Abbey Lincoln - Straight Ahead (Candid)

bertrand

As I was putting together my Booker Little playlist on my iPod, I realized that I own most of his sessions! One I'm missing is Abbey Lincoln's Straight Ahead on Candid. Is this mostly a feature for Abbey, or does Booker get prominent solo space (as well as the other musicians)?

Also, is We Insist! slated for CD reissue anytime soon? I only have a Columbia vinyl.

Thanks,

Bertrand.

Bought the Lincoln tonight with a Borders coupon. The Roach seems elusive, however. This is the only Candid CD which I always have trouble finding.

By the way, a minor comment for the Abbey Lincoln discography: 'Freedom Day' is the same composition as 'Liberte' from Parisian Sketches.

Bertrand.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, a couple more Booker Little/Abbey Lincoln questions:

1. My mother scared up a copy of We Insist in Paris for me (this particular Candid title, unlike the others, is not available in the U.S.) - it is CCD 79002 discussed above. Is this remastered from vinyl? Sure sounds like it. I hear pops galore. Also, the text resolution on the back cover is sloppy. What's that all about? Fantastic music, in any case.

2. I also got Newport Rebels with the Booker Little track 'Cliff Walk'. Both Mike's Pete LaRoca discography and the link below state that this is the same composition as 'Looking Ahead' from Victory And Sorrow, but I don't hear that. Maybe the connection is subtle, or perhaps it is closer to another tune from that album - I will investigate. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

http://adale.org/Discographies/Booker.html

Edited by bertrand

These tunes are also listed as equivalent in the composition list appendix to Keith Waters and David Diamond's article "Out Front: The Art of Booker Little" in Annual Review of Jazz Studies 11.

However, I'm pretty sure that I got the information when I translated Jonathan Kutler's discography of Don Friedman into the database. At that point I don't think I owned Newport Rebels, but I now have a copy (where exactly, is the question) and should be able to listen.

Do you have the deposits?

Mike

These tunes are also listed as equivalent in the composition list appendix to Keith Waters and David Diamond's article "Out Front: The Art of Booker Little" in Annual Review of Jazz Studies 11.

However, I'm pretty sure that I got the information when I translated Jonathan Kutler's discography of Don Friedman into the database. At that point I don't think I owned Newport Rebels, but I now have a copy (where exactly, is the question) and should be able to listen.

Do you have the deposits?

Mike

Well not the same tune though there are 2 motifs in "Cliff Walk" used in "Looking Ahead". I'm assuming "Looking Ahead" is later but it would even be a stretch to call "Looking Ahead" a more finely tuned version of "Cliff Walk". There's a lot of writing in "Cliff Walk" that's not on "Looking Ahead".

Bertand,

If you're trying to be a completist (which I am with Booker) your greatest difficulty might be getting everything from "Out Front", you need to get "Candid Dolphy" for two alternate takes and an older Japanese version of "Out Front" for another alternate.

David,

I did hear some similarities between the two compositions, but I wouldn't call them the same. Your description sounds about right, but I've only listened to 'Cliff Walk' once so far. Great track - the two drummers really make this special.

I am trying to load the entire Booker Little discography into my iPod. I am using the discography listed above as my reference point, although I am not trying to track down the private tapes (at least for now :))

I am missing:

1. The Bill Henderson stuff.

2. 6 alternates from the Strozier date which were on the Mosaic set but not my Vee-Jay CD from the early 90s.

3. The alternate of 'Strength And Sanity' from the Japanese CD (I have the Candid Dolphy, but in a stupid Prevue pressing, which I bought under the mistaken impression the other was OOP).

4. 'Stardust' from the Teddy Charles date. This one is not on the Fresh Sound CD, but is on some other CD (Lonehill or something). Why did Jordi leave it out?

Items 3 and 4 will be the most elusive.

Tragic that the output of such a genius can be stored in a gig or so on an iPod.

Mike,

I'm 99% sure I have the booklet below in the collection at LoC. Interesting that both tunes were copyrighted in the same booklet. I'll dig it up next time I'm there. Was this originally owned by one of Gryce's companies?

Bertrand.

1. Registration Number: RE-457-508

Title: Booker's blues. Victory and sorrow. Cliff walk. Looking

ahead. By Booker Little.

In: Modern melody booklet

Claimant: LaRue C. Little-Colon ©

Effective Registration Date: 29Dec89

Original Registration Date: 25Jan61;

Original Registration Number: EU655414.

Original Class: E

Cross Reference: cLaRue C. Little- Colon. SEE LaRue C. Little-Colon.

Edited by bertrand

David,

I did hear some similarities between the two compositions, but I wouldn't call them the same.  Your description sounds about right, but I've only listened to 'Cliff Walk' once so far.  Great track - the two drummers really make this special.

I am trying to load the entire Booker Little discography into my iPod.  I am using the discography listed above as my reference point, although I am not trying to track down the private tapes (at least for now :))

I am missing:

1. The Bill Henderson stuff.

2. 6 alternates from the Strozier date which were on the Mosaic set but not my Vee-Jay CD from the early 90s.

3. The alternate of 'Strength And Sanity' from the Japanese CD (I have the Candid Dolphy, but in a stupid Prevue pressing, which I bought under the mistaken impression the other was OOP).

4. 'Stardust' from the Teddy Charles date.  This one is not on the Fresh Sound CD, but is on some other CD (Lonehill or something).  Why did Jordi leave it out?

Items 3 and 4 will be the most elusive.

Tragic that the output of such a genius can be stored in a gig or so on an iPod.

Mike,

I'm 99% sure I have the booklet below in the collection at LoC.  Interesting that both tunes were copyrighted in the same booklet.  I'll dig it up next time I'm there.  Was this originally owned by one of Gryce's companies?

Bertrand.

1. Registration Number:    RE-457-508 

Title:    Booker's blues. Victory and sorrow. Cliff walk. Looking

ahead. By Booker Little.

In:    Modern melody booklet

Claimant:    LaRue C. Little-Colon ©

Effective Registration Date:    29Dec89

Original Registration Date:    25Jan61;

Original Registration Number:    EU655414.

Original Class:    E

Cross Reference:    cLaRue C. Little- Colon. SEE LaRue C. Little-Colon.

Thought I should have mentioned the Henderson before as I suspected that was one of the one's you would have questions about. I don't know if the CD have bonus tracks as most Vee Jays do but on the LP Booker solos on only one track, a single chorus of G blues on "This Little Girl of Mine".

I have the Japanese version of Out Front with the "Strength and Sanity" alternate. Got lucky and found it in a used CD shop in Osaka.

I have the Teddy Charles date on a Fresh Sound LP. I thought even the LP had an extra track on it. I have no idea why Jordi left Stardust off the CD, I have no idea about anything Jordi does anymore. It doesn't seem like it was for space considerations. You're not missing much though, Booker plays part of the head but doesn't solo.

Get the Strozier stuff, I thought I had it on a single CD before the box came out so you can probably find it somewhere.

Edited by david weiss

I have the Strozier single CD, I'm just missing 6 alternates.

I'm kind of sorry I didn't get the Kelly Mosaic, but I only have so much money.

Lon, do you have We Insist on CD?  Can you tell if it was remastered from vinyl?

Bertrand.

I think the strozier with the bonus tracks is also a single CD at least one version (the Koch) the Japanese version is a 2 CD set I believe