upcoming Jelly Roll Morton set?

tranemonk

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been reading this thread with interest, and I'd appreciate some info if anybody has it on the difference between the older "piano box" issue and the newer "standard box" issue. *Is* the box the only difference? Does the newer box include the Lomax book, etc.? Also, is one version "unexpurgated" as one site rather bizarrely put it, and one set possibly not?! THAT would be weird!

Greg M.

• 3 months later...

Got the "new" box for Christmas & it's the only item in my collection with a "parental advisory" note on the cover for explicit content. So it's probably not "expurgated". I'm not sure about that label though-- somehow I have a feeling very few kids asked Santa for this set!

Looks like the only real difference is the lower price and no Lomax book.

Got the "new" box for Christmas & it's the only item in my collection with a "parental advisory" note on the cover for explicit content. So it's probably not "expurgated". I'm not sure about that label though-- somehow I have a feeling very few kids asked Santa for this set!

Looks like the only real difference is the lower price and no Lomax book.

Thanks! I'd asked this question some time back, but I continued to keep an eye out for a reply. I looked up the Lomax book on Amazon, and you can get a used copy pretty cheaply--a lot less than the price difference between the newer and older boxes--just in case you don't yet have it and want it!

I'm definitely going to have to get the set.

• 10 months later...

if you can find it, the absolute best remastering of the 1923 piano solos (even better than John RT) are on a Folkways LP - they were mastered by Carl Seltzer, now deceased, who did a lot of work for that label as well as Rosetta - amazingly good sound -

I finally found the LP online (what a buzz!). It's on it's way.

• 4 months later...

I don't know when this happened, but Amazon has added the entire Rounder set as part of its digital sales division. So you can order the Library of Congress recordings as MP3s (and they are DRM-free or so they claim). Anyway, there is a best of, but if you specify the entire collection, it is available at the sale price of $19.95 for all 128 tracks (256 bit rate). Obviously, this is too much for those completely focused on quality, but I thought it was a pretty good deal given that I am migrating almost all of my box sets to MP3 anyway. (I guess the best price I've seen for the set was $55 without the Lomax book.) I was a little hesitant (thinking I would only get the first CD) but I got the whole enchillada. It sounds pretty good on my system.

On the whole, I still prefer eMusic, but Amazon MP3s are a better deal than iTunes and they do have the ECM label, so it is starting to be worth a look.

Thanks very much for the tip, Eric. I've been thinking about buying the Rounder box set, but (for the same reasons you mentioned) will probably just purchase the MP3s.

Can you (or anybody else) please give me the details of "the Lomax book"? Is that the "Mister Jelly Roll" book? Was it included in the other Library of Congress recordings set?

• 1 year later...

I don't know when this happened, but Amazon has added the entire Rounder set as part of its digital sales division. So you can order the Library of Congress recordings as MP3s (and they are DRM-free or so they claim). ... I was a little hesitant (thinking I would only get the first CD) but I got the whole enchillada. It sounds pretty good on my system.

Just listening to this today. Jelly Roll was quite the story teller. It's like the pre-cursor to Behind the Music (or maybe a Benny Golson concert ;) ). Talk a lot, play a couple of tunes, talk some more, repeat for approx. 8 hours. I think one disc at a time is the way to go.

• 4 years later...