organissimo does Chicago!!! Tues Oct 18th

GregN

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"SO, if I can personally get 30 people to go hear a whole two hours of Charles Ives(!!!) -- then the Chicago folks on this board damn well better be able to get 50 people in the house for a band like Organissimo."

wait - does this mean this is going to be an evening of dissonant music written by an insurance salesman...?

...well, in that case, it sounds just weird enough to be my kinda music -

• 2 weeks later...

Up for the big show in Chicago tonight!!! :)

I am stuck here in Michigan with a couple of sick kids. But you are being put on the guest list, my friend. Fellas are stuck in traffic about 4 miles from the gig, but they should be there by the 7:30 load in time.

g

Looking forward to a report on the Chicago hang. I'm jealous. I hope the boys got to sample some Chicago delights (I'm talking food).

Let's see.....Giordano's, Uno's, Carson's, various dog houses, Thai food, etc., etc, etc.

Seems like we have lots of Chicago board members, hope they showed up. I think Chicago would be a perfect place for the boys to play. A funky, stanky good town.

Is anyone taking pictures fer chrissake? Sheldon? :cool:

Mark, Larry, and Sal showed up. Mark took some shots, and Larry promised a review. If minew was there, I didn't get introduced. Also Detroit drummer RJ Spangler happened to be in town. A small but appreciative crowd. Martyr's is a GREAT room. Very musician friendly. I look forward to our next Chicago gig in November!

Mark, Larry, and Sal showed up. Mark took some shots, and Larry promised a review. If minew was there, I didn't get introduced. Also Detroit drummer RJ Spangler happened to be in town. A small but appreciative crowd. Martyr's is a GREAT room. Very musician friendly. I look forward to our next Chicago gig in November!

Damn, I wish I could have made it.

Man, RJ is all over the place. Few weeks ago he was touring the west coast.

Who says the blues doesn't pay. :) Seriously, for those of you who don't know,

RJ is a major figure in the preservation of Detroit Blues, Jazz, and R&B (early Motown). Check out his playing on the Johnny Bassett cd, (for one), he has got that ole style down. He also works with legends such as Joe Weaver (Standing In The Shadows of Motown).

Mark, can't wait to see the photos! :excited:

Good to see some of the old-guard board members showed up. :)

The band (first time for me) is a gas! Completely locked-in rhythmically and with an approach to the organ trio (essentially it's a mini big band) that may not be the only one but the one that I think is central and the best, unless you happen to be Larry Young. I'm no organ expert (watch yourself, now!), but I love Jim's warm, guttural, chest and belly level registration (don't care for lots of treble-y runs, myself); also I like his "key-y" attack, with just the right amount of "chuff" to it, if you know what I mean (I'm making up these terms, I think, but they do correspond, in my head at least, to what's going on in Jim's playing). Afterwards I was talking to Joe about how nicely Jim can lay back and then really build; Joe said that a good deal of that was due to Randy, who's older, has a good deal of prior organ trio experience, and had passed on that wisdom. In any case, Jim in a slow burn groove is something else -- very satisfying, quite personal while staying within the idiom, and, above all, in the moment; he's doesn't drown you in bluesy cliches. Also, when Jim has really built or is really building to a chordal climax, don't stop listening closely; in the midst of the Christmas dinner, he's playing some very hip, subtle, off-the-wall stuff. And, again, completely locked-in rhythmically, and while I think there was, in the first set, only one really up-tempo piece, "Jimmy Smith Goes to Washington," Jim was completely at ease there too. (Oh yes, most of the tunes are the band's, and they're fine -- particularly the one dedicated to Jim's daughter, "Punkin' Pie.") Joe knocked me out; his lines always sing -- again within the idiom, but not, or no longer, as a sharp-eared board member once said, really conventional, at least IMO. In particular, his phrasing lays across the beat so subtlely and fluidly that I think after this encounter that I'd know his playing anywhere; in his phrasing especially he's his own man. Only thing -- and this may be inseparable from his virtues -- for some reason I can't pin down, it took me a tune or two to really pick up on what he was doing. That could be me, of course, but it also may be that there's something kind of undemonstrative or even shy about Joe's music-making, which he overcomes as he gets going -- if so, well, that's part of what makes his playing genuine, and so be it. I was about to say that Randy is a force of nature, which is how it feels, but that's also silly -- you don't get just get into or fall into those grooves, you create them. A hell of a player. And his harmonica solo, with R.J. Spangler sitting in and tippin' light on drums, was a real JAZZ harmonica solo. Sound quality in the room was excellent. And I believe that Jim owns quite an instrument there, though, again, I don't know enough about the relationship between a particular Hammond in itself and how a player sets it up to be sure about that. Whatever, it's deep, rich, and caramel-y, not whiny or nasal, and you could listen to it all evening without getting worn out, which is what happens to me with a lot other Hammond players and/or their setups. Also, while Jim changes registration to some extent to suit the tune, he doesn't fiddle around with it in mid-solo (something I tend to dislike/distrust), nor does he alter the setup so much from tune to tune that you think you're listening to two or three different players. Wish I could have talked more with Jim and Randy (did get to talk to Joe for a while after the first set), but the music was speaking on their behalf regardless.

