Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane

Cliff Englewood

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I talked my local indie retailer in to letting me have a copy today.

It's real, and it's SPECTACULAR!

There is no copy protection on the U.S. version.

The paper for the booklet is non-glossy. Very nice quality.

The recording quality is very good. A nice, clean mono recording.

:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

Edited by Jim Dye

I thought I'd be waiting because I ordered this together with the Cellar Door sessions from CDU.  Never cancelled the Trane/Monk, and lo and behold:  today I got the following:

CD 1 1 At Carnegie Hall by Monk, Thel $13.29 Shipped 1 on Sep 26, 2005

(even though the order was marked "Ship Together").

:rlol

Same thing happened to me, though I was kind of expecting it. I think the last time it happened was when I ordered a Dexter Gordon Black Lion reissue on 1201. It was backordered 3 to 5 days holding up the order. I didn't pay attention and after 5 days they shipped the rest. Oh heck, what am I saying, this happened with a Don Byas issue on the same label last week! :rolleyes: I've since learned to cancell the backorder after the order ships and have them e-mail me when they really have it.

So the bright side of all this is that I have a Monk/Coltrane that'll be here in a week that will get a lot more attention (and deservedly so) as Sony once again pulls the rug out from under us.

Edited by Quincy

Just picked up a copy of this today in Tower in Dublin, for a mere €9.99. Apparently they have had them since Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could have been listening to this at the weekend, :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  .

Can't wait to get home and give it a spin,  :D  :D  :D .

It's out here too. Copy-controlled :angry:

Will wait for the Mosaic vinyl...

Couldn't agree more with Clifford regarding the Coltrane circa 1964 reference. It's the first thing I thought of when I heard, the virtual duet that is, "Monk's Mood". Reminds me of his playing on "Cresent" or "Ballads".

Also, I think a few of these particular renditions, "Bye-Ya" and "Blue Monk" specifically, will soon be seen as the definitive performances of these tunes. Not just because it's Coltrane or because of the rarity of the recording but simply because Monk was really enjoying playing his tunes on a quality piano in a Hall with good acoustics. This was quite a rarity for a Jazz muscian in those times, as is fairly common knowledge, and this point is made in the liners, but I don't think it was made strongly enough.

Think of it, they had been playing regularly in a small "dive" with, probably, a fairly crap piano, then find themselves playing the same music in Carnegie Hall!!!!!!!!!!! Enough to put a smile on anyones face. I think you can "hear" that smile on the introductions to "Bye-Ya" and "Blue Monk", a real "now this is how it's supposed to sound" kind of joy. I think Trane picks up on this and it makes the interactions all the better.

Sound quality is, i.m.h.o., excellent, if I had to nit-pick I'd say the Bass isn't loud enough in the early show, but seems to be better in the later show.

I was also really impressed with Shadow Wilson, it might be just me, but he really seems to give everything a Latin kick. Great variety to his playing, on the strength of this recording, he is giving Art Blakey a real run for his money for the title of "Monk's Perfect Drummer".

Anyway I've only listened to this around 3 times, but so far, it really is excellent and well worth all the hype, it can only get better :D:D:D

I just walked down to Border's and picked this one up. When you get it, look on the inside of the booklet and check out the rest of the "Thanksgiving Jazz" lineup. My word. And all for the princely top end price of $3.95. I can't help but wonder that if the Voice of America taped Monk and Coltrane that night, is there any reason to think they wouldn't have taped Billie, Dizzy, Ray Charles, Chet w/ Zoot and Sonny Rollins? Perhaps we have other releases to look forward to that were recorded on the very same evening?

Up over and out.

Just picked it up.  One of the all-time greatest sessions ever.  Sound is really nice except the drums are too hot especially the annoying bass drum.

Music-A plus.

Cover-my grandma did it on her new computer. :P

I agree about the drums and frankly on first listen, but only a a Discman portable cd player, I wouldn't say the sound is really nice. Much better obviously than the Naima 5 Spot recording.