***Joe Henderson***

Templejazz

Finally, I see that the Palo Alto date with Mal Waldron, David Friesen and Billy Higgins -- ONE ENTRANCE, MANY EXITS -- is about to be reissued on CD. Opinions?

Yeah - it's about freakin' time. That side KILLS!

And hope that as a bonus cut they include the version of "The Christmas song" that was only released on MISTLETOE MAGIC, the Palo Alto Christmas album. Don't ask what else is on it... :g:g:g

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I could voice one reservation or even regret about Joe's Verve output it's that, with the notable exception of SO NEAR SO FAR, he was often surrounded on those dates by either much younger, much more callow players (Stephen Scott, Christian McBride, audibly in awe of / supplication to him, or by "professionals" who are in the business of being proficient, sympathetic and versatile (Hancock, DeJohnette), sometimes too much so. So that some of that sparring excitement that is always present on the best (IMHO) Joe Henderson recordings -- best to to even try and talk about his live performances here -- is missing. You can hear what I'm talking about on INNER URGE and OUR THING, on PTAH THE EL-DAOUD, on UNITY, on CAPE VERDEAN BLUES, on THE REAL MCCOY, on BLACK FIRE, on RELAXIN' AT CAMARILLO, and, I think, on this record, one of the finest from Joe's final (sigh) decade:

c403427gk7p.jpg

Norris' harmonic sensibility is just what Henderson needs to really spin off some intricate, intelligent, swinging, totally compelling solos.

I totally agree with you! I saw him live many times as he was on tour in Germany every year before his Verve contract. His live performances had a certain sameness to them, as he would rather rely on familiar standard material with familiar chord changes with pick up rhythm sections and used only few of his own compositions. Even the "feminist quartet" with Renee Rosnes and Sylvia Cuenca - I forgot the name of the bassist - was no exception to this. After the Strayhorn CD he stated in an interview you couldn't play that with a pick up group, you'd have to rehearse that stuff. As great an improvisor that he was, I was more thrilled by most of the studio projects because of the challenge the good sideman effected and the always differing contexts the producers thought up.

A sideman date I like very much that wasn't mentioned so far is Charles Earland's "Leaving This Planet", available on a Fantasy twofer CD, inspired solos by Earland, Henderson, Freddie Hubbard and Eddie Henderson, Harvey Mason heats up the rhythm section on a few cuts.

earlan_char_leavingth_101b.jpg

marlene rosenberg is the bassist you're thinking of. i own a copy of punjab, a live recording from 1986 on the arco label featuring this quartet. although the sound is wanting, the performance is quite good. it's funny, for a while i dismissed early henderson as "another coltrane wanna-be." ah, the misguided ideas of youth! :rolleyes: now i've come to appreciate his art at all its different stages. i'm glad i got the chance to see henderson live with charlie haden and al foster. it will remain one of my favorite jazz memories.

We've had several threads about Joe Henderson, but so far no one has mentioned his composing skills. To me, he is one of the greatest underrated composers of hard bop. Off the top of my head, here's a quick list of beautiful hard bop standards:

Mamacita,

Recorda Me,

Step Lightly,

Shade of Jade,

Black Narcissus

Not to mention many of his great compositions on "Inner Urge," "Mode for Joe," and "Page One."

We've had several threads about Joe Henderson, but so far no one has mentioned his composing skills. To me, he is one of the greatest underrated composers of hard bop. Off the top of my head, here's a quick list of beautiful hard bop standards:

Mamacita,

Recorda Me,

Step Lightly,

Shade of Jade,

Black Narcissus

Not to mention many of his great compositions on "Inner Urge," "Mode for Joe," and "Page One."

YES!! 'Isotope' comes to mind as well. I went back to the local store here and picked up Power to the People. I think the version of 'Black Narcissus' on here is the original and having never heard it before, I was pleasantly surprised.

BTW this album is great. Herbie, Ron and Jack are in the zone, and the title track is something else.

We've had several threads about Joe Henderson, but so far no one has mentioned his composing skills.  To me, he is one of the greatest underrated composers of hard bop.

