Yusef Lateef - PSYCHICEMOTUS

JSngry

Pretty nifty stuff. Grounded yet nebulous.

Yusef's got that TONE on all his instruments, and the tone is what tells the story, especially on tenor. This cat understands how the tenor works.

And this is the first time I've really "heard" James Black. NOW I get it.

How many leaders finish an album by letting their pianist have a solo spot?

Slightly off topic, but... for the first time in at least a month I visited a music store here, and saw this Lateef reissue, as well as several other albums in the same series (among them items readily available in their previous editions).

Now what's the deal with this new series? WTF? LPRs, ok - those are the ones that show the finger to the reissue community but we're still buying them for lack of availability... is this new series filling the Verve By Request hole? Price-wise they're cool, but then... what's the use of having discs out both in this nice-prize series and in the VME series simultaneously?

The Vonski is very nice!

I also heard (but don't own) the Shepp one - ok, I'd say (but then I'm cautious of any post... say '77 Shepp). The others I don't know.

Just browsed through the recordings... quite a few! I dimly remember reading about four or five of them in some Penguin (4th ed?) - I think they did not get such favourable reviews there... and some of the covers are pretty tasteless...

Oddly reminiscent of something....ah yes, I've got it:

post-8-1070966193.gif

okay, you saw it. But did you buy it? You should man. Besides whacky, it's pretty very much very brilliant throughout.

spiral_animated2.gif

...you will buy this record......you will buy this record......you will buy this record...

you dear Sirs are slightly whackier than me... no, I didn't buy it (even if prized at 19.50 Franks - you won't get a new disc cheaper in a regular shop - it's too expensive, I assume... and I should cut back, as you, Mr. couw, are aware...)

but now: is this the way the releases that once were LPRs look now? Or is this a new series of Verve reissues?

but now: is this the way the releases that once were LPRs look now? Or is this a new series of Verve reissues?

what did this look like then? The mini-LP replicas have been abandoned for a couple of batches already in favour of digipacs with a foldout in the cover. The LPR series seems to have some interesting people at the helm, some have cool stoopid tastes, others are more interested in the classics and yet others like the whacky bits. Of course it's a pity there are no alternate takes, left-overs and the lot on these disks, but other than that, it works for me.

No doubt this particular album will pop up at a more friendly price if you wait a bit. I'll keep my eyes open as I will want to replace my vinyl dub myself.

what did this look like then? The mini-LP replicas have been abandoned for a couple of batches already in favour of digipacs with a foldout in the cover. The LPR series seems to have some interesting people at the helm, some have cool stoopid tastes, others are more interested in the classics and yet others like the whacky bits. Of course it's a pity there are no alternate takes, left-overs and the lot on these disks, but other than that, it works for me.

No doubt this particular album will pop up at a more friendly price if you wait a bit. I'll keep my eyes open as I will want to replace my vinyl dub myself.

Normal Jewel Box packaging. Like several other new Verve releases I saw. more than a dozen - they included a Shirley Horn (the one with Miles I think), a Satchmo (available as a VME already, I think), Gato Chapter 4 and many more, some good to see, some weird. I think also a Pres (the one with OP maybe?)...

...Beautiful DIGIPAK packaging.  ...

So what's going on here? Ubu tells us he saw the Lateef (same batch, right?) in jewel case packaging.

Maybe I got crazy from looking at my signature?

Or could that be another Verve/Universal series that is releasing this and the Gato Chapter 4? Or am I just completely out of my mind? Or is there another new reissue of Brother Yusef's? Won't be able to check back at the store this week, and once they've sold it they won't restock, I guess... (they had two of the recent Sony/Legacy reissue... how's that?)