Albert Ayler ESP box set?

reg

• 3 months later...

Bring this up for air. Anyone have any thoughts on this set now that it's out? Sound quality? Booklet? Thinking of getting this soon (CD Universe, of course!).

on the edit: Is this box set legit? I saw it a Tower Records in Seattle recently.

Edited by Matthew

Bring this up for air. Anyone have any thoughts on this set now that it's out? Sound quality? Booklet? Thinking of getting this soon (CD Universe, of course!).

on the edit: Is this box set legit? I saw it a Tower Records in Seattle recently.

I don't whether to get this either. So I probably won't.

Pass. Sounds like the Abraxas, which ain't legit. From what I understand, it's just four CDs crammed into a box, nothing special and nothing extra. There were rumours of a real ESP box set at some point.

ESP has been slowly reissuing its catalogue in better sound, some with extras (though Spiritual Unity is without the bonus track).

Pass. Sounds like the Abraxas, which ain't legit. From what I understand, it's just four CDs crammed into a box, nothing special and nothing extra. There were rumours of a real ESP box set at some point.

ESP has been slowly reissuing its catalogue in better sound, some with extras (though Spiritual Unity is without the bonus track).

If it is the four-CD's-crammed-into-a-box thing, then it is certainly not endorsed by the present ESP auspices--Abraxas (etc.) lost all support the minute the Stollman operation started up again. I'd hold off--especially because it looks ridiculously slapdash (I mean, if you can buy all this stuff cheaper in singles, what's the point? A box?).

On the Slug's set--just how clean are we talking (w/respect to previous issues)? The 1st Slug's volume was my first Ayler--hardly anything else has the same magic.