Albert Ayler: New Grass

ep1str0phy

I haven't bought today's new reissue, because I have had for years a Japanese K2 cd that sounds pretty darned good.

I like this session, it's a lot of fun, has some incredible tenor on it, has some absolutely ridiculous material on it and some serious as your life moments. . . . I've become a fan of all the music of Ayler's I've ever heard, there's a surprising amount of difference from one end of the body of work to the other, but I find it all so very moving and stimulating. I feel and think listening to this music. . . I'm alive.

I'm interested in hearing what others think of this too. . . .

You know, half the time I get the impression that Trevor MacLaren doesn't know what he's doing. Sure, he's well intentioned and all...

New Grass is a new spin for me. I love Ayler madly, enough to divine the "purpose" in his missteps. That being said, the album is more or less what I expected--strange, schizophrenic, and just a little unsettling. Part of what makes Ayler so difficult is the depth of his sincerity, a force that seems to transcend whatever idiom he's playing in. There's just so much pathos--bathos?--to that sound that it's difficult not to take Ayler as serious as a heart attack. I agree with the others--this isn't his best work (my favorite is Vibrations)--but it certainly isn't dross. Every album is like a tome, and the entirety of the Ayler catalogue is some beautiful terror.

Yeah, I thought it was interesting in that it's one of the few reviews I have seen which doesn't seem to imply that Impulse made Ayler go this different route. . . . I've always seen it as a response to Mary Maria's importance to his life at the time. . . .

I've been listening to this one for years. . . it grows on me more and more. . . Cobbs and Purdie and that BASS. . . and that horn playing. . . they get under my skin.

Yeah, I have had the LP twice and sold it twice. I love Ayler, but this to me - sincere or not - seems pretty 'off.' As Larry Neal said of this record in the Cricket: "I know what the Brother is trying to do, but his procedure is fucked up." Too true.

And stereojack: looking forward to that Scianni LP!

Guest akanalog

kudos to the people of verve and their families for actually beginning to reissue some more stuff a guy like me might want to hear (this ayler, the szabo, upcoming michael white, upcoming gato etc....)