upcoming Jelly Roll Morton set?

tranemonk

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pre-ordering also. Rest assured, tranemonk. This is essential material. Quite a few of us on this board (Chris A., Lon, Brownie, and others) are somewhat familiar with this material from previous issues, but there is material here that has NEVER been released before. It's just Jelly sitting at a piano and talking and singing (and embroidering - somewhat) his memoirs and accompanying himself on piano the whole time. What I've heard previously (most of the actual tunes (from a previous Rounder issue) and some of the talking (from the times I've heard portions of the original lp release played on FM) is totally fascinating. His complete rap and demo on the development of Tiger Rag from a French Quadrille into a Jazz standard is not to be missed.

Plus - you get a lot for your do-re-mi. Good notes and a copy of "Mr. Jelly Lord" which is the book Alan Lomax put out. It's essentially a transcript of Jelly's rap.

There's another thread on this but I still don't know how to use the search enginge.

edit to add: and I don't know how to spell search engine either ! :g

Edited by Harold_Z

I agree with what Harold said. I have to have it! The preorder price is the best deal likely on this for some time, and even though I shouldn't have, I preordered the day I read about this set (here on this board). Jelly is really important in my musical world, and I'm eager to learn more about him and his music on this set.

Former thread:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...opic=21195&st=0

Harold, this search function is weird, I barely get it to work for me, somehow I don't think right with its logic.

What I do is go to the main forums page which has all the forums listed, and enter a search term in the box at the upper right. This works most of the time to pull up what I need. Also you can go to the individual forums and enter a search term in the box at the bottom. . .

Former thread:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...opic=21195&st=0

Harold, this search function is weird, I barely get it to work for me, somehow I don't think right with its logic.

What I do is go to the main forums page which has all the forums listed, and enter a search term in the box at the upper right. This works most of the time to pull up what I need.  Also you can go to the individual forums and enter a search term in the box at the bottom. . .

Thanks, Lon.

Do you have any of his other stuff????

I generally stay away from early trad jazz... (I tend not to have the patience...) but after listening to some of the online samples of the previous Rounder release... and rethinking (yes.. some things Wynton said) about Jelly Roll... I'm debating if this is my last boxed set of the year... :(:huh::huh::unsure:

And it does seem like a very complete set....

I agree with what Harold said.  I have to have it!  The preorder price is the best deal likely on this for some time, and even though I shouldn't have, I preordered the day I read about this set (here on this board).  Jelly is really important in my musical world, and I'm eager to learn more about him and his music on this set.

Trane Monk, yes, I have almost all his other stuff. As I said, Jelly is important in my listening world, I'm fascinated by hi work. IF you don't usually like early trad jazz, this may not be a great choice for you. Then again, it's mostly piano and voice, and a history lesson or three. I don't know what to advise you. It's not a limited edition so you have plenty of time to think and sample and decide.

thanks jazzbo.... yea... I'm on the fence on this one... the kicker is the CDU sale price... of $90... you know after it comes out everyone's price is going go up....

<_<<_<:unsure::wacko:

Trane Monk, yes, I have almost all his other stuff.  As I said, Jelly is important in my listening world, I'm fascinated by hi work.  IF you don't usually like early trad jazz, this may not be a great choice for you.  Then again, it's mostly piano and voice, and a history lesson or three. I don't know what to advise you.  It's not a limited edition so you have plenty of time to think and sample and decide.

What Lon said. I also have much of Jelly's other recordings, and imho Jelly is one of the great figures of early jazz. As Lon said, these recordings are piano only and almost everything else is band stuff. BTW, Jelly is one of the first great arrangers in Jazz, alternating written ensemble parts with the free blowing that was so typical of New Orleans ensembles. If you're interested in that check out something by his "Red Hot Peppers". My reccomendation is the JSP set or for a single disc the newest RCA disc. Good sound on both of those. Jelly's 20s recordings are unusually well recorded for 20s stuff. RCA was on the ball.

TM, if you don't have any Morton at all, you should definitely start with the JSP box:

60431655.jpg

This 5-CD box sells for around $25 or less, has received many rave reviews, and features excellent remastered sound by the late John R.T. Davies, one of the most respected 78-restoration engineers. While the JSP label and its owner, John Steadman, have more recently been embroiled in a lot of controversy (and litigation), this earlier legitimate issue is the real thing, and a credit to Davies' famous engineering skills. As I said, it's a terrific, and relatively inexpensive, place to start. Here's the page on Amazon with reviews and sound samples.

AWESOME! Ron.. you are the MAN.. again...!!

thanks on this one... I may go this way before the LOC recordings...

:tup:tup:tup

TM, if you don't have any Morton at all, you should definitely start with the JSP box:

60431655.jpg

This 5-CD box sells for around $25 or less, has received many rave reviews, and features excellent remastered sound by the late John R.T. Davies, one of the most respected 78-restoration engineers.  While the JSP label and its owner, John Steadman, have more recently been embroiled in a lot of controversy (and litigation), this earlier legitimate issue is the real thing, and a credit to Davies' famous engineering skills.  As I said, it's a terrific, and relatively inexpensive, place to start. Here's the page on Amazon with reviews and sound samples.

AWESOME! Ron.. you are the MAN.. again...!!

thanks on this one... I may go this way before the LOC recordings...

:tup  :tup  :tup

Dude, that's a MUST (and by the way, Harold also recommended this and should get some of the credit). The recordings in the JSP box are the ones for which Morton is famous. The LOC recordings, while no doubt excellent, are primarily of interest for the "historical" (as interpreted by Morton) background they provide and the chance they give to get to "know" him better as a person and a musician. At least that's my impression from what I've read, not yet having heard them myself.

not sure what the LOC recordings are - BUT - the solo piano records Morton made from 1939-1940 are wonderful and essential, as good as anything else he did - they were made for General but have been reissued by Commodore - also essential are the 1923 solo recordings - amazingly advanced and important - issued in a lot of places, including JSP, I think -

Edited by AllenLowe