Sonny Simmons - THE COMPLETE ESP-DISK RECORDINGS

JSngry

Some rather interesting, spirited & idyosyncratic interview excerpts, mostly from sonny, but a few from the great Barbara Donald as well.

Sonny Simmons is no mere "honker and squealer" (and in the interviews, he has some rather strong words for and about those who are). The cat can play his instrument at a very high level. He's one of the true giants of this music, I think, somebody with a deep understanding of what it is he's playing, as well as exactly why he's playing it. Barbara Donald is incredible, as are the rest of the musicians on these sessions.

No new music here, but good lord, this is choice stuff. Fans of the freer BN dates of Andrew Hill, Sam Rivers, etc., or of things like Stanley Cowell's Briliant Circles who haven't discovered this music should do themselves a favor and do so ASAP. This music might at times be a little freer than those, but the connection is strong nevertheless. And the interviews paint a vivid portrait of the man. By turns stubborn, idealistic, earthy, and idiomatic, his words are unique, but ultimately totally sensible. Exactly like his playing.

Best price I've found by far is here: http://ssl.adhost.com/jazzloft/baskets/pos.cfm?CD=7182 $20.99 + shipping. Carpe diem.

I haven't sprung for this as I have the two XYZ cds. . .and I really enjoy them. . . but my experience with the Frank Wright "interview" bits led me to believe I could save 25 bucks and not buy this new Simmons. . . .

I really DO enjoy this music though. Time to dig them out and spin! (Or rather. . . I wish there WERE time to revisit all I want to this weekend!)

Guest akanalog

i wish they wouldn't add these interview bits.

sort of detracts for me. padding the time of the discs and i don't really need to hear it on the music discs. same thing on the rollins live in london stuff.

they could release an ESP interviews disc or a small book of transcripts, but i would rather they keep the music and the interviews seperate.

do you like the sonny simmons burning spirits reissue disc that came out two years or so ago?

it was a bit strong for me.

are these ESP sessions of the same ilk?

one of these was john hicks first session, right?

All this talk has prompted me to pull out my Sonny Simmons vinyl:

Music of the Spheres (ESP)

Staying on the Watch (")

Manhattan Egos (Arhoolie)

Rumasuma (Contemporary)

Burning Spirits (")

It's been many a year since I listened to any of these. Anyone care to rank them?

Edited by MartyJazz

I think it's interesting, as a historian, to have these interview clips on the CDs. When these guys are gone, we'll wish we had them - I grew up too young to have seen Frank Wright play or meet him, but the sound of his voice is just like his tenor playing! It was really nice to hear for me.

The booklet interview I took in 2003, and can also be found on All About Jazz in its entirety (at least as long as their server didn't crash again!). Shouldn't be any difference between the two.

All this talk has prompted me to pull out my Sonny Simmons vinyl:

Music of the Spheres (ESP)

Staying on the Watch (")

Manhattan Egos (Arhoolie)

Rumasuma (Contemporary)

Burning Spirits (")

It's been many a year since I listened to any of these.  Anyone care to rank them?

I think you just did, man.

I think that these interview clips are priceless documentation. You get to hear, among other things, Simmons going into detail about his practice routines w/Dolphy.

Donald's brief comment about her kids having had to do without a lot of things because they've never made the money in the music that they'd hoped for speaks volumes, and breaks my heart. Ditto Sonny's comment that he was sure that somebody would recognize her talent and give her some work apart/away from him.

Sonny's rather blunt challenges to those he claim don't really know how to play their instrument (or as he calls it, "appliance") is as righteous as it is bold. This is a proud man who has worked hard to do what it is that he does, and he's got next to nothing to show for it. He's damn near defiant in his refusal to give up or otherwise compromise his standards.

And so on. You get a real feel for the people who made this music. Reading it is one thing, but hearing it just makes it that much more real. Different strokes, I guess.

CT, that's your interview in the liners? Excellent! :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup Now wea ll know who you really are! ;)

Edited by JSngry

Guest youmustbe

Burning Spirits is my favorite in part because he plays the shit out of the tenor on 'New Newk'.

I wanted him to play tenor when I Ibooked him last year, but too old, not enough breath. By 4th night, he could hardly play the alto. Same wth Dewey Redman when I booked whim with Lovano...after 2 nights he basically just took a couple of choruses, all he could do. Yeah, they get old, that's why Sonny (The Eternal Newk!) is so amazing at his age!

Burning Spirits is my favorite in part because he plays the shit out of the tenor on 'New Newk'.

Last time I listened to Burning Spirits I thought it was crap.

First few times I spun it, it was one of the heavier titles I'd heard by Sonny (or anybody). Now, well... it occupies a spot between "Rumasuma" and a Horace Tapscott record on the shelf. None of the three seem to get pulled out anymore...

• 2 weeks later...

Barbara Donald is incredible

Hell yeah!

Just bought the vinyl of "Music From the Spheres" and am really enjoying the music. Barbara Donald does sound fantastic playing this style. Some solos really remind me of Booker Little, or where he might have gone if he lived a few more years after 61'. This music was recorded in 1966.

Boy, she sounds great--free but with technique! Her and Sonny Simmons play beautifully together!

Is she still alive? I wanna get those records she did for Cadence--good stuff?

Barbara Donald also plays on the Smiley Winters cd, on Arhoolie.  Check it out, especially the first track, where Winters, who plays drums, basically goes insane. :excited:

Yeah Stefan--I have that one--my first exposure to Ms. Donald. Very cool.

Also cool--as I was coming up in San Francisco, I used to do gigs with Smiley Winters all the time. He was quite a man and drummer. He was more a bebopper when we played though.

Last time I listened to Burning Spirits I thought it was crap.

Can't Agree more. A total disappointement.

Best SIMMONS since the ESP BATCH are the two that he has recorded for CIMP (particularly TRANSCENDENCE) and he's come-back, the magnificent ANCIENT RITUAL (on QUEST/ WEA)

I remember her mentioning Harry James.

Seriously!

If you believe Sonny, she wasn't really a jazz trumpeter until he took her under his wing. How true that really is, I can't say. But she sounds like she wasn't really into heavy improvising before she met Sonny. No mention of Booker Little or anybody like that.

I always thought that she captured the spirit of Donald Ayler and played his ideas (figuratively, not literally) the way a "trained" trumpeter would. To me, that speaks to both the brilliance of Donald and to the courage of Barbara. That sound!

The material on the Cadence sides, is almost enitely hard bop (you get ample doses of Carter Jefferson, btw). Yet she plays that material the same way she played the free stuff - and she makes the changes perfectly. What an amazing player!