Albert Ayler ESP box set?

reg

I found this on the Ayler site http://ayler0.tripod.com/ from October last year

More news from Magnet

The 9 page Ayler article in the current issue of Magnet magazine, ‘Spirits, Ghosts, Witches & Devils’ by Mitch Myers, includes the following paragraph:

“ESP has plans for its own Ayler boxed set, which should be out by the end of the year. Though many details are still unconfirmed, the release will compile Ayler’s ESP catalog and material from his first two tours of Europe. As if to underscore the resurgence of the man’s music, a documentary called Spirits Rejoice: The Life And Legacy Of Albert Ayler will be released in 2005. The film not only researches Ayler’s life but also profiles other members of the free-jazz scene, then and now.”

There are currently two Ayler films in production, one in the States and one in Sweden - I have a feeling this is the American one. As for the ESP box, I guess we have to keep watching the skies.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Chaney

This from the ESP site:

Known Bootlegs:

The following products are bootlegs. They are NOT, as claimed, the complete ESP-DISK' recordings, and they are not authorized by ESP-DISK'. They contain outmoded and technically inferior versions of certain of these works.

Authentic, digitally remastered verrsions of these recordings are available on ESP-DISK'. NOTHING IS, for example, contains over 20 minutes of previously unreleased material.

ESP-DISK' is taking appropriate legal action to protect its proprietary rights and those of its artists. Thank you for your support.

With kind regards,

ESP

* Albert Ayler - The Complete ESP-Disk' Recordings

(esp1, Barcode: 646315820226, Distributors: Koch, Runt)

* Sun Ra - The Complete ESP-Disk' Recordings

(esp2, Barcode: 646315820225, Distributors: Koch, Runt)

* Albert Ayler - Slug's Saloon

(Fruit Tree 841, Barcode: 8013252384127, Distributor: City Hall)

* Albert Ayler - Complete Live at Slug's Saloon

(Lone Hill 10101, Barcode: 8436019581018)

This from the ESP site:

Known Bootlegs:

The following products are bootlegs. They are NOT, as claimed, the complete ESP-DISK' recordings, and they are not authorized by ESP-DISK'. They contain outmoded and technically inferior versions of certain of these works.

Authentic, digitally remastered verrsions of these recordings are available on ESP-DISK'. NOTHING IS, for example, contains over 20 minutes of previously unreleased material.

ESP-DISK' is taking appropriate legal action to protect its proprietary rights and those of its artists. Thank you for your support.

With kind regards,

ESP

* Albert Ayler - The Complete ESP-Disk' Recordings

(esp1, Barcode: 646315820226, Distributors: Koch, Runt)   

* Sun Ra - The Complete ESP-Disk' Recordings

(esp2, Barcode: 646315820225, Distributors: Koch, Runt)

* Albert Ayler - Slug's Saloon

(Fruit Tree 841, Barcode: 8013252384127, Distributor: City Hall)

* Albert Ayler - Complete Live at Slug's Saloon

(Lone Hill 10101, Barcode: 8436019581018)

Good to hear they're taking legal action. Practices like these should be halted in my opinion.

• 2 months later...

Slugs is on its own as a 2CD on ESP, remastered and quite clean!

I'll have to look for that, I have an Italian 2cd import, and the sound is anything but quite clean.

Wouldn't it easily fit on one disc?

Ye$, it doe$, but who know$ why they $ell two cd$ in$tead of one. :w

Edited by Matthew

Actually, the music on the two discs comes to something like 79:40, so it would barely fit on one disc. All things considered, I'd much rather have it on two discs and pay the extra money than to have one super-long 80 minute disc.

Edited by David Jones

I'm wondering if they used different tape sources for the Brown sessions - the extra track, "Mephistopheles," is way more full and in-yr-face than the rest of the disc. Strange, because as I understand it, "Capricorn Moon," "27 Cooper Square," and "Mephistopheles" were recorded at one session and "Exhibition" at another.

I'm wondering if they used different tape sources for the Brown sessions - the extra track, "Mephistopheles," is way more full and in-yr-face than the rest of the disc. Strange, because as I understand it, "Capricorn Moon," "27 Cooper Square," and "Mephistopheles" were recorded at one session and "Exhibition" at another.

What's the best place to get the Marion Brown set? I don't see it on Amazon at all. I just ordered the Sonny Simmons from Caiman through Amazon, will replace the two single CD's I have from that set. I only have 'Why Not' from Brown, not the quartet. I had it on vinyl in a previous lifetime when I was in college.