Ornette Coleman reissues?

reg

Sure estates can be wronged, and they can seek - and get - remediation. Point just being that they're going to have to make their point in terms of the original legalities were not right in the first place. Friends and Neighbors was another one that Ornette claimed was not legit, and it got to CD. So...Ornette and Bob Thiele, some kind of story there, and maybe Cuscuna handling the impulse! reissues but not the RCA/Flying Dutchman reissues was the, uh, swing factor. Maybe he could have done it had he wanted, but he's a sensitive motherfucker, history has shown that Michael Cuscuna has been.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the LPs too, but my copy of At 12 is an original fatass vinyl in a laminated cover and my copy of Crisis is a promo copy in some weirdass quad-compatible mix, both bought, oddly enough, at the same visit to Stan's Record Store in downtown Shreveport, with R*B 45s pumping non-stop in the store at full volume and the Jewel-Paula offices right next door.. Ambiance out the ass! But between portability of the one and a hopefully tighter mix on the other, I'll get this reissue at some point along the way. It's functionality plays to my current lifestyle.

I've never actually heard either of them.  Didn't bite back in the  limited-income days because of how those in-the-know panned Denardo's drumming on them and because the cut on "Impulse Energy Essentials" had scared me away.   I remember now that the liner notes in that  album said that the producer (I assume Cuscuna) was going to represent Coleman with two previously unreleased cuts, but that Ornette requested "Trouble in the East" be there instead.  BTW, that was a really important album set to me, I believe my initial exposure to Pharoah Sanders, Sonny Rollins, Oliver Nelson, Charles Mingus, Max Roach, Cecil Taylor, Marion Brown, Alice Coltrane, Charlie Haden, Michael White, Archie Shepp. maybe even Freddie Hubbard.  

For me, there is no album in Ornette's discography that means more to me than Crisis.I consider it a masterpiece,and i'm excited as hell that it'll finally, at long last be reissued.I hope it's a legit reissue.I'm somewhat curious why Denardo and whoever else runs Ornette's label aren't releasing these titles themselves.

In any event, i'm in.

1 hour ago, walt said:

For me, there is no album in Ornette's discography that means more to me than Crisis.I consider it a masterpiece,and i'm excited as hell that it'll finally, at long last be reissued.I hope it's a legit reissue.I'm somewhat curious why Denardo and whoever else runs Ornette's label aren't releasing these titles themselves.

In any event, i'm in.

Totally legit label doing it.

Denardo´s fine to me also.

Yeah, I got those Impulse LPs when they where around (in the 70´s). Always liked the covers they made, still like to hold it in my hands. And the music is really advanced. The later BN´s from the same period they are much more conventional, maybe that´s what it was the BN slogan "it must schwing"(sic).

Crisis with both Don Cherry and Dewey Redman, and Charlie Haden back on bass. A beautiful record.

And the first tune on AT 12 always really moved me. Also the later version with a string quarted. String quartets usually is not my thing, but the way it´s arranged with the voices really moves me. It´s such a beautiful tune, something like hopless hope......

Lead´s me from Impulse to those Caravan of Dreams records. Got some of them, but only had heard once the "Opening at....", would like to see it reissued, IMHO the best of Prime Time, really something, and .....pardon for all who criticize his violin playin...., on that one "Compute" or how the tune is titled Ornette is really great on the fiddle. The way how even Miles seemed to praise Ornettes violin (other than his trumpet playing) "the violin is ok, you can get away with it playing some sounds, fillin in some sounds on some occasions....."

Edited by Gheorghe