The band (first time for me) is a gas! Completely locked-in rhythmically and with an approach to the organ trio (essentially it's a mini big band) that may not be the only one but the one that I think is central and the best, unless you happen to be Larry Young. I'm no organ expert (watch yourself, now!), but I love Jim's warm, guttural, chest and belly level registration (don't care for lots of treble-y runs, myself); also I like his "key-y" attack, with just the right amount of "chuff"  to it, if you know what I mean (I'm making up these terms, I think, but they do correspond, in my head at least, to what's going on in Jim's playing). Afterwards I was talking to Joe about how nicely Jim can lay back and then really build; Joe said that a good deal of that was due to Randy, who's older, has a good deal of prior organ trio experience, and had passed on that wisdom. In any case, Jim in a slow burn groove is something else -- very satisfying, quite personal while staying within the idiom, and, above all, in the moment; he's doesn't drown you in bluesy cliches. Also, when Jim has really built or is really building to a chordal climax, don't stop listening closely; in the midst of the Christmas dinner, he's playing some very hip, subtle, off-the-wall stuff.  And, again, completely locked-in rhythmically, and while  I think there was, in the first set, only one really up-tempo piece, "Jimmy Smith Goes to Washington," Jim was completely at ease there too.  (Oh yes,  most of the tunes are the band's, and they're fine -- particularly the one dedicated to Jim's daughter, "Punkin' Pie.") Joe knocked me out; his lines always sing -- again within the idiom, but not, or no longer, as a sharp-eared board member once said, really conventional, at least IMO. In particular, his phrasing lays across the beat so subtlely and fluidly that I think after this encounter that I'd know his playing anywhere; in his phrasing especially he's his own man. Only thing -- and this may be inseparable from his virtues -- for some reason I can't pin down, it took me a tune or two to really pick up on what he was doing. That could be me, of course, but it also may be that there's something kind of undemonstrative or even shy about Joe's music-making, which he overcomes as he gets going -- if so, well, that's part of what makes his playing genuine, and so be it. I was about to say that Randy is a force of nature, which is how it feels, but that's also silly -- you don't get just get into or fall into those grooves, you create them. A hell of a player. And his harmonica solo, with R.J. Spangler sitting in and tippin' light on drums, was a real JAZZ harmonica solo. Sound quality in the room was excellent. And I believe that Jim owns quite an instrument there, though, again, I don't know enough about the relationship between a particular Hammond in itself and how a player sets it up to be sure about that. Whatever, it's deep, rich, and caramel-y, not whiny or nasal, and you could listen to it all evening without getting worn out, which is what happens to me with a lot other Hammond players and/or their setups. Also, while Jim changes registration to some extent to suit the tune, he doesn't fiddle around with it in mid-solo (something I tend to dislike/distrust), nor does he alter the setup so much from tune to tune that you think you're listening to two or three different players. Wish I could have talked more with Jim and Randy (did get to talk to Joe for a while after the first set), but the music was speaking on their behalf regardless.

Great post Larry, you got me thinkin'

Speakin' with my musician's hat on (rather than the tin foil one :) )

Years ago, I called Randy to fill in on drums for my blues band. We were playing at Moriarty's in Lansing Mi; a small but friendly pub and hang for music lovers. Half-way thru the night, and mind you I only knew of Randy thru a friend and thought of him as only a drummer, he instructs me to play a slow blues with some "Allman Brothers" changes. Not knowing what he was up to, or not knowing exactly what he meant on the changes (had heard those so-called changes played a million different ways by bar bands), I assumed he meant a 3-6-2-5 thingy at the turnaround, with maybe some subsitutions, so I started playing. Well, this guy stands up on his drum stool, and I am thinkin', "oh, shit what is this nutball doing", and he reaches into his shirt pocket and pulls out a harmonica. O.K. at this point I am just goin' along for the ride, but then he started playing! Holy crap, to this day, I still tell this story to anyone who will listen, but Randy floored me! First I recognized some Charlie Parker, but then he went from there, and he is playin' all this crazy chromatic/bebop stuff on a diatonic harp! Now, I've tried to play harmonica, but well, didn't get much past Dylanesque ability. However, I do understand that playing fast chromatic lines on a diatonic harmonica is a real bear. Aside, from all of that, Randy is an animal on the drums. His melodic approach to the drums is impeccable. I am speaking strictly as a musician here, the guy can play. As a friend, I say Randy is a nut. ;)

Joe is reserved. That may seem to fly in face of typical guitar heroics. But, Joe's style is beautiful in its understatement(s). In this day and age of technique for technique's sake and musical regurgitation, Joe has developed a unique musical voice. His touch is simply amazing. I heard somebody make the comment at the Lansing show, that he plays with the grace and power of a concert pianist. He isn't especially gritty, but he plays beautifully. Joe's approach casts a wonderful balance among the other players [in organissimo]. Randy is a fireball, Jim is the welcoming host with his warm and vocal like style, and Joe is the sharp-dressed man with a strong focus and a light hand. Their individual strengths come together for a wonderful band sound. 'A band sound', something you don't get much these days.