Y Todavia la Quiero

Edited by Joe

Joe Henderson was involved in the cooperative band The Jazz Communicators that

was launched in 1967. Freddie Hubbard and Louis Hayes were also in the band.

Does anyone know if there is there any recorded legacy of these Communicators?

I understand it was a great unit which survived for several months before it had

to disband.

Can anybody comment on this? AMG doesn't really give them favorable reviews.

d547799rvrk.jpg

I have it and like it just fine, though it isn't a favorite. "Terra Firma" is the stand-out track, IMO.

I only have this and Mode For Joe as far as Joe Henderson-lead discs go. I reach for Mode For Joe first.

I think the AMG reviews are fairly accurate, in terms of their description of the albums. "In Pursuit of Blackness" is probably the better of the two, but I wouldn't have panned "Black Is the Color" quite as harshly as the AMG did.

IMHO, "In Pursuit of Blackness/Black Is the Color" is a much more logical pairing on one CD, than their previous pairing of "Tetragon/In Pursuit of Blackness".

Frankly, I'd dive in and get the whole Milestones box-set, most of which is fairly outstanding (is that a mixed message?).

1967 The Kicker - Milestone/OJC

1967 - Tetragon - Milestone/OJC

1969 - Power to the People - Milestone

1970 - If You're Not Part of the Problem.... - Milestone

1970 - In Pursuit of Blackness - Milestone

1970 - Live at the Lighthouse - Milestone

1971 - Joe Henderson in Japan - Milestone/OJC

1972 - Black Is the Color - Milestone

1973 - Multiple - Original Jazz

1973 - The Elements - Milestone

1973 - Canyon Lady - Milestone/OJC

1974 - Black Narcissus - Milestone

1975 - Black Miracle - Milestone

Of those listed above, I'd give half of them 4 or 5 stars (out of 5), and the rest only 3 or 3.5 stars. But it's all Joe, and it's all good - in my opinion.

I'd probably give "In Pursuit of Blackness" 3.5 stars, and "Black Is the Color" 3 stars.

I only have this and Mode For Joe as far as Joe Henderson-lead discs go. I reach for Mode For Joe first.

:o You need more my friend. I picked up the OJC/Milestone disc Joe Henderson in Japan. The version of 'Round Midnight is sparkling. The last track Junk Blues is a burner as well.

In 'n Out on BN is great too. Gotta love the duo of Kenny and Joe.

I should add that "Power to the People" is one of my all-time favorite Joe Henderson albums.

Why the flip it hasn't been released domestically (in the U.S.) by the OJC folks is beyond me. It's Joe's all-time best 'electric-period' album, by far, period. (Desert-island-disc material, if you ask me.)

I should add that "Power to the People" is one of my all-time favorite Joe Henderson albums.

Why the flip it hasn't been released domestically (in the U.S.) by the OJC folks is beyond me.  It's Joe's all-time best 'electric-period' album, by far, period.  (Desert-island-disc material, if you ask me.)

I picked this up a couple weeks ago in a tan foldout slipcase. A reissue done by a company called Universe, I think(?) Cheap too, only $14.99. Is this widely available, or am I lucky to have found it?

Either way I stumbled across a gem. The title track is a beaut as is 'Black Narcissus'

Edited by Templejazz

:o You need more my friend. I picked up the OJC/Milestone disc Joe Henderson in Japan. The version of 'Round Midnight is sparkling. The last track Junk Blues is a burner as well.

Thanks for the suggestions, Templejazz. Joe is definitely high on my exceptionally long list of musicians I need more by. ;)

I picked up "Power To The People" on CD a couple weeks ago in a tan foldout slipcase.  A reissue done by a company called Universal, I think(?)  Is this widely available, or am I lucky to have found it?

I am vaguely aware of this release, but I've never seen one except on-line (then again, I could say that about 5,000 other titles). My understanding is that it is an import (non-U.S.) reissue of some sort, and I want to say that it's from Italy or something like that.

hender_joe~_powertoth_101b.jpg

They have it at Dusty Goove now, and describe it like this...

