The Martini

Alexander

For the longest time, my cocktail of choice was a G&T, but I've recently come around to the wonders of the martini. For myself, I like it very dry with two olives (I agree with Eliot Gould's statement in "M*A*S*H" that one cannot truly savor a martini without an olive). Are there any fellow martini drinkers on the board? And if so, how do you drink it?

Now we're talking! :cool:

My order is invariably "Stoli Martini up with one olive."

Yes, one--can't diminish the vodka to olive real estate proportion by including more than one, imho! And no stuffed olives, either (pimiento is okay)...

I find most places make it dry automatically, usually by pouring just a bit of vermouth in the glass, swirling it, and shaking it out of the glass before pouring the vodka in. At home, I use a "misto" to spray a fine mist of vermouth in the glass (geeky, yeah, but what the hell!) and use "Crater Lake" vodka from the Bend Distillery in Bend, Oregon.

They go down waaaaay too smoothly sometimes!

Great topic--it's 5 o'clock somewhere!

:tup

Although I don't consider it a martini unless it is made with gin, I try not to be dogmatic about it.

I like mine dry using Bombay Sapphire®

My garnish of choice is a lemon peel, first rubbed along the rim, then twisted to release its oils before being dropped into the glass.

And I like to shake mine.

Although I don't consider it a martini unless it is made with gin, I try not to be dogmatic about it.

My garnish of choice is a lemon peel, first rubbed along the rim, then twisted to release its oils before being dropped into the glass.

That's it. No vermouth. You can keep the bottle nearby if you must.

Has to be really cold.

I keep the Bombay Sapphire in the freezer.

Agreed on the vodka "martini" issue. Technically, a martini is a drink made with three parts gin to one part vermouth (I like a little less than one part vermouth. The mister sounds like a good idea!). I also prefer mine shaken (this part, I'm sure, comes from over exposure to James Bond movies as a kid).

Switch that to stirred (James Bond was an idiot!) and you've got my one and only alcoholic indulgence...