The Martini

Alexander

Have not had a martini in about 25 years but I used to be addicted to the drink Al mentioned in the first post.

My God, they are addictive, aren't they? I used to drink one or two G&Ts a MONTH. I think I've had more martinis in the last two weeks than I've had ANY drink in the last year or so! Just had one at my in-laws' house earlier this evening. Sadly, my father-in-law drinks his with a twist, so he didn't have any olives on hand. I drank one his way, and it wasn't bad at all (but I still prefer my olives). Martinis are just so cold and refreshing! My wife can't stand the taste, but as I've always liked the taste of gin, I can't get enough of the damn things. Hope I don't end up in rehab one day! What a way to go! :g

No Martini for a long time, but my preferred way of drinking it would be with Bombay Sapphire (the Gin of choice, too, if I want just a Gin), not much more than a shot of Vermouth (Noilly Prat, obviously), and an Olive. Stirred (I grew up with no TV, so Bond couldn't spoil that... and about Bond: a Martini is done with Gin, indeed! Check out Paul Newman sipping a Martini at the beginning of "Exodus", the Preminger film... that's for style!)

Pour Vermouth over the ice in a pitcher.  Wait 2.5 minutes.  Then pour out the Vermouth.  Pour in the Tanqueray.  Stir lightly.  Then pour into iced martini glasses.  Serve the guests.  Then open a nice bottle of French wine and pour yourself a glass.  You deserve it.

or even better, treat yourself to a taste of Bas Armagnac :P

A la votre :w

My favorite cocktail is a Maker's Mark manhattan.  My martini of choice, however, is Ketel One with only a "wash" of vermouth and one big fat olive.

Maker's Mark in a cheap imitation Jack. Manhattans are good on pancakes.

There must not be any folks from the Bluegrass State on here because, in Kentucky, them's fightin' words. I remember going into a liquor store in Louisville (sometime around the 1997 Derby) and noticing that they, quite deliberately, left weeks and weeks of dust only on the Jack Daniels section. Hilarious...

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite cocktail is a Maker's Mark manhattan.  My martini of choice, however, is Ketel One with only a "wash" of vermouth and one big fat olive.

Maker's Mark in a cheap imitation Jack. Manhattans are good on pancakes.

Upon further review: Jack Daniels is great if you're into the "cool because the American popular culture canon has deemed it to be a tough guy drink" thing. Other than that, it sucks. (See also cheap black coffee.)

Jack is cheap imitation whiskey. Good in coke, but worthless otherwise.

My martini preference will be absolutely scandalous to you people. I like Three Olives chocolate vodka, with a maraschino cherry and a splash of grenadine or maraschino cherry juice. Chocolate Cherry Martini! The drink of the gods (or atleast those REALLY comfortable with their sexuality.)

Edited by md655321

My martini preference will be absolutely scandalous to you people.  I like Three Olives chocolate vodka, with a maraschino cherry and a splash of grenadine or maraschino cherry juice.  Chocolate Cherry Martini!  The drink of the gods (or atleast those REALLY comfortable with their sexuality.)

Far be it for me to criticize, but, sorry...

:bad:

My martini preference will be absolutely scandalous to you people.  I like Three Olives chocolate vodka, with a maraschino cherry and a splash of grenadine or maraschino cherry juice.  Chocolate Cherry Martini!  The drink of the gods (or atleast those REALLY comfortable with their sexuality.)

Far be it for me to criticize, but, sorry...

:bad:

Umm... That's exactly how I feel about martini in general...

I am not a Martini guy, but if you are talking about some kind of alcool I HAVE to drink before lunch, or dinner, I go for Bloody Mary or Mojito. BTW I appreciate more a glass of chilled white wine. Talking about some alcool you LIKE to drink after dinner I am an international drinker so anything goes if it's good: from grappa to armagnac, from aged scotch to age ruhm, and, why not a hot sakè? My choice depends on dinner, wheater, place etc. I mean I love scotch in Scotland and rhum in Cuba. Food and drink must match the landscape IMO.

SALUTE! :party:

Edited by porcy62

Jack is cheap imitation whiskey.  Good in coke, but worthless otherwise.

Explains why you don't like Jack.

I love Burbon, but I can't drink it anymore. Too much sugar.