Whatever Happened to Rick Ballard Imports?

RDK

Looking through some old LPs last weekend and a few import CDs, I had a flash of nostalgia upon seeing that silver, rounded rectangular "Distributed by Rick Ballard Imports" sticker. But a Google search came up empty. Whatever became of Rick and what was his story anyway? Seems the sort of arcane jazz distribution question that's right up this board's alley... :P

I don't know the whole story in terms of the changes that have taken place with his import business, but Rick moved from the waterfront area (Rick Ballard Imports) years (10-15?) ago, and opened "Grooveyard" on Telegraph. I haven't been back up there since, but apparently he moved to Claremont some time ago. A great guy to do business with.

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=10182

Saw Rick not long ago. Great guy. Really. Seems that he's combined his business (Grooveyard) with Berigan's, though I don't know this for sure. Seems like I picked up a few clues, but, right now, I couldn't even tell you what they were! So anyway, check out Berigan's on Claremont.

Of course (as I'm sure you know), Rick and Berigan were together at the old shop west of the freeway, so it's good to hear that. I have fond memories of their periodic vintage LP consignment sales at that shop. Berigan always seemed like a pretty cool guy too, BTW.

I bought quite a few LP's from Serro in the 80's also. In terms of imports, though, when I think of Ballard I think of euro imports- especially Steeplechase. Bought a TON of those from Rick, whose prices for new or used were always reasonable. Come to think of it, I even bought a couple of used Mosaic sets from Rick, for very, very good prices.

Berigan's store was/is pretty small, without much extra space... I wonder if he expanded the shop...? Of course, Grooveyard on Telegraph was even smaller...

• 16 years later...

This is a big "up" - I am wondering what happened to Rick Ballard?  I visited his Oakland store as recently as 2015, but cannot find a web presence.  I always enjoyed speaking with him over the years at his store(s).

Edited by Eric