Good turntable for $1000.00

Matthew

I want to take a bigtime leap in tt quality, and my budget is about $1,000. I have a MMF 2.1 right now that works great, and I'm thinking of going for the MMF 7.1. Does anyone have that one? and if so, how do you like it? I keep hearing great things about the 7.1. Are there other brands that I should be looking at? Help greatly appreciated. :)

Guest GregM

Maybe you can find a used VPI Scout. New they're $1500, and still a relatively recently released product in high demand, so it may be difficult to find for less. But I managed to find one for $1200 before most places were even shipping them. By the way, Music Direct offers a BDR kit (those little pucks beneath the feet and a little isolation shelf beneath the motor) which help immensely.

vpiacountL.jpg

Edited by GregM

I'm thinking of going for the MMF 7.1. Does anyone have that one?

Yep! No muss no fuss. A great little turntable for the money. Buy your self some isolation feet, and upgrade the mat and your good to go! You should be able to do all this for about $1000.

I've had mine for 7 months. I'm very happy with it's performance. Be warned though, this unit will really open your eyes (and ears) up to the possibilities of what a good analog set up can sound like. If your anything like me you will want more! B)

All that being said I can recommend this unit wholeheartedly.

What type of phonostage are you using? Chances are you can use a high output moving coil cartrdige. Try and spen as much as possible on a good cartridge and make sure it is one that works well with whatever turntable/tonearm you buy.

My recommendation would be a used LP 12. Especially if you can find one with an Ittok tonearm. For your price range, you should be able to find one. A cartridge would extend your budget though. But at $1000, you are buying a turntable that was bought for much more.

I'm thinking of going for the MMF 7.1. Does anyone have that one?

Yep! No muss no fuss. A great little turntable for the money.

That is what I'm really looking for, a no fuss turntable. I'm not the most audiophile kind of guy, can't ever figure out the workings of electronic dodads, so a tt that I can just set right and leave alone is for me.

Shrugs: Dumb question: What's a phone stage?

The thing your turntable's tonearm cable is plugged into. Receiver, preamp, seperate phonostage, int. amp.

Can make a world of difference since the majority of receivers for the past 20 years or so have been made for people w/o a turntable. The majority of companies still put them into their receivers but they know that most people don't own a turntable. Perfect place to cut costs.

Edited by shrugs

Another plug for the P3. Simple, reliable and great sound. Just picked up the Shorty Mosaic and the difference between the vinyl and the cds on this set is astonishing to me...and I don't think I have the most discriminating ears around. Buy quality all the way around, including interconnects. Audiogon is a good source if you don't want to buy new.

I have a very basic setup: NAD 320 CEE intergrated amp, with a NAD PP1 Phono amp, and Dynaudio Audience 52 speaker. Basic, but I'm happy with the sound I'm getting. I will upgrade the phono-amp also. Any recommendations?

I think that setup should work great with your new table. Have you decided yet?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, after much back and forth, I finally went with the MMF 7.1, which I was able to get at a nice price. I'm really enjoying it, much more detail, and a fuller sound. Final item will now be to save money for a tuner.

PS: Nice to be back, my dsl line was down for 12 days!