Shelly Manne - Son of Gunn!!

GA Russell

In '92 I purchased Shelly Manne's album The West Coast Sound. It appears to be a collection of 78s recorded in three sessons in '53 and '55. It's a good album, and I probably haven't listened to it as much as I should.

Shelly Manne hasn't been on my to-buy list over the years. However, the many good things I've read here about the Black Hawk volumes prompted me to buy At The Black Hawk Volume 1 during J&R's OJC sale in June. I've enjoyed that album as well, so now I have his newly re-issued Son of Gunn!! Shelly Manne & His Men Play More Music From Peter Gunn.

In 1959 the group consisted of Joe Gordon on trumpet, Richie Kamuca on tenor, Russ Freeman on piano and Monty Budwig on bass. Son of Gunn!! was recorded in May, with Victor Feldman added on vibes and marimba. The Black Hawk gig was recorded in September, with Feldman temporarily replacing Freeman on piano.

Son of Gunn!! is a sequel to another Manne recording of Peter Gunn songs, recorded by his previous lineup.

The album is nothing like Henry Mancini's two Peter Gunn albums. They had a special mood to them which I haven't heard anywhere else.

Son of Gunn!! is a hard swiniging album by a West Coast jazz sextet, undoubtedly more like what you would have heard at a real life Mother's.

For those familiar with the Mancini albums, the tunes are barely recognizable. Although Son of Gunn!! was obviously recorded to capitalize on the popularity of the TV show and the Mancini albums, it was not in any way meant to imitate. The album stands or falls on its own merits.

It's a good album. Not essential, but a lot of good blowing here. I'm surprised Fantasy waited this long to put it out on CD.

What makes the album unique is Victor Feldman's marimba. I don't have another jazz album with that instrument, and it provides a different mood than the vibraharp.

Most of the spotlight goes to Gordon and Kamuca, who were at the time new members of the group.

I can recommend this one to those of you who enjoy the Black Hawk albums, and West Coast jazz in general.

Can anyone recommend any other Shelly Manne albums?

Check out Shelly Manne and His Men - Yesterdays- on Pablo (PACD-5318-2).

It's got the same cast, Kamuca, Gordon, etc. and if you liked Son of a Gunn, which I haven't gotten yet, you should like this. Any date with Richie can't be bad. They're live performances recorded in Zurich and Copenhagen when the group was on Norman Granz' J.A.T.P. They record mostly standards but it's a good pick up.

Edited by Brad

Always happy to recommend Shelly Manne albums!

The live sets from the Blackhawk and the Manne-hole are among my favorite jazz albums. "Checkmate", with some little known John Williams numbers (written for an otherwise forgotten TV show) is also quite good. All these are Contemporary/OJCs.

Of course, from my avatar you know I'm also going to recommend "2-3-4" on impulse, which features Shelly with Coleman Hawkins and Hank Jones.

Always happy to recommend Shelly Manne albums!

The live sets from the Blackhawk and the Manne-hole are among my favorite jazz albums.  "Checkmate", with some little known John Williams numbers (written for an otherwise forgotten TV show) is also quite good.  All these are Contemporary/OJCs.

Don't forget the live album "Boss sounds" which was recorded for ATLANTIC. An awful cover but great music!

His Contemporary stuff is excellent indeed! :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

If you haven't already done so, I would strongly recommend that you pick up the other 4 Black Hawk volumes. I happen to be running through these again this weekend and--as you probably can tell from volume 1--the playing and the sound are just extraordinary. They're not redundant at all, and easily sustain one's interest throughout all 5 discs. Many of the tracks run well in excess of 10 minutes as the guys really get a chance to stretch out. A couple of the tracks approach 20 minutes ("Vamp's Blues" on Vol. 2--19:49, "Black Hawk Blues" on Vol. 3--18:12). The 2 Manne-Hole discs are also good: similar to the Black Hawk recordings and just a notch below, but still well worth getting.

If you want to hear Shelly with a bit more space around him, I'd recommend the "and his Friends" trio dates (including "My Fair Lady"), and the several "Poll Winners" recordings with Barney Kessel and Ray Brown.

