77

unless you tell her to wait for the january sales........ :D

They can never resist it........meanwhile you mop up on the turntabel front

I know what you mean though.....yet this is a thing of beauty nonetheless and one that would mean you never have to buy anything ever again :P

or

Cookers are very bad for the environment......think of all that heat

Your ( sorry use 'our' new turntable will help you hang on to the old vinyl thence Saving the Envionment

or

A new cooker is a great ideal ( sorry I am Bristolian!) and you know of people who have got one at work and they cook much more food now.....in fact a little too much as they have piled on the weight.

or

insert witty ideas that will do no good ad nauseum