Gene Shaw Argo LPs

kh1958

I noticed that dustygroove.com has two of Gene Shaw's Argo Lps for sale. They're both good ones that don't turn up very often. Breakthrough was recorded on October 11, 1962 and features Sherman Morrison on tenor sax, James Taylor on piano, Sidney Robinson on bass, and Barnard Martin on drums. This LP has some really great tracks (Autumn Walk, Six Bits, the Thing, and It's a Long Way are my favorites). There has not been any CD reissue of this LP, to my knowledge.

Carnival Sketches was recorded May 11 and July 17, 1964. This one was out briefly as a Japanese CD reissue. This is a sort of Latin record, but don't be deterred, the first side of this LP is great--it's a side-long suite composed by Richard Evans, and featuring Shaw's beautiful trumpet.

Gene Shaw -- Breakthrough . . . LP . . . $39.99 (Item: 19831)

Argo, 1962 Condition: Very Good+ View Cart

We love this record! Gene Shaw was an obscure trumpet player who was also known as Clarence Shaw, and who played with Mingus (on Tijuana Moods and other sessions) before Mingus threatened his life, and he had to move to Chicago and change his name! (This can be verified in the liner notes to the 1963 release of Tijuana Moods, in which Mingus says that he loved Shaw, but can't get in touch with him anymore.) In Chicago, Shaw merged with the city's great scene of underground soul jazz players, and created 3 amazing recordings for Chess/Argo -- one of which is this album! The session sparkles with lyricism and imagination, and with a groove that mixes soul jazz rhythm with edgey modernist soloing. Highlights include the cuts "Autum Walk", "Six Bits", "The Thing", and "Our Tune". (Original Argo pressing. Cover has a bit of tape on 2 corners, and 2 edges, plus some light wear -- and pen notations on the back cover.)Gene Shaw --

Carnival Sketches . . . LP . . . $11.99 (Item: 5243) Just Reduced!

Argo, 1964 Condition: Very Good- View Cart

Excellent LP by one of the lost trumpet talents of the 60's! Gene "Clarence" Shaw played with Mingus, until the big one scared him away, and he fled to Chicago and started recording LPs for Argo. All of the LPs are great, and this one's a rare treat featuring a cool set of compositions and arrangements by Richard Evans that have a groovy Latiny feel to them. Evans plays bass, and Charles Stepney's on vibes. Shaw is stunning throughout, and this set makes you wonder why Mingus didn't come out to Chicago and re-hire him on the spot. Cuts include "Ain't That Soul", "Goin Back Home", "Goin' Downtown", and "Cha Bossa". Tough one to find! (Original blue label Argo pressing.)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, there's Debut in Blues, which features a sextet. This was the second of the three. I have it in two LPs, the original Argo, and a Chess reissue (the latter being one of those cheapo reissue Chess pressings). I don't think there's been a CD reissue.

I believe both Breakthrough and Debut in Blues feature Mr. Shaw's working band of the time. The repertoire is mostly originals by band members, and both the compositions and playing, by mostly unfamiliar names, are at a high level.

Three!!! What's the third one?

Edited by kh1958

Debut in Blues has Herb Wise on trombone, Jay Peters on tenor sax, Jim Taylor on piano, Sid Robinson on bass and Jerold Donavon on drums, and was recorded on July 8, 1963.

According to the liner notes, Gene Shaw was from Detroit. He cites among his most memorable engagements two weeks in Detroit with Lester Young. His favorite trumpet player is Freddie Webster. Mr. Shaw plays a Student Olds trumpet.

• 1 year later...

i just put yesterday the breakthrough title on my want on ebay !

bidding on that one already.

euclid records (seller on ebay) has 3 titles of him for auction.

That's funny - I also bought my copy of Breakthrough from euclid on eBay about a year ago.

I like it very much. Later I found a copy of Carnival Sketches. Still lookin' for Debut in Blues.

Good luck!

In a couple of weeks I will be listing some interesting LPs for sale. A VG+ Mono pressing of the Carnival Sketches will be amongst them.

I really like the first side of Carnival Sketches.

Is there such a thing as a Near Mint Argo?

Stay tuned. I will let you know in a few days. This will be BIG!

• 3 months later...

Just finished listening to Carnival Sketches. "Pretty" is a word that doesn't have a good ring to it, but this album is pretty in all the best ways.

Why oh why weren't Shaw's other two Argo albums reissued on CD?! I'd like to hear them, but my vinyl days have ground to a halt.

why did mingus wanna kill him?

Because Shaw could not make it to a 1958 record session with Langston Hugues and Mingus. Shaw had the flu and could not go, he tried to phone Mingus but could not reach him.

Mingus called Shaw and threatened him. He later apologized to Shaw.

Shaw refused to rejoin the Mingus band.

This is described in the Gene Santoro book on Mingus 'Myself When I Am Real'.

I have the Argo Carnival Date and quite like it. Maybe the Argo label is the stamp collection I never had but need to turn to after I finished all the others!

I like the Ain't that Soul and Going back home sides in particular

Edited by andybleaden

why did mingus wanna kill him?

Because Shaw could not make it to a 1958 record session with Langston Hugues and Mingus. Shaw had the flu and could not go, he tried to phone Mingus but could not reach him.

Mingus called Shaw and threatened him. He later apologized to Shaw.

Shaw refused to rejoin the Mingus band.

This is described in the Gene Santoro book on Mingus 'Myself When I Am Real'.

wonder who called the Andorreans and threatened them away from Gene Shaws Argo LPs...

wonder who called the Andorreans and threatened them away from Gene Shaws Argo LPs...

Not so sure about this :g

As a matter of fact, I would not be surprised to see the Gene Shaw sessions appearing on one of the Andorrean label pretty soon.

Don't they need a prior CD reissue to steal? I don't think there has been one for Debut in Blues or Breakthrough.

Don't they need a prior CD reissue to steal? I don't think there has been one for Debut in Blues or Breakthrough.

Not true!

Jazz Factory has released Gerald Wilson 'Big Band Modern'

wilson_gera_bigbandmo_101b.jpg

It included a previously unissued live date and a 1954 album that had not been reissued on CD before.