1. Joe Henderson -- Power To The People . . . CD . . . $13.99 (Item: 50852)

Milestone/Universe (Italy), 1969 Condition: New Copy

One of the best, and certainly the rarest, of the Joe Henderson electric sides from the early 70s! The record features Joe hitting a wonderful warm spiritual vibe -- playing with an excellent group that features Herbie Hancock on electric piano, Ron Carter on bass, and Jack DeJohnette on drums -- plus additional trumpet by Mike Lawrence on 2 tracks. Tracks are long and flowing -- with a mode that's a perfect bridge between Joe's Blue Note work, and the spiritual soul jazz sound of the 70s! Titles include "Black Narcissus", "Isotope", "Afro-Centric", and "Power to The People". (Issued in a cool 5" gatefold cover!)

I should mention that I'm no fan of the 'mini-LP' format for CD's, which this appears to be. At least the price is pretty decent for an import. But what I want is for Fantasy to release this in a jewel-box, and have it be 'in stock' in Joe Henderson bins all around the country. IMHO, it is Joe's best Milestone album, and one of Joe's top-5 albums of his entire output (under his own leadership).

When I'm asked what are my favorite Joe Henderson albums, I almost always say "Mode For Joe", and "Power To The People".

I picked up "Power To The People" on CD a couple weeks ago in a tan foldout slipcase.  A reissue done by a company called Universal, I think(?)   Is this widely available, or am I lucky to have found it?

I am vaguely aware of this release, but I've never seen one except on-line (then again, I could say that about 5,000 other titles). My understanding is that it is an import (non-U.S.) reissue of some sort, and I want to say that it's from Italy or something like that.

hender_joe~_powertoth_101b.jpg

They have it at Dusty Goove now, and describe it like this...

1. Joe Henderson -- Power To The People . . . CD . . . $13.99 (Item: 50852)

Milestone/Universe (Italy), 1969 Condition: New Copy

One of the best, and certainly the rarest, of the Joe Henderson electric sides from the early 70s! The record features Joe hitting a wonderful warm spiritual vibe -- playing with an excellent group that features Herbie Hancock on electric piano, Ron Carter on bass, and Jack DeJohnette on drums -- plus additional trumpet by Mike Lawrence on 2 tracks. Tracks are long and flowing -- with a mode that's a perfect bridge between Joe's Blue Note work, and the spiritual soul jazz sound of the 70s! Titles include "Black Narcissus", "Isotope", "Afro-Centric", and "Power to The People". (Issued in a cool 5" gatefold cover!)

I should mention that I'm no fan of the 'mini-LP' format for CD's, which this appears to be. At least the price is pretty decent for an import. But what I want is for Fantasy to release this in a jewel-box, and have it be 'in stock' in Joe Henderson bins all around the country. IMHO, it is Joe's best Milestone album, and one of Joe's top-5 albums of his entire output (under his own leadership).

When I'm asked what are my favorite Joe Henderson albums, I almost always say "Mode For Joe", and "Power To The People".

I saw this at Borders just the other day.

Thanks for the suggestions, Templejazz. Joe is definitely high on my exceptionally long list of musicians I need more by. ;)

Downloaded The Kicker and Tetragon last night, they await my ears at home. I'm going to get the other available albums tonight after I burn these two. :tup

Heard this Chick Corea album from 1981 for the first time yesterday. Mighty fine Joe to be found here.

f33592t3334.jpg

In fact, it's cool to hear Joe in such a challenging context (post-1975), yet on tunes that aren't his own. Whether you like Chick a lot (or not), this is a great album to get just for Joe's contribution - and the whole band is pretty tight too.

What other of Joe's sideman appearances (after say 1970), really stand out as being top-drawer performances??

Thanks for the heads up, Jim.  I just ordered a copy.

Hey Conn500 - I'll be curious to hear what you think of this one. I borrowed it from a friend years ago, and at least at that time I thought it was a pretty 'out' date, probably one of the most 'out' things Joe's ever recorded - actually. For some reason or another, I never did pick it up myself - probably just too expensive when I did see it, which wasn't ever that often.

If you find you don't care for it, I'd be happy to provide it a happy and caring home... ...if ya know what I mean. ;)

Edited by Rooster_Ties