Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis

Michael Fitzgerald

Am I missing something here?

Fantasy has an issue titled "Gentle Jaws" (Prestige 24160) which includes most of the December 11, 1959 Prestige session when Lockjaw played with the Red Garland trio for four tunes (four more by RG trio alone). But Fantasy already issued the album that came from this session in its Moodsville entirety (as OJC 360) so there are at least seven tracks duplicated between the two CDs. This *seems* like utter stupidity, but I've seen worse, so maybe it's possible.

However, the listing for 24160 shows "Untitled Blues" - including Davis which is not on the Moodsville album and is not mentioned in Raben, Bruyninckx, Lord, Jepsen. Is this somehow the same as what has been listed as "M Squad Theme" (issued on the Garland "Satin Doll" album PR 7859)?

Thanks for any clarification.

Mike

Edited by Michael Fitzgerald

Hmmmm - the other sources list 1948 as "M-Squad Theme" - so, if there was no recording of this from December 11, 1959 - is the version of that tune which was issued on PR 7859 really the trio version from April 17, 1959 (master number 1754)? I note that there is confusion as to whether it's a trio or quartet performance.

Mike

FWIW, Ruppli lists "untitled blues" as being a quartet track.

The April 17 recording you refer to was released on the "Red In Bluesville" album. According to the info included in the 2002 CD release ("Stretching Out"), the version of "M Squad Theme" from 7859 was recorded at the Prelude on October 2, 1959. This track is not included in the Ruppli track listings for the Prelude date (btw, there are an additional 5 tracks from the Prelude date that are not listed in Ruppli but have been released either on the US "At The Prelude, Vol. 1" or in Japan only in the "Complete At The Prelude" set).

'M Squad Theme' on the Satin Doll albumis listed as having been recorded at the Prelude on October 2, 1959.

It is a trio side and the way it is programed seems to indicate it was played right after 'It's a Blue World'.

These two are the only tracks from the Prelude recordings. The rest of the sides on the album were recorded at RVG.

Orin Keepnews produced the release.

The description of "Gentle Jaws" on the Fantasy website includes this:

"Garland and company back an obviously appreciative Jaws on four sublime tracks here, and take the spotlight on four more." The tracks in question are: When Your Lover Has Gone, We'll Be Together Again, I Heard You Cried Last Night, The Red Blues, Untitled Blues, Softly Baby, Blue Room, Stella by Starlight.

Looking again at Ruppli, this is the exact sequence of the tracks as recorded (matrix #'s 1944 through 1952), except that Fantasy has omitted one track from this CD release- "wonder why" (no joke intended, but it sure works :rolleyes: ). Aside from the mysterious "untitled blues", there are only three other tracks from this session that included Jaws, so if there are indeed four with him from this session on this CD, it looks to me like they actually have included a previously unissued track. Can't prove it, but it sure looks that way from here.

Now if I could only find a sound sample of "untitled blues" online somewhere...

Edited by Jim R

However, the listing for 24160 shows "Untitled Blues" - including Davis which is not on the Moodsville album and is not mentioned in Raben, Bruyninckx, Lord, Jepsen. Is this somehow the same as what has been listed as "M Squad Theme" (issued on the Garland "Satin Doll" album PR 7859)?

I have never heard "M Squad Theme", I only had the Prestige 24160 anthology, and that track definitely was a quartet performance. The recording date in the liner was that of the Moodsville album.

I, too, was annoyed when they didn't add that track to the OJC CD ....

Here's another bizarre thing -

Can someone explain the differences between discography entries and what is listed by Fantasy for the album "Person To Person" by Mildred Anderson (album with Lockjaw, Shirley Scott, et al.)?

Fantasy shows:

I'm Gettin' Long Alright

I'm Free

Don't Deceive Me (Please Don't Go)

Hello Little Boy

Person to Person

Cool Kind of Poppa

Kidney Stew Blues

I Didn't Have a Chance

while the discographies (Raben, Jepsen, Bruyninckx, Lord) show:

Good King Day [or Good Kind Daddy]

Person To Person

Kidney Stew

Connections

I'm Free

Please Don't Go

Hello Little Boy

I Didn't Have A Chance

Ebb Tide

showing all as being issued on Bluesville BVLP 1004.

Some are obvious, but some aren't. What gives?

Mike

Here's another bizarre thing -

Can someone explain the differences between discography entries and what is listed by Fantasy for the album "Person To Person" by Mildred Anderson (album with Lockjaw, Shirley Scott, et al.)?

Fantasy shows:

I'm Gettin' Long Alright

I'm Free

Don't Deceive Me (Please Don't Go)

Hello Little Boy

Person to Person

Cool Kind of Poppa

Kidney Stew Blues

I Didn't Have a Chance

while the discographies (Raben, Jepsen, Bruyninckx, Lord) show:

Good King Day [or Good Kind Daddy]

Person To Person

Kidney Stew

Connections

I'm Free

Please Don't Go

Hello Little Boy

I Didn't Have A Chance

Ebb Tide

showing all as being issued on Bluesville BVLP 1004.

Some are obvious, but some aren't. What gives?

Mike

Ruppli agrees with the discographies, the first title is shown as Good King Daddy. Had this LP years ago, but didn't keep it. As fine as the Bluesville series is, I thought this one was a dog! :excited:

I managed to find this:

http://www.wirz.de/music/blvilfrm.htm

which seems to show what is actually listed on the A & B LP sides, from which I infer that:

- Connections = Gettin' 'Long All Right

- I'm Free

- Please Don't Go

- Hello Little Boy

- Person To Person

- Cool Kind Of Poppa (BMI lists Cool Kind Of Papa)

- Kidney Stew

- I Didn't Have A Chance

But where's Ebb Tide?

Here's what Lord CDROM 5.0 shows:

Person to person:

Mildred Anderson (vcl) acc by Eddie Davis (ts) Shirley Scott (org) George Duvivier (b) Arthur Edgehill (d)

Hackensack, N.J., January 20, 1960

1986 Good kind daddy Bluesville BVLP1004

1987 Person to person -

1988 Kidney stew -

1989 Connections -

1990 I'm free -

1991 Please don't go -

1992 Hello little boy -

1993 I didn't have a chance -

1994 Ebb tide -

which is NINE tracks, not eight. Very puzzling.

I would still very much like to hear any explanation for these changes.

Mike

Edited by Michael Fitzgerald

I managed to find this:

http://www.wirz.de/music/blvilfrm.htm

which seems to show what is actually listed on the A & B LP sides, from which I infer that:

- Connections = Gettin' 'Long All Right

- I'm Free

- Please Don't Go

- Hello Little Boy

- Person To Person

- Cool Kind Of Poppa (BMI lists Cool Kind Of Papa)

- Kidney Stew

- I Didn't Have A Chance

But where's Ebb Tide?

Ebb Tide is not on the Bluesville vinyl. Only the eight tracks listed.

'Connections' is plain 'Connections'.

It's 'Good Kind Daddy', not 'Cool Kind of Poppa/Papa'

The Mildred Anderson album is part of the Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis Showcases.

So says the front and back covers and the labels.