Yusef Lateef - PSYCHICEMOTUS

JSngry

couw, have you seen Ubu's signature? Means he's real crazy! Obviously a post-military malfunction!

The Lateef reissue comes in a digipak!

Ok ok fellas, I'm a madman, I confess! And this post makes me run to that store after work, yessir!

EDIT: Let me, dear friends, post my current signature here, five times (obviously), for future reference:

post-8-1070966193.gifpost-8-1070966193.gifpost-8-1070966193.gifpost-8-1070966193.gifpost-8-1070966193.gif

Edited by king ubu

...Beautiful DIGIPAK packaging.  ...

So what's going on here? Ubu tells us he saw the Lateef (same batch, right?) in jewel case packaging.

And he's right! At least for the GSA territory (which means Germany-Switzerland-Austria). Though the batch (Barbieri, Ayler, White, Lateef, Payne, Sanders..) was here announced as part of the LPR series it is delivered as "Impulse Originals" and is in Jewel Case Packaging!!! :blush::tdown

My dealer informed me that the majors have totally independent issue schedules for their continental sub-companies. This includes packaging details. And this is the reason why some titles may be available in the US and not yet in Europe - e.g. he hasn't even a release date for the latest batch of Sony/Legacy reissues .....

Ok ok, I wanted to post again myself yesterday, but wasn't online at all.

Two new Verve/Universal series seem to have just been started over here:

"VERVE ORIGINALS" (nice price, prob. 10-13 €)

- Satchmo meets O.Peterson (earlier on VME)

- Sonny Side Up (earlier on VME)

- Quincy Bossa (earlier on VBR)

- Ellington/Hodges "Back to Back (..VME)

- Szabo "Spellbinder"

- Michael White

- Hawk encounters Ben (...VME)

- Pres w/OP (... VME)

- Nina Simone "High Priestess"

- JOS "The Cat" (...VME)

- D. Krall "All for You"

- Gato Chapter 4 "Live in NY"

- Joe Hendersons "Lush Life"

- Benny Carter "Further Definitions"

- Pharoah "Elevation"

"VERVE CLASSICS" (full prize, prob. 16-19 €)

- Ella Meets Louis (...VME?)

- A. C. Jobim ... The Composer (...VME?)

- Love Supreme (yet another version...)

- Getz/Gilberto (...VME)

- Dinah "What Diff'rence a Day Makes" (...VME)

- Basie "April in Paris" (VME)

These are a few of the discs I saw when I went back to that store. Saw also the Lateef, of course, and in another store "Here's to Life", the Horn w/Strings discs.

What I guess from this is: we will no longer get regular VMEs and LPRs here.

What I am confused about is that there is no remastering info on the Originals discs (I have not opened any of the classics, which come in digipacks, looking - from the outside - similar to the Universal France Anniversay ones, which are nicer than the VMEs were they saved carboard on the front... never understood why).

The missing remastering info let me stay away from getting the Lateef. So if anyone knows that these discs *only* use remasterings already done elsewhere (for the LPR series, for the VME series), I would appreciate if that anyone would share this here!

How about the discs like that Shirley Horn or the Joe Henderson? Do they really need a new remastering already? I am aware that the French Anniversary series did offer remasterings of mostly recent (was it 20 yrs they were celebrating, or 25?) discs, but I haven't had a chance to compare any.

Flurin, I doubt there is different remastering on the Lateef.  I wouldn't shy away from it, I just listened to it again for the third time in 36 hours and it's so good. . . .

You're most probably right, but: I put the disc into a player at the shop and caught a few minutes, and was somehow displeased with the sound. Sounded not particularly good at all, just ok.

...Beautiful DIGIPAK packaging.  ...

So what's going on here? Ubu tells us he saw the Lateef (same batch, right?) in jewel case packaging.

And he's right! At least for the GSA territory (which means Germany-Switzerland-Austria). Though the batch (Barbieri, Ayler, White, Lateef, Payne, Sanders..) was here announced as part of the LPR series it is delivered as "Impulse Originals" and is in Jewel Case Packaging!!! :blush::tdown

Do you (or Mike?) happen to know for sure if they use the same remasterings as are being used for the US LPR releases?

The autumn edition of Universal's German jazz promotional magazine, Jazz Echo, lists these as new LPR releases:

Ernie Andrews - This is Ernie Andrews

Ella Fitzgerald - Hello, Dolly

Milton Nascimento - Courage

Jimmy Smith - Stay Loose

Jimmy Witherspoon & Jack McDuff - The Blues Is Now

Marlena Shaw - The Spice of Life

Sarah Vaughan - After Hours at The London House

Dinah Washington - I Wanna Be Loved

I think the Lateef was mentioned in the previous issue, but I don't keep them.

No mention of any new series. Looks to me like some sales initiative.

Jazz Echo (in German)