Turn outhe stars

I picked up this excellent late Bill Evans set from amazon.co.uk but it's even cheaper I found out later if you get it from amazon.fr

they have it for only £40 , which is excellent value

the music is pretty good too although i am only through one of the 6 discs

recommended

any one else know this release

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the two Milestone 8CD-sets, Consecration and The Last Waltz, even better. These contain Bill Evans' last recordings: the complete sets he played with Marc Johnson and Joe LaBarbera at San Francisco's Keystone Korner, about two weeks before his death in September 1980, and the music's absolutely brilliant.

I managed to get the Japanese 20-bit Digital K2 remastered sets, and they sound wonderful.

Guest Chaney

I've ordered The Last Waltz set from Mr. Tanno and I can't wait to get me hands (ears?) on it. (Apparently not a set that Mr. T keeps in stock as I've waited a little over a week to hear that he can even get the set for me. I have few doubts that he'll come through though.)

• 3 years later...

I like the two Milestone 8CD-sets, Consecration and The Last Waltz, even better. These contain Bill Evans' last recordings: the complete sets he played with Marc Johnson and Joe LaBarbera at San Francisco's Keystone Korner, about two weeks before his death in September 1980, and the music's absolutely brilliant.

I managed to get the Japanese 20-bit Digital K2 remastered sets, and they sound wonderful.

I saw the K2 version of "Consecration" today, but at $230, it seemed like a rip-off. I see that HMV Japan has a Japanese "Consecration" pressing for about $140. Is this the K2 set? Are all Japanese pressings K2 remastered?

I saw the K2 version of "Consecration" today, but at $230, it seemed like a rip-off. I see that HMV Japan has a Japanese "Consecration" pressing for about $140. Is this the K2 set? Are all Japanese pressings K2 remastered?

I thought that the JPN 'Consecration' K2 set was packaged in the white box.....but since Hans has it, he'll be able to clue us in.

a0009618_1958941.jpg

I thought that the JPN 'Consecration' K2 set was packaged in the white box.....but since Hans has it, he'll be able to clue us in.

If memory serves, I'm pretty sure that Hans conducted an A/B comparison of the K2 and non-K2 versions of both the "Consecration" and "Last Waltz" boxes about a year ago, and concluded that he actually preferred the sound of the non-K2 versions (leading to his selling the K2 boxes). Of course, if I'm wrong, I hope Hans will correct me. :w

Does anyone know if the Turn Out The Stars cd set is actually still in print? It has been on my list for a while and this thread prompted me to check its availability again. There didn't seem to be any on ebay (!), cduniverse was back-ordered and amazon seemed to only have a couple of marketplace copies. True Blue had it but when I emailed to check they said they only had one in stock (and if that was true they don't have any now :blush: )

It may be just a temporary shortage but it might be worth bearing in mind if you come across a copy.

Turn Out The Stars is OOP. Not even listed on the WB jazz site. Collectors Choice has copies of it on sale; that's where I bought my copy two weeks ago. The box sets Complete Verve Recordings, Complete Fantasy, Last Waltz, Consecration, Consecration part II are also OOP. I'd say get these by the end of the year to avoid a major cash drain, if you can.

Edited by Matthew

Turn Out The Stars is OOP. Not even listed on the WB jazz site. Collectors Choice has copies of it on sale; that's where I bought my copy two weeks ago. The box sets Complete Verve Recordings, Complete Fantasy, Last Waltz, Consecration, Consecration part II are also OOP. I'd say get these by the end of the year to avoid a major cash drain, if you can.

Wish you'd not told me about Collectors choice! I suppose of there is one place I don't mind overpaying it is with True Blue/Mosaic.

For what it is worth True Blue also have the Complete Riverside in the last chance category.

Are you sure about Last Waltz and Consecration? It seems like they're available on most of the websites I've checked. I'd prefer to not have to spend the money right now, but I will if I "have to." :rolleyes:

Are you sure about Last Waltz and Consecration? It seems like they're available on most of the websites I've checked. I'd prefer to not have to spend the money right now, but I will if I "have to." :rolleyes:

Both are no longer on the Concord site (whether that means anything at this point, I don't know), as for me and my house, I plan on getting all the box sets by the end of the year.

Both are no longer on the Concord site (whether that means anything at this point, I don't know), as for me and my house, I plan on getting all the box sets by the end of the year.

They're both still on the Concord site--under "Bill Evans TRIO" (and not just "Bill Evans"). :wacko:

By the way, what's "Consecration part II"? :huh: Unless you mean "The Last Waltz" part II, which is sorta what "Consecration" is.

They're both still on the Concord site--under "Bill Evans TRIO" (and not just "Bill Evans"). :wacko:

By the way, what's "Consecration part II"? :huh: Unless you mean "The Last Waltz" part II, which is sorta what "Consecration" is.

Your right, it is Last Waltz, I was just copying off of Amazon, and for some reason, the have Last Waltz as Final Recordings part 2. My bad for not noticing that. :blush:

Your right, it is Last Waltz, I was just copying off of Amazon, and for some reason, the have Last Waltz as Final Recordings part 2. My bad for not noticing that. :blush:

Just don't let it happen again, or we'll have to send Jackson to your house to repossess that Coltrane Prestige box. <_<

Wow, they're all OOP? I got Turn Out from French Amazon two years ago or so at a pretty nice prize... can't remember, but must have been around 40€.

For the rusting along Verve I payed a lot, though (Barnes & Noble was where I got it from, about two years ago, too).

Both last Fantasy boxes have been available from 2001 half a year ago, no idea if they're still there...

Anyone knows about the status of "Secret Sessions"? That's the one Evans box I still miss... French & German Amazon list it for 90 something euros - pretty steep for 8 CDs. Also German Amazon has 4-6 weeks or something that makes me think it could be on the endangered list, too (French has 6-12 days).

Anyone knows about the status of "Secret Sessions"? That's the one Evans box I still miss... French & German Amazon list it for 90 something euros - pretty steep for 8 CDs. Also German Amazon has 4-6 weeks or something that makes me think it could be on the endangered list, too (French has 6-12 days).

Secret Sessions is still listed HERE, in fact, it's at a nice sale price. If it wasn't for the Concord sale, I would be buying it.

Wow, they're all OOP? I got Turn Out from French Amazon two years ago or so at a pretty nice prize... can't remember, but must have been around 40€.

For the rusting along Verve I payed a lot, though (Barnes & Noble was where I got it from, about two years ago, too).

Both last Fantasy boxes have been available from 2001 half a year ago, no idea if they're still there...

Flurin, only "Turn Out the Stars" and the Verve box appear to be OOP. "Last Waltz", "Consecration", and "Secret Sessions" are still in print. I was going to tell you about the sale price on the Concord site (although I don't think they ship overseas), but Matthew beat me to it. :rolleyes:

Thanks Ron. I guess that 80 euro in the end beats 90 $ plus tons of shipping costs, plus I'd need someone to buy it for me etc., so I guess 80 euros is just fine. There will be an added 10-15 for customs, I'm afraid, but that would be the same if I get it from the US, I'm afraid...

I'm glad I have the two you just mentioned, Matthew - not that I'm listening to any Evans right now (I know you're in an Evans period...), but it's great that I was able to get them for a good prize at the zweitausendeins sale... maybe I should just wait for the Secret Sessions to appear there, too... will likely cancel my order, it's too much money to spend right now for me... :(