Of course, from my avatar you know I'm also going to recommend "2-3-4" on impulse, which features Shelly with Coleman Hawkins and Hank Jones.

I second the recommendation of 2-3-4, which features some great latter-day Hawk, plus two trio tracks with Eddie Costa in addition to the Hawkins and Jones quartet tracks.

Edited by Kalo

I second the recommendation of 2-3-4, which features some great latter-day Hawk, plus two trio tracks with Eddie Costa in addition to the Hawkins and Jones quartet tracks.

But currently OOP, if I'm not mistaken. :(

As a sideman, too, he was superb.  For instance, Manne's drumming on Rollins's Way Out West album is highly recommended.

Absolutely, and don't forget this one for more great Shelly Manne.....

f71378kb541.jpg

Sonny Rollins and the Contemporary Leaders

You've got to love that Rollins stuff on Contemporary... and Manne is one of the reasons.

As a sideman, too, he was superb.  For instance, Manne's drumming on Rollins's Way Out West album is highly recommended.

f71378kb541.jpg

You've got to love that Rollins stuff on Contemporary... and Manne is one of the reasons.

I think I love the alternate takes even more.

f71378kb541.jpg

I think I love the alternate takes even more.

The Alternate of "I'm an Old Cowhand" is in contention for my favorite Rollins performance ever. Talk about "thematic improvisation"!

Edited by Kalo

• 2 years later...

I need a west coast jazz fix (must be the subzero temps outside). Any love for these two Peter Gunn CDs? Does one session stand above the other? Sound samples sound enticing, but I've been a little hesitant about these in the past, thinking they might just be 'play the themes and collect the check' sessions. Cool covers.

Shelly-Manne-Shelly-Manne--His-384778.jpg

manne_shell_shellyman_102b.jpg

I have and very much like both these albums (I should say here that I'm a Shelly Manne fan), but for me the second one, Son Of Gunn, is the magic one. One of those albums where each track is a distinct pleasure. On one level it's very much in a 'light and fun' vein, but there's real musicianship involved and I've found it a very rewarding album. The group may be having a good time, but they create real atmosphere.

I have the first one, and also Manne's take on the film "Gunn Number One," but the second of the three has eluded me.

I generally like these albums, though I don't think "The Brothers Go to Mothers" works at all as a ballad.

I really love Shelly Manne's "Daktari" album on Atlantic. This is available on CD and LP, and is a great slice of contortionist jazz exotica.

I don't think "The Brothers Go to Mothers" works at all as a ballad.

You've just reminded me of Henry Mancini's version, which was on the B side of "Peter Gunn theme"; must have been about the first time I heard Plas Johnson (or was that Ernie Freeman's "Night sounds"?).

This is giving me a yen to get some Mancini. Which was the Mancini LP with "Green onions" on it?

MG

I'm ordering the son, thanks for the feedback. Good to hear the music stands on its own. The association with the tv series--which is fun, I rented the DVDs a couple of years ago while on a Raymond Chandler kick--is a bonus. As is the cool cover.

Don't give up yet on "Play Peter Gunn!!" It has Victor Feldman playing some nice vibes--and MARIMBA (as does "Son")! And of course it has the original Peter Gunn theme (which "Son" does not). Check out the samples and review here:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:wxfpxqwgldje

If I were you, I'd get both of them (which I did). :rolleyes:

Edited by Ron S

I have both Henry Mancini Peter Gunn albums. I think the first one is a masterpiece, the second not as good. I have the second Shelly Manne, which contains the same songs as the second Mancini.

The Mancini and the Manne create entirely different moods. The albums are not similar at all, despite the presence of the same songs.

I enjoy all of my Shelly Manne albums very much except Yesterdays, which was released a few years ago. I opened up At the Blackhawk Vol. 2 just last week, and have been playing the heck out of it.

I've been meaning to pick up the first Manne Gunn album, but haven't yet. Maybe the next Concord blowout.

Anyway, another thumb up for Son of Gunn.

Edited by GA Russell