My ole friend, John Large, a icon of sorts, in the Michigan drumming scene recently told me, "these guys are the Beatles of jazz..." in that they've studied their stuff, they nod to tradition, and then they create and celebrate melodies. The Beatles were the essence of pop, and organissimo is the essense of jazz. Big words? Yeah, maybe, but the concepts remain the same, and time will tell what's the real deal, for this very creative trio.

g

I'm speechless. Thank you, Larry, for the wonderful words. I wish we could've talked more, too.

I will say one thing: The comment on the sound of my rig makes me feel great. I lucked into that particular organ (a 1958 B3) and it has always had a great sound on it's own, but I've also worked hard on that Leslie speaker, changing tubes, amps, speakers, etc. to get the kind of tone that I want. A lot of organists want their Leslies very dirty or very clean... I like mine somewhere inbetween. Plus, major props to the soundman. He did a fantastic job.

I'm looking forward to our next hit in the Windy City!!! Nov. 30th at the Hot House! I hope we can get back into Martyr's as well. Great sounding room, great people.

Oh, and I personally thought the opening act kicked ass!!!

The band (first time for me) is a gas! Completely locked-in rhythmically and with an approach to the organ trio (essentially it's a mini big band) that may not be the only one but the one that I think is central and the best, unless you happen to be Larry Young. I'm no organ expert (watch yourself, now!), but I love Jim's warm, guttural, chest and belly level registration (don't care for lots of treble-y runs, myself); also I like his "key-y" attack, with just the right amount of "chuff"  to it, if you know what I mean (I'm making up these terms, I think, but they do correspond, in my head at least, to what's going on in Jim's playing). Afterwards I was talking to Joe about how nicely Jim can lay back and then really build; Joe said that a good deal of that was due to Randy, who's older, has a good deal of prior organ trio experience, and had passed on that wisdom. In any case, Jim in a slow burn groove is something else -- very satisfying, quite personal while staying within the idiom, and, above all, in the moment; he's doesn't drown you in bluesy cliches. Also, when Jim has really built or is really building to a chordal climax, don't stop listening closely; in the midst of the Christmas dinner, he's playing some very hip, subtle, off-the-wall stuff.  And, again, completely locked-in rhythmically, and while  I think there was, in the first set, only one really up-tempo piece, "Jimmy Smith Goes to Washington," Jim was completely at ease there too.  (Oh yes,  most of the tunes are the band's, and they're fine -- particularly the one dedicated to Jim's daughter, "Punkin' Pie.") Joe knocked me out; his lines always sing -- again within the idiom, but not, or no longer, as a sharp-eared board member once said, really conventional, at least IMO. In particular, his phrasing lays across the beat so subtlely and fluidly that I think after this encounter that I'd know his playing anywhere; in his phrasing especially he's his own man. Only thing -- and this may be inseparable from his virtues -- for some reason I can't pin down, it took me a tune or two to really pick up on what he was doing. That could be me, of course, but it also may be that there's something kind of undemonstrative or even shy about Joe's music-making, which he overcomes as he gets going -- if so, well, that's part of what makes his playing genuine, and so be it. I was about to say that Randy is a force of nature, which is how it feels, but that's also silly -- you don't get just get into or fall into those grooves, you create them. A hell of a player. And his harmonica solo, with R.J. Spangler sitting in and tippin' light on drums, was a real JAZZ harmonica solo. Sound quality in the room was excellent. And I believe that Jim owns quite an instrument there, though, again, I don't know enough about the relationship between a particular Hammond in itself and how a player sets it up to be sure about that. Whatever, it's deep, rich, and caramel-y, not whiny or nasal, and you could listen to it all evening without getting worn out, which is what happens to me with a lot other Hammond players and/or their setups. Also, while Jim changes registration to some extent to suit the tune, he doesn't fiddle around with it in mid-solo (something I tend to dislike/distrust), nor does he alter the setup so much from tune to tune that you think you're listening to two or three different players. Wish I could have talked more with Jim and Randy (did get to talk to Joe for a while after the first set), but the music was speaking on their behalf regardless.

It's as though Larry took the words right out of my mouth :cool: ! I just rolled into Indy from Chicago at 10:30 this morning and right into the office. I will do my best to post some images from last nights show later tonight!

It was great to meet the band and to catch up with Larry again......and a special thanks to my friend and fellow board member Sal for providing my lodging and for going to work this morning with little to no sleep!!!

m~

Edited by sheldonm

Before I go to sleep for about 12 hours, I wanted to say that I had a really great evening last night! It was great meeting you Joe, Jim and Randy. You guys are a fantastic group, and are well-deserving of all the success that has been bestowed upon you. Larry Kart, it was a pleasure meeting you as well. Hope you can join us at the Showcase for some future shows. And Mark, a great time as usual!

I really wish I could have stayed for the second set, but I had to be up at 5AM this morning for the 9 to 5. I greatly enjoyed your show, and hope you guys can make it back to the Chi very soon!

Sincerely,

Sal