Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane

Cliff Englewood

At times, I don't even realize that Coltrane is playing. Some of the unison sections on the slower tempo tunes, he finds a way to blend into Monk so well.

That's the thing that's become increasingly intriguing to me - listening to Trane's phrasing/articulation on the heads. Very unique in comparison to other Monk saxophonists, and, yes, more often than not perfectly melded with Monk's.

Yes. It also seems to me that these are slightly more elaborate arrangements than you usually find with Monk quartets. I just saw the promotional tv show about the the cd in which Monk's son talks about how much time Trane spent in their apartment rehearsing with Monk.

BTW (And I know I asked this before) but has anyone besides me compared this concert to the

set from September 11, 1958 that was released by Blue Note a few years ago? It seems much more like an unrehearsed blowing session.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I just received the vinyl version of this :)

On the back cover, they credit the ATTORNEYS from both the Monk and Coltrane families. I was about to make some "sign of the times" type crack, but then I reasonsed, hell, as quickly as this came out, there had to be some damn fine lawyerin' involved (in dramatic contrast to the Cellar Door mess). So hooray for the lawyers!!!

This is the first Mosaic vinyl I have bought since ... Tina Brooks!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I just received the vinyl version of this :)

On the back cover, they credit the ATTORNEYS from both the Monk and Coltrane families. I was about to make some "sign of the times" type crack, but then I reasonsed, hell, as quickly as this came out, there had to be some damn fine lawyerin' involved (in dramatic contrast to the Cellar Door mess). So hooray for the lawyers!!!

This is the first Mosaic vinyl I have bought since ... Tina Brooks!!!

Soundwise, what are your impressions of the Mosaic vinyl Monk/Coltrane? Seems like I have to turn my volume up pretty high to get all the sound I like. I wasn't sure why this should be the case. Did you happen to notice anything like this?

Zeno

Edited by Zeno