Worst 32 jazz cover

This ought to be fun: let's hear your nominations for the worst 32jazz cover. :g

Lots of strong candidates here. These covers are so awful that they must have hurt sales. I remember having to talk a friend who is new to jazz into buying Woody Shaw's "Little Red's Fantasy." I had to tell him to ignore the awful cheap looking cover, that the cd is terrific.

I hate the Grant Green, "Iron city." Such a depressing picture that it seems to carry over into the music. Of course, it doesn't but it's all psychological.

The worst of all, however, is Sonny Criss, "Crisscraft." That boat looks like it came out of a beginner's computer graphics course. Turn it over and you've got these waves with music notes dancing over them. Really pathetic! These covers are so bad you feel ashamed to show them to your friends who don't normally listen to jazz. Here you are trying to put on something good for them. They like it then ask who it is. You bring out the cd cover and...oh my! :huh::excited::tdown:g

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where can one find pictures of the 32Jazz reissues?

One good thing about the packaging (cover and awful black plastic box) is that these CDs sell very cheaply at second hand stores. Most shop owners think that these are low price reissues.

Edited by Claude

Where can one find pictures of the 32Jazz reissues?

One good thing about the packaging (cover and awful black plastic box) is that these CDs sell very cheaply at second hand stores. Most shop owners think that these are low price reissues.

I dunno, but if anyone can find them it would be you, Claude. I am just going on the stuff from my own collection.

Hope you can locate some pics. That would be fun! :g

I remember there was a particularly awful cover on a Sonny Stitt session, but I don't remember what it was. It looked like the outline of a body or something with a comicbook type of yellow or red filling in the picture. It was so awful it scared me off the disc.

It's true, I can't help it but sometimes these covers shy me off the cd. I know there shouldn't be a connection but there is this psychological thing.... :ph34r:

I found some. I leave the description to you :)

B000005BER.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B000044U3L.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B000005BE7.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

B000006PVI.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Claude,

That Criss cover was so bad that I got rid of the cd. Didn't care for the session either, but I'm sure I was poisoned/mesmerized by that awful cover. Looks like mold. The cd smelled like it had been stored in a basement corner as well. That musty appearance affected the look and smell. Sonny Criss should sue! :g

I remember there was a particularly awful cover on a Sonny Stitt session, but I don't remember what it was. It looked like the outline of a body or something with a comicbook type of yellow or red filling in the picture. It was so awful it scared me off the disc.

It's true, I can't help it but sometimes these covers shy me off the cd. I know there shouldn't be a connection but there is this psychological thing.... :ph34r:

B00000AEQK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

ouch!

d11474r9b8o.jpg

While all the above are certainly awful, I always found this picture of Sonny to be bizarre and disturbing. It looks like it was taken during an argument with a club owner who refused to pay...

or continuing one of his alto battles into the after-session hours. :g

Edited by connoisseur series500

I remember there was a particularly awful cover on a Sonny Stitt session, but I don't remember what it was.  It looked like the outline of a body or something with a comicbook type of yellow or red filling in the picture.  It was so awful it scared me off the disc.

It's true, I can't help it but sometimes these covers shy me off the cd.  I know there shouldn't be a connection but there is this psychological thing.... :ph34r:

B00000AEQK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

ouch!

There it is!! Thanks Ubu.

Looks like they cut-and-pasted all those boxer faces on that cover.

Nowhere else is there such a shocking example of great time expenditure yielding so little! :blink:

B00000I04U.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B000006C5N.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00000DGYV.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00001SIAN.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00000IXSX.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Now ain't these nice for a change?

:w

ubu :party:

They shoulda just contracted their cover art out to Vogue magazine and gave the graphics director another job. On the other hand, the mind that was capable of coming up with these artistic concepts....is a mind best being placed in quarantine somewhere. :g

TF003CD.jpg

I know it's not on 32jazz, but I always thought this album cover and title were most uncreative. Get it?? Danger High Voltage? With the box and wires and stuff? :rolleyes: And I like Tenderly, but I don't consider that to be high voltage music.

TF003CD.jpg

I know it's not on 32jazz, but I always thought this album cover and title were most uncreative. Get it?? Danger High Voltage? With the box and wires and stuff? :rolleyes:  And I like Tenderly, but I don't consider that to be high voltage music.

This one sent me into a fit of giggles. Excellent example, Joe. :g Coleman looks like a reluctant participant in the dubious affair.

Edited by connoisseur series500